Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Crusade gn - for the love of Grud why?

Started by Richard, 10 October, 2011, 11:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

So according to Amazon there will be a Crusade graphic novel released in February 2012. WTF? This was one of the worst stories ever, who do they think will want it? And if you were a new reader and this was your first exposure to Dredd, would you ever buy another one?

I'm especially worried because by my calculations Crusade is due to appear in Case Files vol. 23 anyway, around 2013/2014, so does this mean that series is going to be discontinued?

radiator

Presumably Rebellion are trying to make a splash in the US, as a) Crusade has never been reprinted before and b) They can plaster Grant Morrison and Mark Millar's names on the cover.

However, as you say, Crusade is such a weak story it's likely to put off more readers than it attracts. DC tried this approach when they pushed Judgement Day in the US on the strength of Garth Ennis' name, and that sank like a stone.

To make matters worse, they've also commissioned Brian Bolland to draw the cover! What a waste...

Imo they'd be much better off publishing a new edition of the America tpb. Granted Wagner isn't a name in the states, but the material is way stronger and would make a far better impression of Dredd - might even challenge a few preconceptions of what the series is about, too.

QuoteI'm especially worried because by my calculations Crusade is due to appear in Case Files vol. 23 anyway, around 2013/2014, so does this mean that series is going to be discontinued?

Doubt it - after all there's been a fair bit of overlap already, what with the PJ Maybe and Mechanismo stories already being published in both the Case Files and the standalone trades.

Richard

It's a shame because Americans will get the impression that Dredd is something that new, inexperienced writers learn their craft on before they get better and leave Dredd behind to do higher quality work. Which in Miller's case is exactly what happened, but it tars all other Dredd writers with the same brush and gives Dredd a bad reputation in the States.

The Adventurer

Quote from: radiator on 10 October, 2011, 12:23:12 PM
Presumably Rebellion are trying to make a splash in the US, as a) Crusade has never been reprinted before and b) They can plaster Grant Morrison and Mark Millar's names on the cover.
Judgement Day 2: Judgement Day Harder

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Spaceghost

Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Proudhuff

Can't remember this one, what happened in Crusade?
DDT did a job on me

Greg M.

Judges from around the world fighting each other in some frosty locale to try and recover the secrets of some MC-1 type who's apparently met God or something (and transformed into a big green hairy thing in the process.) It's the one with the Inquisitor (great character design from Mick Austin) and one of those famous Morrison / Millar conveyor-belt fights. It is mostly appalling, but it does have the classic 'Pax vobiscum, creep!" line, and Mick's depiction of the big green hairy thing is actually quite scary.

Proudhuff

Cheers Greg, the way you tell it it doesn't sound too bad, was that a megazine story from the nadir period?
DDT did a job on me

radiator

Nah, it's from 2000ad - early to mid-900s. Just before Wilderlands IIRC.

Proudhuff

No memory of that,  :o :-[ as they say round here, old age doesn't come itself
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 13 October, 2011, 11:33:58 AM
Nah, it's from 2000ad - early to mid-900s. Just before Wilderlands IIRC.
YRIC. It was a couple of months after Wilderlands. Prog 928 - 937. I read it fairly recently and happened across a letter from one John Burdis saying how much he was enjoying the first couple of episodes...
We never really die.

Radbacker

I actually didn't mind this story when i first read it, bear in mind I'd only been with the prog since the 980's so didn't have much to compare it to.  Re-reading it now I realise just how dire it was (nice art though).

CU Radbacker

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm re reading it now, especially after Cosh reminding me about my letter. You didn't add the bit that went
QuoteTo see you delve into the characters of other Judges would be interesting; as it stands, Crusade will probably degenerate into a bloodfest, with Cesare killing the other Judges and having a showdown with Joe.
I hope I am proved wrong.

I always keep a spare copy of the few letters that I have sent in and they are bagged with the comics, just in case Tharg alters anything. This time he added the (excellent by the way) after I mentioned The Exterminator and left out the bit I wrote about Finn, Crisis, the upcoming film and merchandise.

Anyway as my letter said, it did just degenerate into a bloodfest and didn't bring anything new to the party, more's the pity  :'(

COMMANDO FORCES

Couldn't edit the last post after a minute. On the back of my letter I have put a sticker saying 'sent 27th Feb 95' which means I had only read probably two parts, looking at the prog dates.