Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

Quote from: AndyLee on 20 January, 2013, 04:58:27 PM
Signed in pen means it was a legit sale, unsigned means it may have slipped out during the production process. He wrote about it in "The Art of Brian Bolland" book. He reckons there were about 110 pages never returned to him and he considers them stolen.

He doesn't mince his words. "All the pages that were returned to me and sold were signed by me. If you own one without my signature it was stolen and I want it back."

Now THAT is useful information...

Fatboydale

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

hippynumber1

So are you saying that they're all stolen or that they're legitimate sales and he hasn't signed them? I've confused myself...  :-[

Fatboydale

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 20 January, 2013, 07:41:56 PM
So are you saying that they're all stolen or that they're legitimate sales and he hasn't signed them? I've confused myself...  :-[

No i'm saying Bolland has sold artwork and forgot to sign the artwork , otherwise he would get these back , yes he did have pages stolen back in the 80's .....

What i mean , not all Bolland artwork that has no signature is stolen , if you get offered a page , it would be best to ask directly Brian , not that he ever answers emails ....

Anyway here's mine :

Andy_Lee

Hope you don't think I was trolling. I've never done the forensics on CAF before, surprising how many are unsigned. One of my Bolland Dredds is signed in red, the other signed by the inker Gary Leach. I'm also confused now.

Spikes

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: AndyLee on 20 January, 2013, 08:04:20 PM
Hope you don't think I was trolling. I've never done the forensics on CAF before, surprising how many are unsigned. One of my Bolland Dredds is signed in red, the other signed by the inker Gary Leach. I'm also confused now.

That's great, you own one of the finest pages ever drawn for comics IMO. I don't think that series of pages has ever been surpassed.

ming

A bit late to the party, but yeah - those two pages are insanely good, Dale.  Surprised Alex let them go, so you must have been fairly generous to shake those loose, as he must have known they'll be impossible to replace.  Anyway, great stuff.

Same to you, Iain - another nice Cursed Earth page in the bag!

Bubba Zebill

If you are reasonably certain the art is among the many pages stolen/lost/stored under a leaking tap (...that was one story) you could mention it on his blog. He has posted on the subject, so I'm pretty sure that would get a reaction.

hippynumber1

What would be useful is if someone posted a list of the missing/stolen pages so we all knew what to look out for...

o1s1n

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 21 January, 2013, 12:59:02 PM
What would be useful is if someone posted a list of the missing/stolen pages so we all knew what to look out for...

Didn't know about this issue myself, it makes for really interesting (and saddening!) reading. Must be absolutely awful to have produced pages to such a high and legendary standard and just not knowing where they are.

From the looks of things, I don't think Bolland even knows himself which pages are missing. Apparently he can't locate this page now. (if I created something like this and couldn't locate it I'd be crying myself to sleep every night until it was found!)

COMMANDO FORCES