Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 July, 2013, 04:59:09 PM
Is Bossanova reviled? Its not as loved as either Come on Pilgrim / Surfer Rosa (forever intertwined by the CD) or Doolittle, but that's a bit different to be reviled. Its a great record and personally I think it sits fine with their earlier work.

Aye, I love Bossanova too, but that didn't appear to be the majority opinion among the fans I knew who had been into them at the time of the album's release. I think that has a lot to do with the perceptions folk form regarding bands as they emerge - those who experienced Surfer Rosa in isolation created a series of expectations about the band and what they represented based on a relatively small sample of material. When the band deviate from that imagined ideal, they've betrayed what they were always about.

I received their entire body of work, including sci-fi oddness and more straightforward rock dynamics, as a fait accompli, but I'm no different in my response to the new material (or the solo careers of the band members) than folk with cherished copies of Come On Pilgrim on vinyl. I should probably have mentioned that BAGBOY is available as a free download from the band's website, because nobody pays for anything anymore.

Spikes

Not the biggest Pixies fan at all, but liking that BAGBOY track. Got a slight Pere Ubu vibe to it.
Good stuff.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 20 July, 2013, 06:14:52 PM
I should probably have mentioned that BAGBOY is available as a free download from the band's website, because nobody pays for anything anymore.

Noice - it's not a bad tune at all.

Frank

True, but fuck white boy rock on a day like this: MAJOR LAZER   (yeah, I know Diplo and Switch are Caucasian)

Steve DGenerate

Quote from: Noisybast on 20 July, 2013, 03:58:49 PM
My copy of Hey! Hello!'s debut album arrived this morning.

Gonna play the hell out of it tomorrow, for the uninitiated:  http://youtu.be/BNga2vAZQew
Nice to see a Wildhearts fan here!  :D

johnnystress

Can't get enough of Ghost these days

Catchy Satanic metal with a few nods to 70s Alice Cooper and Blue Oyster Cult and even some euro pop beats going on in there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2V8c8YVf7g

Frank

Radkey, three brothers who must surely be the only non-white hardcore band in Kansas, and who are so punk rock they haven't put studio recordings of their songs on Youtube. You know how Get Lucky came out at the perfect time, just as the weather was getting nicer - Shy FX's old school Soon Come is the opposite. It would have sounded brilliant when I was sitting with the bay windows open, drinking a 2 litre bottle of supermarket orange juice in an attempt to rehydrate after working all day, but it's just dying insects and intermittent rain lately.

I really like hipster favourites MS MR too, but that's because I'm turning into a girl.

I, Cosh

Quote from: sauchie on 02 August, 2013, 06:59:54 PM
You know how Get Lucky came out at the perfect time, just as the weather was getting nicer - Shy FX's old school Soon Come is the opposite. It would have sounded brilliant when I was sitting with the bay windows open, drinking a 2 litre bottle of supermarket orange juice in an attempt to rehydrate after working all day, but it's just dying insects and intermittent rain lately.
Here in Basel it's still 27C at 11 PM. I thought this song was fairly pleasant but, to be honest, it's been too hot to do anything but sit around whining today.

Most of the week I've found myself listening to the sort of light and frothy stuff that rarely gets run out on my iPod but I just heard this beauty on Tom Ravenscroft: In the Realms of Noble Savagery.
We never really die.

Spikes

Charlie boy

Listening to a Slade Best of after watching a cracking little documentary about the band on BBC4 recently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duznANU3Nbo
Turns out they're a lot more credible than I'd originally believed and have a lot of good stories. And like a lot of bands, they have this whole best-ignored 80s period. Extra appreciation in Noddy's direction also for sticking to his Slade are not reforming outlook.

CrazyFoxMachine

shaolin_monkey

I've been revisiting The Fibionacci Sequence - Harp, a fantastic quartet playing obscure pieces suited for the harp, violin and flute. It's a cracker - they are varied numbers, and whereas I used to skip the more ethereal stuff to get the meaty numbers, I'm finding myself going back and chilling out to them.

Then I changed the CD to Manowar's 'Battle Hymns' and had to work really hard not to drive like a maniac. I really must take that album to the gym sometime.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 06 August, 2013, 06:58:21 PM
I've been revisiting The Fibionacci Sequence - Harp, a fantastic quartet playing obscure pieces suited for the harp, violin and flute. It's a cracker - they are varied numbers, and whereas I used to skip the more ethereal stuff to get to the meaty ones, I'm finding myself going back and chilling out to them.

Then I changed the CD to Manowar's 'Battle Hymns' and had to work really hard not to drive like a maniac. I really must take that album to the gym sometime.

Simon Beigh

Been lurking on this thread for a while. I have a broad range of music I listen to, but not much of it comes up here. Anyway, today I'm thinking 'What the hell - dive in - see what happens".

A fellow 2000 AD junkie, DJ Food, recently produced some limited edition vinyl of his album The Search Engine for Record Store Day 2013 and I couldn't help noticing some remixes by Amorphous Androgynous (the collective also behind Future Sound of London). Dropped Mr Food a quick mail and he sent me a link to purchase said remixes via download.

Well - they are awesome. Simple as that. Track 1 is a cut of the end of the 17 minute Track 4 full epic "The Illectrik Hoax (A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Mix 17min)". it is the gritty, grungy, dirty, filthy guitar part - ideal for turning up to 11 when your family are down the shops (which they are right now and am expecting the neighbours to start banging the walls any minute!) Track 2 is a remix of GIANT and Track 3 is an Illectrik Hoax alternate mix - both also highly worthy.

If the rockers amongst you tut at electronic music, I urge you spend 70p on track 1 and see what you think. If there are any FSOL or Amorphous Androgynous fans amongst you - an essential purchase I'd say...

Yes indeed I am a man in motion...

Frank

Cheers Simeon, that's a sale. I couldn't get the preview function on the ninja tune site to work on my laptop, so here's the first track on Youtube for anyone else interested. Amorphous Androgynous and FSOL rock.