Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

Quote from: pops1983 on 07 April, 2011, 09:41:05 PM
Zu Warriors of the Magic Mountain. Crazy Kung-Fu madness. The Special Effects were very special.
Did you watch the original or the butchered westernised version?

vzzbux

The Hole. (keira Knightly).
I was expecting a horror but still enjoyed this one.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Keef Monkey

Just watched Dangerous Days, the 3 hour plus documentary on Blade Runner. I had to sit in while our new boiler got fitted and it seemed a good way to pass the time. A great doc, with a ton of unseen footage in it (including a saucier love scene with some Sean Young booby action for anyone who's into that, I'm above such things).

Harrison Ford comes across as a right grump about the whole thing, although it is amusing to hear the voiceover recording sessions where he's very vocal about how ridiculous it is that he's having to do it, and rightly so. There's a talking head from Guillermo Del Toro where he defends the voiceover though and says he specifically watches the old laser disc version because he prefers it to the director's cut. Madness.

Tiplodocus

I always reckoned Blade Runner needed the voice over for teh first 45 minutes or so and then it could quietly fade away.  It's needed for some basil early on, otherwise a fist time viewer wouldn't have a clue what was going on but by the time Rutger is releasing doves into the sky, it's completely un-necessary.

But I shall have to watch the documentary to confirm this. And not to look at Sean Young's breasts. Oh no.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: James Stacey on 11 April, 2011, 01:26:59 PM
Zu Warriors of the Magic Mountain. Crazy Kung-Fu madness. The Special Effects were very special.

It had subtitles. Is the butchered, westernised version a variant cut? Or did the yanks remake it because reading's too difficult?
You may quote me on that.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 April, 2011, 05:13:12 PM
I always reckoned Blade Runner needed the voice over for teh first 45 minutes or so and then it could quietly fade away.  It's needed for some basil early on, otherwise a fist time viewer wouldn't have a clue what was going on but by the time Rutger is releasing doves into the sky, it's completely un-necessary.

But I shall have to watch the documentary to confirm this. And not to look at Sean Young's breasts. Oh no.

I've only ever watched the Director's Cut and the Final Cut and have never heard Harrison Ford's narration. Ever. And I have never had a problem following what was going on. The text scroll at the beginning is plenty of exposition.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I don't think the narration is vital to the plot of Bladerunner. But I would say it has an effect on the mood and tone. Gives it a bit of a gumshoe vibe.
You may quote me on that.

Kerrin

Legion, the evil granny was great but that was about the only highlight.

Professor Bear

Police Story. Like a Bollywood movie bunging in songs, Jackie Chan's 1980s Hong Kong efforts crammed in far too much broad comedy mid-movie, but when they kick off, they kick off big time and it does not pay to be a pane of glass in this movie.  There's this bit right at the end where Chan is basically furious with this dude who walks into the scene wearing unbroken glasses and slaps the shit out of him, then uses another guy to break a display case in another part of the building.
The bloopers reel is as entertaining as ever, with comedy moments like paramedics rushing to see if the guys who flip their car driving downhill through an occupied shanty town are dead, paramedics rushing to see if Jackie has been electrocuted, paramedics rushing to see if Jackie has broken someone's neck, paramedics rushing to see if Jackie has broken his own neck, and on the paramedics' day off, some random guys from the crew trying to extinguish a house they've accidentally set on fire and they could not look more bored because for them this is like Tuesday or something.  It's very entertaining.

Reign of Fire.  Not sure about the dragonslayers' skills - they pretty much just show up and the dragon goes "rargh" and they die and Matthew McCaugnaghy looks a bit sad and then they kill the dragon.  Not much of a story but as a film it's alright.

Emp

THE BLEEDING - Bloody atroicious flick. To be honest i wasn't expecting much as the "stars " are Michael Matthias (who he?)and Vinnie Jones (as Lord of the Vampires, Vinnie the Vamp who thought that would work?).There was a hope that Michael Madsen and Armand Assante might make it watchable but the former was obviously a bit strapped for cash and needed the work and the latter had 3 lines.

Utter bilge, its like a really really bad B movie.Script,editing,acting,everything is woeful.The only plus to it was the run time of 79 minutes.
Everyone involved should pay any money they made into a fund to gather up every copy of this film and burn them,then bury anything that reamins, on the sea floor.

klute

Quote from: Kerrin on 11 April, 2011, 09:57:09 PM
Watched this yesterday...the highlight for me was the credits,tbh im not a fan of the actor that played jeep.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

The Adventurer

SOURCE CODE. Pretty good, not as great as Moon was. But solid science fiction at its most heady.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Keef Monkey

Quote from: klute on 12 April, 2011, 09:29:05 PM
Quote from: Kerrin on 11 April, 2011, 09:57:09 PM
Watched this yesterday...the highlight for me was the credits,tbh im not a fan of the actor that played jeep.

Rented this a while back, we knew it wouldn't be particularly great but were still a bit disappointed. There were some cool moments (the ice cream van was quite creepy), but I kept being reminded of The Terminator and Night of The Living Dead constantly and it could only suffer in comparison!

James Stacey

Quote from: pops1983 on 11 April, 2011, 07:34:36 PM
Quote from: James Stacey on 11 April, 2011, 01:26:59 PM

It had subtitles. Is the butchered, westernised version a variant cut? Or did the yanks remake it because reading's too difficult?

IIRC the westernised cut has an added start and end to try and make more sense of it, setting the original film in a dreamworld, and various other cuts throughout. Apparently just being batshit crazy isn't enough reason for a film.

zombemybabynow

The Prestige - twists and turns at every step, are you watching closely?!

amazing
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere