Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Low

Quote from: Robin Low on 09 May, 2010, 04:44:16 PM
I've been trying to figure out who should be in charge...

Conservative - Votes: 10,706,647 -- 36.1%
Labour - Votes: 8,604,358 -- 29.0%
Liberal Democrat - Votes: 6,827,938 -- 23.0%

Only 36.1% of voters want the Conservative in charge.

Only 23% want the Lib Dems involved in government, but they're the ones who are the deciding factor.

If they both end up in charge, you disenfranchise ~40% of the population. If the Lib Dems and Labour got together, you'd disenfranchise ~48% of the population. Neither of those are insignificant minorities.

It seems to me that the real problem here is having to have a Prime Minister who is the leader of a party. What might be better is a cabinet whose members are elected by the MPs, with a PM elected by the elected cabinet. EDIT: This probably falls apart if one party has a huge majority.

Okay, that's a simplistic off-the-cuff idea. Come kick it around until it works.

Regards

Robin

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Robin Low on 09 May, 2010, 04:21:34 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 09 May, 2010, 03:54:23 PMA chorus of disapproval and reflex actions caused by cognitive dissonance because a lot of people cant handle the truth.

*shrug* That could as easily be said about you as anyone else.

Regards

Robin

I havent got time for squabbling with you.

Its all becoming very clear what is going on here.

This election result is all a sham because even in a Hung Parliament you still dont have any across the board power sharing going on.Conservatives immediately offered to work with LibDems but not with Labour.Labour or Brown showed willingness to work with the conservatives and LibDems but i never followed that one up and now i cant find any reference to it on Google.

So no real power sharing going on because LibDems will join Conservatives and wont really have that much influence in the longer term so Conservatives will become the defacto ruling Majority govt rather than a minority govt and Labour will revert back to being in opposition again for the next 5 years.

This is clearly not a coalition government.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Robin Low

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 09 May, 2010, 05:34:40 PM

Given your normal posting rate, that surprises me.

Regards

Robin

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Robin Low on 09 May, 2010, 05:46:42 PM

Regards

Robin

There you go again.You sounded like you wanted this thread to end in a flaming session but i wont be doing that.

I have lost respect for you now.

Robin Low

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 09 May, 2010, 05:51:33 PM

Regards

Robin

There you go again.You sounded like you wanted this thread to end in a flaming session but i wont be doing that.

Your post count is about eight times what mine is - it was hardly an unreasonable observation and certainly not hostile enough to be considered flaming.

Regards

Robin

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Robin Low on 09 May, 2010, 06:53:20 PM

Regards

Robin

Your post count is about eight times what mine is - it was hardly an unreasonable observation and certainly not hostile enough to be considered flaming.

Regards

Robin

So what ?

What has my post rate got to do with what is being talked about here ?

Is this an attempt at muckraking ?

Its totally irrelevent because i said that i have no wish to squabble with you yet you chose to start being personal.

Also i didnt say that your comments were flaming up till now but its very clear to me how this could end which is why i said "I dont have time to squabble with you" which means i am not interested.

That was an attempt at spin but it was a failure.Just give it up.

House of Usher

Quote from: Robin Low on 09 May, 2010, 04:13:37 PM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 09 May, 2010, 01:54:35 PM
Don't get me on about 'Team FUCKING Building exercises'  >:( anyway I'm moving off the subject ::)
Never been on or been offered a team building exercise - not aware of anyone else who has, either.

You get team building exercizes in any large organization that takes management science guff seriously. I've had one recently as part of a larger training session not exclusively devoted to team building. It wasn't very useful to me, and if I were a trainer I wouldn't have used it, except maybe to fill time for which I was getting paid a consultancy fee.

I would echo what Robin said about higher tier management performing a necessary role, and what happens when their work gets shared out lower down the chain. Mistakes are made, and what gets delivered back up to the top tier ends up not being what the top wanted, expected, or promised customers.

By the way, plans have been in the pipeline for the past year to reduce budgets, freeze recruitment and even do away with a few senior posts altogether. Senior managers who leave the organization are not being replaced. Whether or not this has an adverse effect on quality and delivery only time will tell.
STRIKE !!!

Robin Low

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 09 May, 2010, 07:15:25 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 09 May, 2010, 06:53:20 PM

Regards

Robin

Regards

Robin

So what ?

What has my post rate got to do with what is being talked about here ?

Is this an attempt at muckraking ?

Its totally irrelevent because i said that i have no wish to squabble with you yet you chose to start being personal.

Also i didnt say that your comments were flaming up till now but its very clear to me how this could end which is why i said "I dont have time to squabble with you" which means i am not interested.

That was an attempt at spin but it was a failure.Just give it up.

Peter, you said you didn't have time for squabbling. I was pointing out that your high post rate suggests that you have have plenty of time to spare. As I said, not an unreasonable observation, nor hostile, and certainly not muckraking or spin.

As I'm sure others will tell you, I never give up.

Regards

Robin

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Robin Low on 09 May, 2010, 08:02:12 PM

Listen, and understand. Robin Low is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you concede his point.

:-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Leave this thread if you want to live?
Lock up your spoons!

Peter Wolf

Peter, you said you didn't have time for squabbling. I was pointing out that your high post rate suggests that you have have plenty of time to spare. As I said, not an unreasonable observation, nor hostile, and certainly not muckraking or spin.

Regards

Robin

How much time i may or may not have to spare is irrelevent like my post count as i clearly said i am not interested.The reason i am posting this is just to make myself clear rather than argue.

It does sound like you are after something here but unless you have anything interesting or constructive to say our conversation is over.I have the upper hand here.

You obviously dont know me very well at all either.

My personal record is 15 LONG replies to 15 long replies before the individual who i was arguing with gave up. Anyway i really dont have time for this at all and it would be a shame to ruin the thread dont you think ?

Matt Timson

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 09 May, 2010, 08:30:09 PM

Regards

Robin

How much time i may or may not have to spare is irrelevent like my post count as i clearly said i am not interested.The reason i am posting this is just to make myself clear rather than argue.

It does sound like you are after something here but unless you have anything interesting or constructive to say our conversation is over.I have the upper hand here.

You obviously dont know me very well at all either.

My personal record is 15 LONG replies to 15 long replies before the individual who i was arguing with gave up. Anyway i really dont have time for this at all and it would be a shame to ruin the thread dont you think ?

Irresistible force, meet immovable object...

;)
Pffft...

Roger Godpleton

I want to watch them have sex.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Robin Low

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 09 May, 2010, 09:16:38 PM
I want to watch them have sex.

I suspect the foreplay would last for days...

Regards

Robin

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Robin Low on 09 May, 2010, 10:07:43 PM
I suspect the foreplay would last for days...

Holy Christ! I need to WASH MY BRAIN!

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.