Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 January, 2015, 03:15:25 PM
Me too.  Weird how growing older means that science grows older too, and thus you constantly have to adjust your mental image of things you've never seen.  It was disappointing to find out that tyrannosaurs didn't stand menacingly upright after all; but far more so to discover they had fecking feathers.

Everyone knows that Tyrannosaurs were furry (see Flesh Book One and Dinosty for details).

ZenArcade

Several tons of ill disposed; single minded carnivire would have been a bad boy/girl to meet, feathered or not. Z  :D
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

I too am sceptical of the tinnitus cure. Check out mainstream medical sites and herbal/natural remedy sites as well. If those greedy pharmaceuticalists and crazy herbalists haven't found a cure yet I"m pretty sure Mr Buymybook hasn't either. Although there is a small chance I could be wrong.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

According to the video, it wasn't so much him discovering the cure as Oxford researchers.
Theyre not making it available yet as they have to go through the correct procedures which will take years.

As this guy is not in the medical profession he isn't restricted.

Don't get me wrong. I'm skeptical too. Just providing devil's advocate as it were.

I particularly disliked the bit at the start where he mentioned 'doctors lying about there be in no cure for tinnitus.   Even if it is for real, if it's a new thing , then they'd be ignorant of it, yes? How is speaking what they understand to be true a lie?

The fact he is taking that tactic to sell his book doesn't really give him much credence.

But... I'm curious and hopeful. Personally if it's for real I think he should only charge enough to cover the costs of book production and delivery but I'm naive about these things.

Theblazeuk

Sounds like absolute bollocks to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myelin

If your diet could spur the regeneration of myelin, that'd be.... immense. Neurologists would be weeping with joy.

In any case, dietary changes are not pharmaceuticals. They don't need to test a banana and put it through NICE and trials and so on to tell you it's a good source of potassium and you should probably put down the chips and eat some of them from time to time. And taking that into account, there are various tests which appear to have shown a tendency for vitamin D and B12 deficiencies in adults with tinnitus. Something which you can remedy easily with a quick trip to the pharmacy and some multivitamins. No need to spend £33 on this chap's book.

Seems like a team in Leicester is actually the one with the latest studies on the matter, so the cynical part of me says that Oxford reference is a calculated attempt at acquiring prestige.
http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/press-releases/2014/february/tinnitus-study-signals-new-advance-in-understanding-link-between-exposure-to-loud-sounds-and-hearing-loss

Jim_Campbell

Dunno if anyone else is listening to the Infinite Monkey Cage just now, but we've had a couple of very interesting snippets that I hadn't heard: that there's a large, salt water body with roughly the same salinity as Earth's oceans under the ice on Enceladus that is likely to contain compounds "of biological interest", and that the Rosetta mission has detected long-chain carbon molecules and amino acids on 67P...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

67 p is that a stellar catalogue number for Pegasus or Perseus? Z

TordelBack

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 February, 2015, 05:46:11 PM
The P stands for 'periodic comet'. 

And was substantially quicker to type than Churyumov–Gerasimenko.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 February, 2015, 04:59:20 PM
Dunno if anyone else is listening to the Infinite Monkey Cage just now, but we've had a couple of very interesting snippets that I hadn't heard: that there's a large, salt water body with roughly the same salinity as Earth's oceans under the ice on Enceladus that is likely to contain compounds "of biological interest", and that the Rosetta mission has detected long-chain carbon molecules and amino acids on 67P...

That's today's work-based listening material sorted - thanks, Jim.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ZenArcade

And Charon. Cant wait to see the high res stuff from the fly-by. Z

Theblazeuk

Stumbling across some anti-vaccination stuff made me (once again) appreciate how fantastic science is, because from the perspective of the pre-jenner days I am like a superhuman thanks to science. I'm (likely) immune to hepatitis, rabies, polio, poxes of varius types, tetanus, TB, and probably more from before I started to be interested in this stuff.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 07 February, 2015, 06:04:14 PM
Stumbling across some anti-vaccination stuff made me (once again) appreciate how fantastic science is, because from the perspective of the pre-jenner days I am like a superhuman thanks to science. I'm (likely) immune to hepatitis, rabies, polio, poxes of varius types, tetanus, TB, and probably more from before I started to be interested in this stuff.

Of course, that also makes you autistic with an inflamed colon.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"