Main Menu

Umbrella Academy- Netflix

Started by CalHab, 18 February, 2019, 08:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Is anyone else watching this? I'm two episodes in, having not read the original comics, and it's basically The Royal Tenenbaums meets X-Men. The production values are very high and it's an interesting enough premise, so I'm enjoying it so far.

Trout

Pretty sure I see Zenith influences too. Gerard Way is heavily influenced by Grant Morrison. I like it, though.

Mattofthespurs

It's on my list of things to watch.

The trailer is good fun.

Mardroid

I watched it over the weekend. I liked it a lot.

I read the first comic volume next. Kinda odd and feels a bit disjointed, but it's not bad. There are major differences,yet the series is pretty faithful overall.

Dandontdare

I bought the first volume of the trade some time back and was less than impressed - cliche wrapped in whimsy, I had no desire to continue. Reckon I'll only ever get to this if I get to end of my (already extensive) 'to watch' list.

I didn't realise who'd written it at the time (would a non-celeb writer have been indulged so much I wonder?) and only found out when the queues of MCR fans at Thought Bubble threatened to overwhelm the venue (so I'm still holding that against him too....  ;))

Trout

I feel like Way gets judged more harshly for being a rock star. I was reluctant to like his other stuff, but I did like it.

Timothy

I really enjoyed the series, until it got to the last 15 minutes. I thought the ending was lazy.

CalHab

Yes, the ending is a disappointment, particularly after the series improved over the course. If it doesn't get picked up for a second series then that ending will look even worse.

Trooper McFad

Finished this at the weekend and really enjoyed it.
Some interesting characters who were just finding themselves and I agree what others have said regarding the end but then I thought if it doesn't get picked up for season 2 (which I would watch) I'll just log the ending alongside another unresolved question - the final scene of the original Italian Job*

*not comparing the whole film to the series just the last scene and do they ever get out of the fix they are in? 🤔
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

IndigoPrime

Looks likely there will be a season two. Reports are they're already scouting. Also, turns out the way to stop the apocalypse is [spoiler]to stop Luther being a massive prick to Vanya[/spoiler], twice, and [spoiler]to listen to his sister[/spoiler].

Hawkmumbler

All I know about Umbrella Academy is that time Leeds city centre formed the bigfest queue i've seen outside of a MEN Arena concert for Way.

Baffling but does lead me to think the comics might be worth a shot.