Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 31 July, 2010, 11:46:22 AM
Its not dead at all as it is just in a coma the majority of the time.

Just like real politics.

Also, ya-boo!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Peter Wolf

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 31 July, 2010, 12:49:34 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 31 July, 2010, 11:46:22 AM
Its not dead at all as it is just in a coma the majority of the time.

Just like real politics.

Also, ya-boo!

I am enjoying the Wilikleaks/Mainstream media Dog and Pony show !   :D
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

I see David Cameron has managed to offend both Israel and Pakistan in a single day.
STRIKE !!!

Something Fishy

Quote from: House of Usher on 31 July, 2010, 01:47:22 PM
I see David Cameron has managed to offend both Israel and Pakistan in a single day.

he's done well just two weeks after offending his own war heroes.

From what I can tell, the guys a bit of an idiot.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: House of Usher on 31 July, 2010, 01:47:22 PM

at least he's spreading his bigotry around.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Definitely  ::) - It's a ridiculous story. Some highlights:
"the laws don't exist in reality, only on paper" - huh?
"ignoring this will have fatal consequences" - no it won't.

The internet is full of some strange and deluded people, but nouveau-royalist paranoid conspiracy theorists are a new one on me though! You have to go quite far down before we get the Obama-bashing and World government nonsense. And then it goes on to advertise some "internet solutions" that will protect you from the microsoft/google/NSA/CIA conspiracy. The net equivalent of a tinfoil hat, or an elaborate spamming excercise to sell software to gullible conspiracy nuts - you decide.

Mikey

What do you think yourself Shark?

I'm with DDD block. I think that such sites would be much more convincing, or at least feasibly credible, if they wouldn't throw around emotive language so much.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 August, 2010, 09:33:48 AM
but nouveau-royalist paranoid conspiracy theorists are a new one on me though!

What the hell do you do on the intertubes, Dan? Look up pr0n? Well, pull up yer breeks and get with it!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

The Legendary Shark

Yeah, I thought pretty much what Dan thought - however, the dodgy removal of the peers from the House of Lords is interesting, constitutionally speaking.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 August, 2010, 01:16:44 PM
Yeah, I thought pretty much what Dan thought - however, the dodgy removal of the peers from the House of Lords is interesting, constitutionally speaking.

But the UK does not have a constitution, and never has - our laws are made up as we go along, based on votes in parliament and legal precedent.  In the USA a law can be struck down because it does not conform to the constitution, which trumps everything else, but we don't have that. So to say such and such a law in the UK is not valid is bollocks - if parliament passed it, it's valid and supercedes everything that has gone before.

Personally, I support the creation of a binding constitution that sets out certain principles and freedoms, but it's a whole big can o'worms that nobody seems keen to tackle.

Quote from: Mikey on 04 August, 2010, 01:07:55 PM
What the hell do you do on the intertubes, Dan? Look up pr0n? Well, pull up yer breeks and get with it!
:-[ ahem, no no of course not *rapidly deletes browsing history*.

The Legendary Shark

It's not strictly true that Britain has no constitution. Unlike the United States, which has a written Constitution, ours is contained in several documents such as Magna Carta, acts of Parliament and court judgements along with other aspects such as parliamentary constitutional conventions and royal prerogatives. It's all a bit of an unholy mess, really, and I think that we probably should have a proper, codified constitution to protect both the British people and the integrity of our Parliament.

That said, it has worked well in the past (until Europe began sticking its oar in) - no parliament could pass a law ignoring the aforementioned documents etc without repealing those old statutes or laws first. For example, Parliament couldn't pass a law requiring all blue eyed babies to be killed without a hell of a lot of prior destruction of existing statutes, legislation or laws. Just passing a bill saying something is so, doesn't automatically make it law. At least, that's how I understand it (which is, admittedly, probably not very well).
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 August, 2010, 09:33:48 AM

And then it goes on to advertise some "internet solutions" that will protect you from the microsoft/google/NSA/CIA conspiracy. The net equivalent of a tinfoil hat, or an elaborate spamming excercise to sell software to gullible conspiracy nuts - you decide.

Google and Microsoft and Facebook,Twitter etc are all working with the NSA/CIA to varying degrees.This is official and its mostly about sharing information.Its also common knowledge that computer software and microchips [IntelInside - as if the name isnt obvious enough!] and anti-virus software etc are all compromised or more accurately were specifically designed/written to allow govt intelligence agencies access to your computer.

This is very well documented.

Its actually more absurd to imagine that intelligence agencies/govt dont have any ties with Google etc.

You need to cross reference before you dismiss something you dont know anything about completely out of hand.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

I see David Cameron's latest nutty idea to spread envy and division is a proposal to do away with lifetime council tenancies in favour of 5-year tenancies reviewed according to 'need' (doesn't everybody need a home?) and income. This, apparently, on the grounds of 'scarce resource' and 'social mobility.'

David Cameron, you terrible c***!

• there's only any scarcity of social housing because such was engineered by Thatcher after 1979,
  • there's a work disincentive in threatening to take someone's home away if they increase their household income,
  • being able to stay in one place is good for people's well-being,
  • not everybody wants to gamble the future on being able to pay a mortgage for the next 25 years the minute they get their first paycheck in a decade,
  • social mobility is a two-way street; chuck someone out of their council house because you think they're too well-off and they could subsequently end up living in bed and breakfast when their employer goes bust
  • if you stop working tenants living on council estates you risk creating new concentrations of drug-addiction, squalor and deprivation, and
  • putting this indefensible idea into policy would cost a fortune to administer.

I can't imagine a single housing officer in the country can think this is a good idea.
I can't believe this will ever happen. It's just another right-wing politician mouthing off to impress moronic Daily Mail readers.
STRIKE !!!

The Legendary Shark

And these bastards are supposed to be looking out for our best interests. What a joke.

We need to take our government back. Simple as that.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

COMMANDO FORCES

Can anyone tell me how many council houses 'NEW' Labour built whilst they ruled the land. They could have borrowed 'even' more money that we don't have to do it, just like all the other money they spent, which has made our debt worse than most other countries.