Main Menu

2001: Your views....

Started by the shutdown man, 26 May, 2009, 05:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shutdown man

I went to see 2001: A Space Odyssey in the cinema last week. I've seen it plenty of times, but this was the first chance I had to see it on the big screen. It was as fantastic as you'd expect, and Keir Dullea was there to introduce it. Seems like a thoroughly nice chap. Although, one of the reels must have been damaged, because for about 20 minutes during the scene with Poole outside the ship and "Open the doors, HAL" (i.e. the almost totally silent part), there was a loud clicking noise which was very irritating for that portion of the film.

Anyway, my main point. My friend and I nearly came to violence in post-cinema pints talking about this film, when he mentioned that the dawn of man sequence, and thus the film as a whole was pretty bleak. i.e., early man is taught how to learn tools and the first thing he does is destroy something with it, then he learns to kill, just like man always will and the whole scene is a damning indictment of humanity.

Me on the other hand, I've always figured that 2001 is one of the few sci-fi flicks with a positive outlook on humanity. Man learns how to use tools, and yes he kills the other apes, because hey, that's how evolution works, it's unfortunate, but someone had to survive.  Without that knowledge, no-one would have survived, man would have stayed as scavengers, fighting over the watering hole. And the whole point of the film is about mankind being pushed towards its maximum potential, i.e. the Starchild.

So, those are the two opposing viewpoints which were brought out that night. I'm curious to know what others think here.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Roger Godpleton

Well it was all right until 9/11, but I did get a PS2 for Christmas.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Professor Bear

I got my first PS2 in 2001, but I didn't see the point of it as it just seemed to be supported by a catalogue of flashier racing games, which I find dull (with the exception of Pure).  Then GTA3 came out and the 300 quid spent on the PS2 finally justified itself.
That thing with the planes bummed me out - not least because it led to the creation of the film World Trade Center and the continuing career of Dennis Leary.  Of the three of these things, I'm not sure which will go down in history as being more horrid.

dweezil2

For me 2001 examines how insignificant mankind is in the universe. Some may consider this a bleak concept, but I find this a rather comforting notion. As in the final analasis, even if we as a species fuck things up down here, higher powers and the universe as a whole will continue to prevail. Well at least for a few billion years more. Of Course 2010 explored this theme to a less successful conclusion, but it's probably the more optomistic film technically. At least compared to Kubrick's detached and clinical approach to the material.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

Probably the most ambitiously successful film in it's ideas and production.

Devons Daddy

iconic,
the first time i saw it, on BBC2 i think one sunday night one of those seasons of films, i was taken but did not really get it.

later watching its several times, i have truly come to terms with its brillance, and themes.
its a little out there at times, but overall its truly incredible.
also how many movies since, have used many of the themes in small ways.

one of the great science fiction movies, almost real enough to be not a sci-fi movie. ground breaking in its day.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

the shutdown man

I like Dweezil's take on it, I hadn't really thought of it that way.

As for Godpleton's, well I don't really go for consoles, so your version of 2001 seems less epic.

Dullea had some good stories about the shoot though. Apparently the guy who read HAL's lines on set had a thick Cockney accent which is why he was recast. Certain lines would no doubt have lost something...
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Dandontdare

I didn't see it as optimistic - as Dweezil says, the impression I get is of mankind being manipulated helplessly for millennia. All that evolution and  impressive space hardware, and it's all just part of some cosmic set-up designed to ....ummm... well....you know....evolve into some kind of stoned baby in a kaleidoscope.....errrmmm?? (possible interpretations of just WTF happens at the end are a different argument!  :D )

And I always found Rigsby's presence shattered the illusion somewhat!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "dandontdare"And I always found Rigsby's presence shattered the illusion somewhat!

It's Reggie Perrin actually, sitting in space-age seating that makes farting noises, in space.

ThryllSeekyr

QuoteI went to see 2001: A Space Odyssey

Interesting book and a very well made film for it's time. I think it actualley surpasses other Sceince fiction that was made years later and even sceince fiction films of the same type right now.

Better than any version of " BattleStar Galactica" or "V".

Of the "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" films. They were a step above. With their innovative applications of age old mythologies, philosophies, and yet still I have even found parts of these films to pale in comparison when compared with "Space 2001, A Space Odessy"

Stanely Kubrick mantained this very meticulous attention to detail all the way through the film and it's a pity he's passed on. He may have contributed to 2000AD in some way. Perhaps he already has.

I've always thought to myself that the ultimate 2000AD film might be a anthology hosted by someone dressed up as up Tharg. Perhaps set in a movie theatre at a premiere for that movie. Everything is in black and white. Tharg arrives in a limo/rocket ship, walks down the red carpet to meet up with other 2000AD officiados, droids, characters who make their way to their own booth of seats, far above rest. Their own peanut gallery in the same tradition as "Sceince Fiction Mystery Theatre".
There is a low audilble racous coming from the patrons seated below.......

From here on in. I have kept writing this as a short story that became another one of my long threads.

I decided to end that near the start so, as to not irrate other boarders as it did go "Off topic."

Though I will post my short story/concept for "2000AD Anthologies Movie" on a more appropiate thread.

Roger Godpleton

QuoteBetter than any version of " BattleStar Galactica" or "V".

Dear Lord... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzRQD9_pdic
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

The Legendary Shark

2001 always made me wonder who encouraged the highly advanced alien manipulators to evolve enough to manipulate us, and who manipulated their encouragers. It's kinda' like those people who insist that humans originally came from Mars and think this explains how mankind evolved. Where did they come from before Mars? Makes my head spin, so it does, but not enough to lose any sleep over.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

QuoteBetter than any version of " BattleStar Galactica" or "V".

I actually found those last two more entertaining, although the ending of 2001 was good.

I'm not saying 2001 is worse than those though. It's certainly a classic that stood the test of time. Point is, apart from being science fiction, they're such different kinds of story. (Ok, I guess there is bit of similarity in that both BSG and 2001 involve advanced AI...)

As for my views on 2001 itself, I did find it rather boring, particularly at the start. The stuff with Hal was interesting and exciting though, as was the ending, although I never quite got it. I'm not sure I've ever watched it all the way through though. I've either started with the beginning, got bored and ended up turning over, or losing concentration, or I caught it part the way through. I'd certainly like to give it another chance though.

On the other hand I rather enjoyed 2010.

SmallBlueThing

2001 bored the tits off me when I first saw it on tv some time in the eighties. It continued to bore the tits off me each time I saw it after that, and it continues to remove my boobs with torpor even today. It was the antithesis of the kind of sci-fi that I liked as a kid (Star Wars, 2000AD, Planet of the Apes, Tom Baker Dr Who, Star Trek) and so I've always seen it as somewhat removed from my generation, and like bells on your toes, flares and Sergeant Pepper, something best avoided. I saw 2010 at the cinema on release and it was okay- but couldn't tell you anything about it now.

Arthur C Clarke- hmm, loved his "Mysterious World" series as a kid, but on the whole he seemed a somewhat creepy man who loved himself a little too much. Are we allowed to talk about the reasons for him being in Sri Lanka yet?

Steev