Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Bay City Rollers 4evz
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

TordelBack

Last night my 12 year old took me to task for indoctrinating him in Christianity by engaging in what he calls "family traditions" like Easter and Christmas, and taking him to funerals and weddings etc.

As I have studiously avoided presenting *any* religion as anything other than a set of stories and practices that some people believe and take comfort in, tried to make him aware of all the various churches and mythologies, haven't baptised him, or sent him to a school with a religious patronage (not an easy task in Ireland, and involving a 1.5hr round trip every day for 8 years of primary school) and maintained that belief and non-belief were valid choices but choices nonetheless, I was a bit taken aback.

I've also never felt so proud.   :'(

JayzusB.Christ

Good man, TB, he didn't lick that off the stones.  Christmas for me is all the more special for its crazy pagan roots, and, for the same reason and to quote the Terminator, I still love Easter, baby.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 May, 2019, 08:16:56 AM... to quote the Terminator, I still love Easter, baby.

Oh dear god.

Bolt-01

Jaysus - that is genius. I applaud you.

TB - They grow up so fast.

The Legendary Shark

JBC - thanks, now I have coffee all over my shirt.

Tordels - fab!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

TB - Time to break out the aluminium pole and prepare for the feats of strength.

JBC - That needs to go into a Hall of Fame for board posts.

Dandontdare

Quote from: von Boom on 01 May, 2019, 02:12:46 PM
TB - Time to break out the aluminium pole and prepare for the feats of strength.

Happy Festivus one and all!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 01 May, 2019, 08:24:55 AM
Jaysus - that is genius. I applaud you.

TB - They grow up so fast.

I'd love to claim credit but I got it from the Adam & Joe podcast..

Funt Solo

It's quite difficult to raise a child in a christian dominant country and have them be able to navigate the perilous path of passive indoctrination.  Or maybe it's easy: I guess time will tell.  At some point I just have to have faith (ha!) that she'll do a great job of thinking for herself.

The idea that there are two sides to the argument (God / no God) is already dangerous.  It suggests a 50/50 even logical split to either supposition (just as a starting point). 

My daughter was relieved when she figured out the [spoiler]Santa Claus[/spoiler] myth, because it then made sense why he hadn't been able to provide her with the [spoiler]present[/spoiler] she desired: which was for all her [spoiler]toys[/spoiler] to come to life.  She knew he could do magic as part of the myth, so it followed logically that he could provide the other miracle - unless the entire story was bogus.  Some great evidence based logic there.  Proud dad moment.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Just the religion of government to overcome and then we'll be on a better path altogether...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Oh ffs.  [Goes and hides under a mossy boulder.]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IAMTHESYSTEM

I just had an annoying morning where my Bookmark Internet pages all disappeared. Both Microsoft and Google reset all my pages to default, and I had to sign in again with a misfiring '@' at key. You press SHIFT and the Number '2' since my English Language at been set to English US, so I blame the Yanks for it! Anyone back to normal now. Has anyone else suffered Microsoft update weirdness?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]