Main Menu

Battle Action returns as original graphic novel.

Started by O Lucky Stevie!, 06 January, 2022, 11:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I'm so glad I don't decide what gets published - because if you'd asked me whether they should do more Battle/Action, I'd have said no - stop living in the past. But that cover, and that line-up, makes it a no-brainer, must-have.

Really looking forward to this.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 07 January, 2022, 03:31:53 AM
Great to have Andy Clarke back at the House of Tharg, innit?

Great to have him back full stop.  His work on Relay was something special.  It was a shame he dropped out of sight for so long and that series folded.  Not entirely sure what happened to him.  ISTR that it was health reasons behind his extended sabbatical but I could be wrong.  Certainly it was hard to find out what happened there.

Given the quality of Ennis' war comic output plus the artistic talent lined up for this it is hard to not to have a total geek out.  Webshop exclusive cover?  Yes please!!!!!!!!!!!!

paddykafka

Between this project and the upcoming release of 'The Sarge', the day when I will be forced to swap out my bed for a hammock - to provide room for another bookcase / shelving space - draws perilously closer.  :)

Proudhuff

Take my money!! Hopefully a nice hardback to match recent releases?
DDT did a job on me

oshii

This is really interesting - and exciting

Sounds like it's more of another special but in a nicer format, than a "original graphic novel" as such, unless Garth has got an idea to do a Trifecta and link all the stories.

Very exciting to see Rebellion have the confidence to release something like this with a talent line up that strong

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Thanks for sharing Broodblik. Love the way he very quickly waves away the idea that this is a graphic novel and dismisses that as marketing speak - with apologise to Molch-R. Sounds like this is very much a natural successor to the Battle of Britain Special. Saidly also suggests the idea of a hardcover is also out the picture.

Figures crossed it doesn't take Garth pushing to get another one. That said I'm getting way ahead of myself there!

IndigoPrime

Ennis comes across like a good egg. Nice to see him still singing the praises of 2000 AD as well.

Richard

QuoteSadly also suggests the idea of a hardcover is also out the picture.

He doesn't say that, and the article clearly states more than once that this is a hardcover.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Richard on 09 January, 2022, 06:59:39 PM
QuoteSadly also suggests the idea of a hardcover is also out the picture.

He doesn't say that, and the article clearly states more than once that this is a hardcover.

What you expect me to actually read it before commenting - Jez what do you take me for...

...or to put it another way that really is embarrassing!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 January, 2022, 03:24:40 PM
Ennis comes across like a good egg. Nice to see him still singing the praises of 2000 AD as well.

When Garth took over as regular Dredd writer, I really, really hated him. To an irrational extent really , I blamed him for 2000ad's turn for the worse even though it was clearly the Thargs of the day.   But I still hate most of the Dredds he wrote back then.

I never thought the day would come when I looked forward to his work more than pretty much any other regular comics writer but here we are.  I love Garth's stuff and he's ideally suited to this project. I can't wait.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

His original run on Dredd was quite varied. There are some truly horrible stories like Muzak Killer Live and A Man Called Greener. But he also did Raider, which I like very much (and so did Karl Urban), and Justice One, and Twilight's Last Gleaming. And he was much better than everyone who came next until Wagner came back.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richard on 10 January, 2022, 08:00:19 PM
But he also did Raider, which I like very much (and so did Karl Urban), and Justice One

Justice One where the wonderful Judge Proudfoot was killed off...
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 January, 2022, 07:46:38 PM

What you expect me to actually read it before commenting - Jez what do you take me for...

Or even the first line:
With the exciting news of a new hardcover Battle-Action Special from 2000AD publisher Rebellion, launching in June,

:lol:
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

First line, FIRST LINE. I stopped after "With the exciting news of a..." and clearly was able to form an entirely satisfactory opinion. Jez...