Main Menu

Prog 2013

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 08 December, 2012, 08:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

So it is here. The best day of the year, the worst day of the year: the biggest prog but the last for three weeks.

I've not read it all - this baby has to last.

I have read a suitably festive Dredd by Ebeneezer Carroll and Benjamin Elfish Willsher.

And then there's a Death splash page by Greg Staples with just "2013". Death looks like he's lost his sense of humour.

Lock up your spoons!

Mattofthespurs

Gotta love the weighty 'slap' as this baby hits the mat.
Going to savour this, as I always do, and ration out the thrills.
Had a quick flick through (to whet the appetite) and looking forward to diving in this afternoon.
At least we still have a meg to come before Christmas.

Pete Wells

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 08 December, 2012, 08:53:21 AM
So it is here. The best day of the year, the worst day of the year: the biggest prog but the last for three weeks.

Yeah but with luck, Tharg'll spoil us by sending Prog 1813 just before Christmas again, so we only get two progless weeks.

Ooooh, there goes my letterbox, gotta dash!

Fisticuffs

Only read Dredd so far, loved it, the art is fantastic, although two things - [spoiler]Dredd breaks an arm and a leg?! I don't know where this sits in the continuity with Cold Deck, but his injury/recovery rate is bordering on the ridiculous. Also, Judge Savile? Really? Maybe it's just me but that stuck out as pretty poor taste.[/spoiler]

Mattofthespurs

Tried to make it last and then gobbled the whole prog down in less than an hour.

Feels a bit like after the Lord Mayor's show...

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it but...You know.

Dredd was decent if unspectacular.

Savage looks more like Michael Caine with each passing panel.

Really enjoyed Absolom.

Ampney has never been a favourite but it was ok.

Ack-Ack is poor and I'm glad it's continuing elsewhere. Apart from one or two panels that looked like Cam Kennedy might have drawn them I couldn't see anything to recommend it. Don't like or agree with it's inclusion either.

Red Seas and Aquilla were fine with Aquilla the better of the two imo.

Really enjoyed The Visible Man. My second favourite of the Prog.

Strontium Dog continues to miss the bar set many moons ago.

Nice Judge Death page. Might buy another copy just to frame that.

Droid Life is fun as usual and there are two pages of letters, most fawning (and rightly so) over Prog 1807 and Dredd 3-D.

Perhaps a re-read in a week or two may make me look more favourably upon it's contents.

Can't say I was over impressed with the cover either. Doesn't really say Christmas nor exciting if you ask me.

But as no one is I'll keep that to myself.

Tjm86

I was expecting to be a little disappointed after the last few weeks so I guess I wasn't expecting great things.  This feels more like a jumping on point for prospective new readers and for me it worked well on that level.  Possible return of JD next year?  After events of DOC I think we all saw that one coming.  A standard seasonal Dredd with some nice art from Willsher? Check.  A taster of something a little different to see if readers can be tempted to support (Ack Ack Macaque)? Check.  Not bad.  Some of Dyer's better artwork with a nice nod to War of The Worlds.  Like someone else mentioned, not enough to tempt but a pleasant little diversion.

Bit too heavy on the fantasy for me.  Enjoyed Aquila, never been a great Red Seas fan and Crucis just doesn't do it for me.  Too much that has been done before.  Again have to agree with previous comments about Stront.  Starting to feel a little like it is being carried on for old time's sake.  Maybe things will perk up as things progress.

Overall a middling year's end / start depending on your perspective.  Better than I expected.  Once things have settled down a bit at work will dig out the year's progs and have a nice slow reread.  Now THAT is something I'm looking forward to.  (although not as much as seeing what next year brings!)

JUDGE BURNS

Thank you for prog 2013 Thargy boy.   I have only just flicked through the pages and it looks GOOD !

Looking forward to the rising of ol' Sidney De'ath ,   lovely painting by art droid Greg Staples.
Looking forward to the continuing story of the Visible Man....but when????

To sum up 2012.....the year of DREDD.

2013....the year of DEATH  perhaps?

The Prodigal

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 08 December, 2012, 03:23:49 PM
Tried to make it last and then gobbled the whole prog down in less than an hour.

Feels a bit like after the Lord Mayor's show...

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it but...You know.

Dredd was decent if unspectacular.

Savage looks more like Michael Caine with each passing panel.

Really enjoyed Absolom.

Ampney has never been a favourite but it was ok.

Ack-Ack is poor and I'm glad it's continuing elsewhere. Apart from one or two panels that looked like Cam Kennedy might have drawn them I couldn't see anything to recommend it. Don't like or agree with it's inclusion either.

Red Seas and Aquilla were fine with Aquilla the better of the two imo.

Really enjoyed The Visible Man. My second favourite of the Prog.

Strontium Dog continues to miss the bar set many moons ago.

Nice Judge Death page. Might buy another copy just to frame that.

Droid Life is fun as usual and there are two pages of letters, most fawning (and rightly so) over Prog 1807 and Dredd 3-D.

Perhaps a re-read in a week or two may make me look more favourably upon it's contents.

Can't say I was over impressed with the cover either. Doesn't really say Christmas nor exciting if you ask me.

But as no one is I'll keep that to myself.

I mourn this reported loss of a Christmassy feel to proceedings. I have loved the festive feel of past progs in this respect. Makes me child like and warm.

moly

Trying to ration this but read dredd which was good and impressed with the seasonal Aquila but wish it would take a break for Defoe to come back sooner

Hawkmumbler

Well now THIS is going to be a bit good, isn't it?!
I'm gonna spread it out (ooh err missus) over the next few week's so as not to feel to dipleated. This is my second end of year prog and it feel's just as exciting as last years, minus the fan-wanckery that was the last Sin/Dex story.

moly

Also love the look of the rogue trooper resin figure but £35 ouch

Frank

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 08 December, 2012, 01:20:27 PM
Judge Savile? Really? Maybe it's just me but that stuck out as pretty poor taste.

I haven't read 2013, but there is a famous Judge Saville:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_Inquiry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Saville,_Baron_Saville_of_Newdigate

Mattofthespurs

Who of course is 'name checked' discretely in the prog today.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: moly on 08 December, 2012, 07:10:26 PM
Also love the look of the rogue trooper resin figure but £35 ouch

£34.80  to be exact. Which is reasonable. I was expecting £70.

Colin YNWA

Well I guess this prog might well have been a bit after the Lord Mayors show as others have alluded to and to be fair it started off a little like that. I thought the Dredd was steady but not spectacular, and I'm not as big a fan of Absalom as many though this was okay. After that though this got a right old head of steam on it with only one more mistep. Savage was a nice opener, Ampney likewise, okay so you can understand why Rebellion would try something like Ack Ack Macaque but it felt like what it as a five page advert.

Red Seas on the other hand was a storming opening, bloody loved it. Aquila was intriguing and I'm looking forward to more. Visible Man was an absolute dense blast and such fun (in a mighty struggle with Red Sea for thrill of the Prog) and Strontium Dog was really nice and stepping up the new series with a really strong, unexpected opening.

I agree that this didn't feel special so much as longer but when 2000ad is as good as it has been of late I guess that makes it longer special... hmm that's not at all a clumsy way of putting it! The Prog did its job though. The four stories leading into 1813 all got off to flying starts and if this was ya first Prog I'd image you'd be delighted with the first line-up coming up and with great 'Future Thrills' teases the promise of more to come.

Keep it up ya big Green ol' lug you.