Main Menu

Happy Day of Dredd folks - What's your favourite Dredd story/character, etc..?

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 07 September, 2019, 08:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Magnetica

Writer: Wagner
Artist: Bolland
Epic: Judge Child
One off: Xmas comes early to Des O'Connor Block
Chief Judge: Hershey
Non Dredd Judge: Hershey
Recurring villain: PJ Maybe
Short lived villain: Junior Angel
Writer who's not Wagner: Rob Williams
Current artist: Henry Flint
Under rated artist: Ben Willsher

abelardsnazz

A bit late to the party, but here's my two-groats' worth:

Epic: Day of Chaos
Short: The Stupid Gun
Villain: PJ Maybe
Moment: Revelation of the Sov involvement in Pirates of the Black Atlantic
Honorable Mention: Howler

JayzusB.Christ

Small ones:
Sunday Night Fever. MC1 at its most MC1.
Full Mental Jacket.  Worthy of early Scorcese.
All the Democracy ones leading up to the vote.

Big ones: 
The Dead Man / Necropolis.
The Apocalypse War.

Non Wagner ones:
The Choose Your Own Adventure one by Al Ewing.
The Americans by Al Ewing.

There'll be millions more that I've forgotten, of course.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Also: Favourite MC1 artist: Cam Kennedy.
Favourite Dredd artist:  Jock. Pity he didn't stick around long.

Obviously Carlos will always be the king, though, posthumously or not.  Combining the small, grubby backstreets of the city with sweeping, dizzying cityscapes and making Dredd look absolutely at home there: he's sorely missed.

Anyway, favourite bad guy: Orlok. No weird mutations, no supernatural powers, no incredible intellect; just a hard, mean bastard doing his job. Like somebody else who's quite prominent in the strip.

Favourite good guy: Chopper. Young, cool, upbeat, rebellious and easygoing: the anti-Dredd. I still wish he'd died when he was supposed to and remained a cool kid forever.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

PsychoGoatee

Agreed on Carlos as fav artist, his sequential storytelling is the best of the best. Wagner is my fav writer, call me crazy. Necropolis is my favorite, including Tale of the Deadman, just such a big cinematic epic with cool little details and moments. Style wise the early 90s look and vibe is just way too cool.

Favorite recurring characters, Walter the Wobot is really funny, he's great. PJ Maybe too.

Here's to Judge Dredd!

JayzusB.Christ

Another non-Wagner Dredd I loved was Gordon Rennie's first Planet Gary story.  Gordon absolutely nailed the terse but more human older Dredd that Wagner had been working on for years.