Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bernardsfingers

Quote from: Pete Wells on 29 August, 2017, 06:47:44 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 August, 2017, 04:45:18 PM
What the chuff are we talking about the comics about here when we have shelvery like that.

Those Sir Wells are a thing of almost infinite beauty. Is there anymore you could whip out for us all to oggle at?

Just for you Colin, my Child Cave!

Mrs Pete hates this room  :D
Did you see this?

https://www.planetreplicas.com/product-page/metal-1-1-dredd-badge-styled-by-jock
£40.00 + postage.

matty_ae

Quote from: A.Cow on 08 September, 2017, 01:27:13 AM
Quote from: Tomwe on 07 September, 2017, 10:27:32 AM
Quote from: Arkady on 07 September, 2017, 10:23:24 AM

The cynic in me suspects that Slaine has proven to be an unpopular choice as a launch title, and distributors are trying to maximise sales before replacing it with Halo Jones (which will undoubtedly fly off the shelves -- even at the higher price point).

I can't really let that unfounded comment go. Slaine Horned God is one, if not the, best selling reprint 2000ad has ever done. Its an incredible well regarded book and uniquely benefits from having better printing than the original issues. It will sell 5 times the other books at the 1.99p price point and because every new subscriber will definitely start with this issue.

I love Halo and think historically it has huge significance as a feminist book (and just a great story) but Slaine HG is about as popular as it gets. Pat Mills referred to the low price but said he was assured his royalties would be boosted by the incredibly high print run.

BPP

The Horned God only appeared on the shelves for one week here - the 'second' official week. The only place nearby stocking it had 5 copies in - all gone now but whether that was sales or cleared off the shelves I don't know. No sign of Halo Jones. Tad annoying as I was in to buy multiple copies as gifts / inducements.

The America issue of Dredd had far more copies in stock.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

The Monarch

i haven't seen halo anywhere at all did it come out?

Steve Green

A.Cow

Quote from: matty_ae on 09 September, 2017, 06:08:48 AM
Quote from: A.Cow on 08 September, 2017, 01:27:13 AM
The cynic in me suspects that Slaine has proven to be an unpopular choice as a launch title, and distributors are trying to maximise sales before replacing it with Halo Jones (which will undoubtedly fly off the shelves -- even at the higher price point).

I can't really let that unfounded comment go. Slaine Horned God is one, if not the, best selling reprint 2000ad has ever done.

A fair point, but I'm guessing that's due to its disproportionate* popularity in mainland Europe.  Is Horned God really such a best-seller within the collection's target market (UK, ROI, Australia/NZ & South Africa)?

I'm no doubt speaking completely from my arse (and from my own personal prejudice against the wearisome barbarian) so please correct me if I'm being presumptuous.

__
* According to Mills, "Other 2000AD series have not had the same widespread success in Europe."

marko10174

Do you think the ultimate collection will be a successful as the mega collection? or have a fair chance of rivalling it? I mean, I would imagine the ultimate collection will be more than successful enough to complete it's entire run?

matty_ae

They have to do the 80 issues or they'll leave a lot of angry unfinished spines.

I may have been a bit too defensive of the Horned God. Yup must of 'us' already have it but this is really about the mainstream. Guys who maybe haven't bought a comic for 20 years but love a bit of Marvel at the cinema and wouldn't mind a 'quirky' collection of comics from their youth.

A guy on the train recognised Rogue Trooper from my Southern Contingent t-shirt and could remember all the chip's names and the planet etc.
"Do you buy 2000ad?" I asked
"What? Is that still going?" He replied. Zero interest in new stuff but hardback of ole Rogue and he's got the Direct Debate happily set-up.

I think this is aimed at him.

Steve Green

I doubt it will be as successful as the Dredd collection.

There is a big dropoff in popularity in other merchandise, I can't see why this might be any different, plus the mega-collection probably profited off the back of the 2012 home video sales.

I've noticed a couple of things, no idea if it means much though.

The FB likes for the Ultimate Collection are a shade over 2000, the Mega Collection is 14,000+

OK it's early days, and likes don't equal sales, but that's quite a gap to make up.

I also thought it was interesting that in the recent FB live competition, the prize of a subscription for the collection had far fewer entries than those of a PR Lawgiver or a ThreeA Lawmaster, even though the value of a subscription was 10x the value of the other prizes.

Now maybe it was down to the timing, or maybe people just don't have the space/or are a bit more conservative than expected.

IndigoPrime

The fact it's happening suggests the sales are such that it's viable, however. If it wasn't, those four initial books would have been it.

I do hope it works out, too. 80 books is stretching Dredd. 90 books is overkill. 80 for 2000 AD is a drop in the ocean. You could easily add another 40 books and still have great material left to run.

Steve Green

Yeah I hope it works out, but I think the argument for anthologies works against a partworks collection of the same (or at least subscribing to one)

The old "ah well, it's an anthology and if you don't like future war, or fantasy, or whatever then there are a bunch of other stories" doesn't really help if you're paying £800 for a collection.

It just magnifies anything the subscriber or potential subscriber doesn't like into a hard to ignore chunk of the collection.

Despite the Dredd collection's questionable stories, I think it appeals more to the completists in that it has a connection to Dredd, which a collection of anthology stories doesn't have.

Swerty

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 September, 2017, 07:05:08 PM
The fact it's happening suggests the sales are such that it's viable, however. If it wasn't, those four initial books would have been it.

I do hope it works out, too. 80 books is stretching Dredd. 90 books is overkill. 80 for 2000 AD is a drop in the ocean. You could easily add another 40 books and still have great material left to run.

Im this runs for double that!

karlos

Yes, think the readership of the UC will be approx. 80% us lot i.e existing fanbase, 10% lapsed 2000ad readers and 10% new peeps.

matty_ae

Quote from: karlos on 09 September, 2017, 09:55:41 PM
Yes, think the readership of the UC will be approx. 80% us lot i.e existing fanbase, 10% lapsed 2000ad readers and 10% new peeps.

Nope. Cant be.
1) Not enough of us
2) Rebellion could have done that itself

Now 90% new peeps/lapsed readers I'd believe

JaHawkDroid

I imagine following Prog 2000 a year back, this could pick up readers like myself who liked comics anyway but used the excitement of Prog 2000 to jump on board. This is an affordable (in relative terms), stylish way to collect the greatest hits of 2000AD without breaking the bank all at once, and can see it being appealing to that group.