Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

I think most of us sympathise with your position, Tordelback. You've always come across as a concerned and hardworking employer in a field where nobody can take work for granted and an industry that's on a knife-edge. I think a lot of us would be only too glad to have a boss like you! The day-to-day dilemmas you sometimes describe are agonizing.

It's quite different from the experience of working in an industry that has a long-term future (e.g. post-16 education) where the daily business of that industry involves salaried management and admin staff relying upon casualized labour to deliver front-line services: employees doing more than their reimbursed hours of work and carrying a disproportionate share of risk (e.g. classes may be cancelled due to low enrolment, resulting in reduced earnings; having to seek alternative sources of income outside term time).
STRIKE !!!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack link=topic=24364.msg472886#msg472886 date=1259518353
How I wish I'd understood this most basic of life lessons 20 years ago. 
/quote]

Heh ... the old "If I could back in time and give myself some proper career advice" line of thought. That way madness lies, TB!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: House of Usher on 29 November, 2009, 06:40:45 PM
You've always come across as a concerned and hardworking employer in a field where nobody can take work for granted and an industry that's on a knife-edge. I think a lot of us would be only too glad to have a boss like you!

Two things, Ush:

1) You've got a job

2) He's not hiring!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 November, 2009, 06:45:49 PM
2) He's not hiring!

Yeah, but the casting couch is always open to the... appreciative candidate.  Anyhow, wasn't intending to suggest i was a good employer, I've seen good employers and I'm not in the running. All it takes is one bad quarter to shatter those illusions.  What I was getting at is that it starts and ends with money, irrespective of greed or altruism, and I honestly never understood that until I was trying to pay wages on a maxed-out overdraft.  

I tried to work in Usher's sector, had always seen it as my ultimate goal really,  and lasted exactly one year - I've never had a worse job, and the lives of almost all my mates in that field would make for a good joke if they weren't actual human beings.

House of Usher

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 November, 2009, 09:40:45 PM
I tried to work in Usher's sector, had always seen it as my ultimate goal really,  and lasted exactly one year

Hmmm, let's see: I lasted three-and-a-half years in HE (research) and two years in FE (teaching), after 10 years of training (the 11th year had some overlap with actual employment). Fortunately the same training gets me in at ground level in the civil service, my next destination.
STRIKE !!!

Dog Deever

I've had a urinary infection for ages now- a week long excruciating testicle/ groin and two and a half weeks of screaming kidney.

Whilst any kind of infection is positively de jour for a self-respecting scabby punk, if I piss any more I'll start tae fucking dessicate.
And if I drink any mair cranberry juice I will fucking VOMIT red.
Anyone got a spewing smiley?

Hate the world. Fuck everyone. Fuck everything.
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Mike Gloady

Been there.

Testicular cysts are particularly unpleasant.  Had two now.  Fucking painful operations.  Urinary infections are nasty.  Nothing like the feeling of pissing hot coke in tiny, painful spurts.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Dog Deever

de jour? WTF?
I meant de rigueur.
See that's what happens when the ignorant stay up past their bedtime and post when they aren't thinking straight.

wild-seven

It's what happens when you're in pain - I've suffered from similar quite regularly and am very familiar with the pain. I reccommend the cranberry forte tablets (you can get them in boots) take one each night before bed, it's super concentrated cranberry and saves having to drink the juice all the time. Hope this helps
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

TordelBack

I shouldn't say this, but Dog and Mike have just made me feel a lot happier about my own life, and dissauded me from writing the childish rant that was to occupy this space.  You poor bastards.

Dog Deever

Rant away, TB, I'm at home bored and miserable so I'm looking for stuff to occupy my brain.

Thanks for that Wild-Seven- I'll check them out. These Trimethoprim antibiotic tablets don't half make you feel shit.

vzzbux

I have a third Testicle. Well its not exactly a third but its a large lump. Have had it checked out ages ago and it is nothing to worry about. Shat myself at the time though.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack

Quote from: vzzbux on 01 December, 2009, 08:04:15 PM
I have a third Testicle.

So I forget, which one are you again - Himmler? Goebbels?

Anyway, surely this belongs on the Excellent thread - a spare clip can't be a bad thing! 

uncle fester

vzzbux

I am the next step in human evolution, and I cum buckets.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.