Main Menu

The PS4 (Orbis) and XBOX720 (Nextbox) Mega thread!

Started by Darren Stephens, 06 February, 2013, 07:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

optimusjamie

Back to the topic, I've seen some pretty disturbing stuff when it comes to the Xbone's telescreen Kinect features and how they could violate the user's privacy.

Professor Bear

I don't think there's anything Big-Brother-ish or sinister to the whole "it counts how many people are in the room" stuff beyond plain old capitalism - though the recent PRISM revelations are disheartening.

Anyway, GOOD NEWS EVERYONE as Microsoft makes a total u-turn on DRM and once-a-day internet connectivity, a move allegedly prompted by servicemen and women in the US military beginning to organise an anti-Microsoft PR campaign.  Much as many people will be relieved to be able to play second-hand games if they wish, I am sort of disappointed that we won't get to see the US military declare war on Microsoft.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/06/19/microsoft-to-reverse-xbox-one-policies-after-fan-revolt/

Now if they can just make it 100 dollars/50 pounds cheaper this will be a two-horse race again.

Radbacker

holy shit, it took US military intervention to stop Microsoft's nefarious plans  :lol:

I think the bigger news there (at least for Aussies) is the dropping of region locking, either games get cheaper here or everyone will just start importing, even with postage and the $A dropping the last couple of seeks it'll still be $20-$30 cheaper for new releases.  I wonder if Sony will follow that lead.

CU Radbacker

sheldipez

Quote from: Radbacker on 20 June, 2013, 01:50:40 PM
holy shit, it took US military intervention to stop Microsoft's nefarious plans  :lol:

The shareholders spoke, Microsoft forced to listen.

Next in Microsoft news the start button is coming back to Windows 8, due to popular demand.
Microsoft - we have no idea what we're doing but please buy our stuff.

Satanist

The only way MS can get me back on board is if they announce they are funding Shenmue 3.

So PS4 it is then.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Professor Bear

The trade-off for dropping the DRM seems to be that to make more of a profit they've imposed even stricter controls on their downloadable games so that a "limited number" of friends and family can no longer play them, only the account holder, and that the cloud aspect of games processing will be a paid service - when implemented - rather than included with the price of the game.  I expect the XBL sub will be higher than on the 360, too, and it's worth noting that Microsoft has a patent on the software/technology to let the Kinect spy on you and limit your video playback based on how many people are in the room, and that the DRM management is still built-in to the One to the extent that it requires a connection to the internet on the day you first set it up to enable offline play.  There's an article somewhere where someone asks a Microsoft bod if he can offer assurances that DRM measures won't just be activated later and he replies "I can't", so make of that what you may.

von Boom

My biggest peeve about the new Xbox is there is no component cable connectivity. I don't have a modern hdmi tv and see no reason to buy one yet. I'm not going to lash out on an overpriced game console only to have to spend just as much on a tv I don't need.

radiator

Flatscreen TVs are hardly expensive these days are they? You can probably pick one up for under £100 from your local Tesco.

Also:

QuoteI don't have a modern hdmi tv and see no reason to buy one yet.

Quotethe new Xbox is there is no component cable connectivity.

There's your reason right there.

von Boom

True, but what do I do with the tv I've got now? It's still HD, just not hdmi. Fecking microsoft deciding what I should and should not own. I'm not impressed.

sheldipez

Quote from: von Boom on 20 June, 2013, 03:30:04 PM
True, but what do I do with the tv I've got now? It's still HD, just not hdmi. Fecking microsoft deciding what I should and should not own. I'm not impressed.

As much as I hate on them when they deserve it's not really just a microsoft thing though, component support is being dropped on some blu ray players and new TV's too as HDMI is preferred by the big companies for encryption protection.

Though it's nice as I too prefer component so I can use the red & white audio cables for my sound system (doesn't have a optical input sadly) but I wouldn't give Microsoft money at this point other for them to go away.

I'm pleasantly surprised Sony are keeping component support.

radiator

I can understand someone getting the arse if they'd gone HD only 6 or 7 years ago, but I really don't think it's that unreasonable now. It's a bit like moaning that you can't buy a copy of Man of Steel on VHS.

I, Cosh

I didn't know you could get an HD telly without an HDMI input.
We never really die.

von Boom

Quote from: radiator on 20 June, 2013, 04:36:42 PM
It's a bit like moaning that you can't buy a copy of Man of Steel on VHS.

VHS? I'm still irked about Beta being discontinued.

JamesC

Only if your TV has a component input which many don't.