Main Menu

Marvel Reboot

Started by monty--, 15 April, 2005, 05:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Timson

Yeah- you don't get to hear about flash's vietnamese g/f anymore either.  What was her name again?  Ming Ming or something?
Pffft...

Dan Kelly

To be fair there has at least been some attempt in 2000ad to acknowlege the passage of time on Dredd...

Boots for one.

Dan

irving9000

There seems to be a DC reboot on the way - Infinite Crises or something - I wish it wasn't necessary, I find a lot of revisionism just annoying - look at what they did with Superman after Crisis on Infinite Earths, total restart. I haven't read much pre-crisis superman, but what I have read has made me realise that Superman had a massive complex universe of characters etc at the time, with some great ideas (this complexity is noted as the reason for reboot, but many of the ideas of that time have forced their way back in to the rebooted Superman) - if I had been a reader I think I might have been a bit miffed at losing the whole history of that character. It concerns me that they might want to do it to Batman - I got quite pissed off when they revised the reason for Batman sacking the first Robin. My overall point is I love continuity and history of characters and strips etc( I like it when an old event is mentioned or is relevant to a story) and I feel that sometimes they don't give a shit over in USA.
In 2000ad, I think it is fantastic however that Dredd ages, and that the history is often relevant or just visible in the background, with stuff like statues of Fergee and mentions of the Apocalypse War etc.

Dudley

Ha, nicely ironic idea - Marvel & DC talk all the time about continuity etc, and yet they end up with stupid paradoxes and resets.  Meanwhile, we've got John Wagner (and latterly Gordon Rennie), who really don't care about anybody else's stories with the character and seemingly don't give a rat's twizzle for continuity - and yet Dredd feels more like it has a continuing backstory!

Funt Solo

The idea of killing off Dredd must have been discussed by the creators / editors / owners at some point.

Oh to be a fly on the wall*...

* An armoured repellant-immune fly.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bico

I wouldn't bother with the DC reboot if I were you - Infinite Crisis looks like just another excuse for grabbing money from gullible kids, rather than an attempt to 'clear up' any continuity issues there might be from having so many books going in the same 'universe' at any one time.  The 80-page thing that starts it off doesn't fill me with optimism, at any rate.  For those who can't be arsed reading it, here's the digest version

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

Someone blows up Blue Beetle's computer, it turns out to be Maxwell Lord, who used to fund the Justice League, and who's planning to kill all the superheroes or something so that 'the ordinary people' can run their own lives.  He doesn't go into detail about how they're going to deal with rampaging supervillians, asteroids on a collision course with Earth, or Doomsday going on one of his annual rampages, but he does blow Blue Beetle's brains out, for which BB was probably thankful, tbh.  Another wanky crossover probably filled him with dread.

Oh, and that Red Hood guy running around in the Batman books was Jason Todd.
Yes.  Again.

Cliffy

I thought Countdown to Infinite Crisis was a good book, and I don't give a rat's ass about suerhero comics, which I generally don't read.  But so far, regardless of it being a big event, it looks like a good story.

The Ultimate Universe is similar to a reboot because it again has familiar characters starting from scratch and the stories not necessarily playing out like they did in the '60's, but it isn't exactly the same thing because it didn't erase the original continutiy -- regular ol' Marvel Universe Spider-Man is still out there in htree books every month, he's just a different dude than the guy than Ultimate Spider-Man, who stars in three other books.

--Cliffy

Mr C

GermanAndy

concerning the "historical" updates, Iron Man had its origin in Vietnam, in the Gulf War and - if I read Ellis? new version correctly - I just glanced at the pretty pictures - in Iracq.

Guess the 10 years of FF1 changed to ripped from the headlines. ;-)

But what about Captain America? Isnt he still the WWII hero? That makes him 90 or so? *gg

The Amstor Computer

Bear's spot-on. I got a copy of the Countdown thingy with my regular comics order (note on the bag in big letters saying "it's FREE!") and gave it a quick flick through while I was sat on the bog.

I thought it was pretty awful, to be honest. As a story that's been promoted heavily in the mainstream US press, it's terribly arcane & packed with references that would baffle most newbie readers. It's a naff, incestuous, ludicrous tale & it really doesn't bode well for DC's "event".

,Mr. Nice

Ah, but wasn't the capt frozen and then thawed out or some such? Thus his "thaw out" date can constantly move inline with FF1 without changing his WWII origin.

Art

What's Frank Catle if he's not a crazed 'Nam vet? The day they take that away he'll have NOTHING.

Richmond Clements

Nah, they'll make him a crazed Gulf War II vet.

The Monarch

Seems to me they really want to be rid of the 80s version of the league i mean first they off sue and now Maxwell lord is the "king" of checkmate and he hates superheroes?! and he also blows Ted kords brains out.

God Jla classified is starting to get more depressing to read now.

David "a very pissed off Bwah-ha-ha league fan" Page

Bico

The last issue of Punisher I read had a newscaster comment that Frank Castle's family died in 1976.