Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: The Monarch on 18 November, 2019, 02:10:49 PM
man that discussion at the end was interesting i need to reread summer magic now.

is this the first time you decided to monkey around with the strip order?

At least once I've moved things around to have a Pat Mills Power Hour, and I cluster Future Shocks at the end of the show. Otherwise I try to put the thrills in the order they appear in the first prog we cover, then add new ones on top of that.

Hopefully things didn't get too heady with the Summer Magic talk, but Fox and I ended up being pretty freaked out by it so we had to discuss it!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Could be wrong, but I'm sure I read that Pat Mills trained as an accountant at some point in his pre-writerly life, so the bit about the caretaker robot could work on levels beyond the obvious.

Colin YNWA

Majestic episode.

The discussion on Summer Magic is everything I love about this show. Its such a breezey engaging funny listen, but tucked in there is so much smart, fresh insight into stories that many of us have read so many times we can get a bit jaded and entrenched in our views on them.

The way you read Summer Magic was so different to mine, which has changed over the years, yet felt so clear and apparent. I'd read Summer Magic back in the day as it came out weekly as just a 2000ad dark take on the classic boys own adventure. Doing what 2000ad does so well. Taking something from mainstream culture and spinning it into a dark twisted corner.

On later reading I've never bought into the Harry Potter thing it feels such a shallow link. Due to its setting early 60s I've seen it as a tale about the fall of Empire. The new world at first admiring the old and being shaped by it, but then being exposed to its dark and vicious reality. To move past that the new has to remove the old and yet still has the same ambition underneath, all be it with the hope of youth.

Now as you say whether that was the intent of Alan MacKenzie and John Ridgway I don't know and frankly doesn't matter. As its my reading that counts, as your reading is what counts to you, we make our own stories from what we are given. What the pair of you have done and do so regularly on your glorious podcast, is made me really want to go back to re-read the story with fresh insight and possiblities. the best stories allow you to do that and the best commentors inspire that. And that's you two, your damnable youth, energy and smart taking us old traditionalists and shaking up our entrenched old world order with fresh understanding.

May the sun never set on Space Spinner 2000.

Dandontdare

When Summer Magic came out it was pre-Potter of course, but I remember thinking it was clearly ripping off The Dark is Rising books by Susan Cooper - both feature children who go to stay with their mysterious uncle in the country, who turns out to be a powerful magician and get drawn into Arthurian legend and the battle between light and dark.

Summer Magic however had an ending that was a typically dark 2000ad twist;  which I did not see coming, and it turned the whole story on it's head. It's a damn shame the series was never finished, as I wonder what may have happened in the final books.

SpaceSpinner2000

Thanks for your kind words everyone, and I'm glad our take on Summer Magic is causing people to reread the story!  Fox and I had a big discussion about it off air that really made it feel like we had to bring it on the show (which is unusual for us, our general motto is "anything worth saying about the thrills is worth saving for the show.") Hopefully it didn't get to heady or ridiculous, and we are definitely reading a lot into the story, but I think that's part of the fun!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

Synth Out! It's the twentieth in our series of Space Spinner 2000 collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

Grab your buddies, alive or dead, and let's head out on the trail of the Traitor General with Rogue Trooper! One of the Mount Rushmore 2000AD characters- and the only one besides Dredd is an official video game-Rogue and his comrades Helm, Gunnar, and Bagman are traveling the world, fighting everyone they come across. This episode will introduce us to Rogue and his world: His bio-chipped buddies, the endless war between the Norts and the Southers on a poisoned planet known as Nu-Earth.

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and eighty-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 579-582 of 2000AD, covering June and July 1988. This episode Bad Company is thinning out, Dredd wears out a full mental jacket, the ABC Warriors are heading out, and the new Strontium Dog is headed for a no-go!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad, much appreciated as always.

I think this is the first time Strontium Dog has ever been in the 'worst thrill' category. SD was so consistently strong until these personnel changes so the drop-off is quite jarring. I had stopped reading 2000AD before this happened and so I never witnessed it at the time but I do know things eventually come good since I have bought the Life And Death Of Johnny Alpha trade since returning. It could be a long time though.

This is all new territory for me, as we are reading it, and I feel like Dredd is carrying the prog right now since I am not enjoying Bad Company or ABC Warriors as much as you guys seem to since I find them hard to follow. Strontium Dog and Zenith were great in the early part of 88 and kept a good balance back then and I can see that we have Slaine, Nemesis and Zenith returning so I am expecting the current form to be a temporary dip.

SpaceSpinner2000

I think we come around on Harrison's art reasonably quickly, I think this episode we're very much venting our spleens on the new guy! It is a shocking change imo, most 2000AD stories either change artists early and frequently (Dredd, Rogue Trooper, and Slaine are examples of this) or have a pretty steady creative team. The last time I can think of a big change like the on in Strontium Dog was Talbot taking over for O'Neill in Nemesis, and his style really fit the dark victorian feel of the Gothic Empire in a way that Harrison's style doesn't really fit Johnny Alpha and the Dog House.

I'm interested to see how we get on with the upcoming big story, I remember not liking Feral that much the first time 'round, but I'm will to reevaluate my stance!

The Monarch

ah yes the big stront story i cannot wait for coverage on that

WhizzBang

Quote from: The Monarch on 28 November, 2019, 10:46:43 AM
ah yes the big stront story i cannot wait for coverage on that
The Dead Man is the one I am most looking forward to. I only read it in graphic novel form decades after it was published but it is clear that it would have been quite an experience to read it at the time so I am looking forward to hearing Fox'x views on it as it unfolds.

SpaceSpinner2000

Yes, I messed up and released this episode a day early. It's a Thanksgiving week miracle!

In our thrilling hundred and eighty-fifth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 583-586 of 2000AD, covering July and August 1988. This episode Johnny Alpha gets involved in feud business, Bad Company gets to the heart of the matter, we'll learn some Tribal memories, Tyranny Rex is under foreign skies, Nemesis arrives to bring some death, and Judge Dredd deals with hot dogs, batmen, and bloodlines! Also, it all depends on the cheese. EXACTLY!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Steve Green

The Danny Franks Krool Heart must be the source of all annual text stories.

sheridan

Don't remember that song...  Probably blocked it out (or perhaps you mercifully cut it short before the hook).

Just started listening now so don't know what the content is, but is this the one with the Judgefather?  That's a rhetorical question, I'm sure I'll find out within about half an hour of listening.

Leigh S

I can spend Sunday marvelling at my Dredd minis and listening to Space Spinner?  This more than makes up for late prog!