Main Menu

Missing 'Daily Star' Dredd episodes - can you help?

Started by Molch-R, 07 May, 2014, 02:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

I'm sure there used to be a thread on here about someone having every Daily Dredd . .
It's a joke. I was joking.

Bat King

I've put a shout out on mi blog... I have an idea I know someone with most of the stories that were printed, hopefully he may have some of these. Obviously drawing his attention to them.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Bat King

Sadly the saying isn't 'If they come you can build it'...

Nah, I couldn't help much as I don't have many copies of Daily Star stories at all.

At least one of the stories has already been e-mailed to Rebellion by one of us... Not sure how much clearer it is than the version they have butI understand it is clearer.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Trout

Hopefully, sharing this far and wide will help.

As a side note, I just guffawed at this exchange:

Marc YeahRight Oh so NOW you don't mind people reproducing copyright material
May 7 at 10:32pm

2000 AD Beg your pardon, Earthlet?
May 8 at 1:51am

Yes, their double standards are perfectly illustrated in their desire to see material they own reproduced in a way that may profit them. You twat.

Frank

Quote from: Trout on 10 May, 2014, 02:35:11 PM
Marc YeahRight Oh so NOW you don't mind people reproducing copyright material
May 7 at 10:32pm

2000 AD Beg your pardon, Earthlet?
May 8 at 1:51am

Facebook seems almost entirely useless for most practical purposes. On a more positive note, this thread shows the resourcefulness and tenacity of the forum at its best.

Krakajac

Have any inquiries been made in the southern hemisphere - namely Australia & NZ?  I was brought up in both Oz and NZ in the 70's and 80's, and can't actually recall seeing the JD strip in the newspapers - but that's not to say that it didn't appear somewhere.

I'm based in South-East Queensland these days.  Happy to put my hand up if someone would like inquiries made at libraries/archives, etc?

flesario

I've got copies of four of these cut from the papers at the time. Have also emailed the press address. You're welcome to them but they were not crystal clear even at the time.

Leigh S

Max Headroom

Any word on whether these have been found yet, Mr Molch-R? Will it jeopardize the release of the hardbacks if not all stories are found?

Molch-R

We've found four from the original list, but we've discovered that there are even more missing from the archives. I've uploaded them to the Facebook gallery https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152048374466366.1073741828.146588986365&type=1

Quote from: Max Headroom on 23 May, 2014, 08:54:27 PM
Any word on whether these have been found yet, Mr Molch-R? Will it jeopardize the release of the hardbacks if not all stories are found?

It won't jeopardise the book's release, it just won't be as complete as we want it to be.

glassstanley

Could a note not be included - due to the archival nature, some of these strips are not as clear as we'd wish them to be etc etc?

I'd vote for complete with a few lower quality strips than incomplete.

Should they turn up, you could then use them as a selling point for a revised second edition :)

I think there are precedents for this in the Rebellion GN range. Some of the Star Lord strips are scanned in from the comic, for example. The Complete Case Files vol 5 included lower quality reprints of the last episode of Block Mania, which were then replaced with better quality copies for a subsequent reprint. There's still a very murky page in one of the Chump Dumping episodes from that book, too.

Looking at those scans, I think a couple of the colour ones were reprinted in b&w in one of the previous collections - the bouncing teacher & the Halley's Comet.

Molch-R

Quote from: glassstanley on 09 June, 2014, 04:03:19 PM
Could a note not be included - due to the archival nature, some of these strips are not as clear as we'd wish them to be etc etc?

I'd vote for complete with a few lower quality strips than incomplete.

Unfortunately these images are just photos of blown up microfiche and are completely unusable - and we'd rather find them than produce a title something like this that is incomplete.

Frank

Quote from: Molch-R on 09 June, 2014, 04:18:46 PM
Unfortunately these images are just photos of blown up microfiche and are completely unusable - and we'd rather find them than produce a title something like this that is incomplete

Using the fuzzy version of those stories you have in your possession as 'pencils', get the art stars of today - Flint, Bagwell, Weston, Willsher, D'Israeli - to ink Ron Smith's work. I'm sure they'd (re)do four strips each for next to nothing if Tharg agreed to pass Uncle Ron a larger cut of the royalties, legend and inspiration that he is. There's your bonus material and background/promotional feature in the Megazine right there.

maryanddavid

I reckon I have around 7 or 8 of these new ones Mike, Varing condition, but complete, Will scan and send on tonight.