Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 05 March, 2014, 05:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Issue one comes with FOUR covers :o

Regular Cover:- Glenn Fabry with digital painting by Ryan Brown
Subscription Cover:- James Stokoe
Retailer Incentive Cover:- Colin Wilson & Adrian Salmon
Retailer Exclusive Cover:- Alberto Ponticelli colours by Stephen Downer

Let us just say straight away, this is a hell of a lot better than the ongoing Dredd and I thoroughly enjoyed it :D

What I enjoyed No holding back on the gore and the vivid colours involved in those panels. Some nice interaction between Rogue and the bio-chips and the story is full of action, which is what we want from a war story!

Obviously I have some niggles, [spoiler]the insane head on attack by Rogue (which most should've seen on the eight page preview). Why would he do that when he should've attacked from the side. Helm should've told him the numbers and configuration of the enemy as they advanced. Also with the attack, Rogue seemingly fires a dozen or so rounds on the splash panel and then we see him finally hit the first Nort on the following panel. During this sequence we've seen him running full pelt towards the enemy on level ground, while he fires and then in one panel he's down behind a small undulation in the ground![/spoiler] There's also the changing face mask on the Souther soldier, it's massive and clear at the start and near the end it's tiny and red.

Overall an excellent introduction to Rogue and his world, without having to explain everything with a heavy stick and I'm looking forward to reading more, so well done IDW  :thumbsup:

TordelBack

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too (Colin Wilson cover, 'natch).  I thought the thing with Breaker's mask had to be deliberate, but I haven't worked out why he changes it.  The biochip banter was great, the redesigned kit actually looks quite fresh, and I like the restraint shown in not spelling everything out.  Some nice nods to details from the original too. 

Some minor wobbly moments in the art, and I do remain unconvinced by 'mineral reserves' as a casus belli for space-faring folk, but this is another good IDW book.  It's very interesting to see a Rogue Trooper without the baggage that a return to the Prog always seems to bring: doesn't have to be startlingly original or respectfully traditional to work.

Bat King

I enjoyed the story. I also noticed the odd goings on with the Souther helmet. I'm not sure why sometimes one couldn't see the lad's face.

This is much, much more a decent Rogue than the ongoing Dredd series. I've got this ordered at OK Comics. I don't buy the ongoing Dredd.

Here is a link to the Preview I did in case anyone wants to look at the pages that John refers to.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

COMMANDO FORCES

Just looking at that Souther visor again and when we first see him, in those four panels it's red as well :think: so it may change colour with certain angles or due to glare, reaction style! Although that wouldn't account for the size change! Anyway, it'll be interesting to find out if there is a reason!

Bat King

The frontal attack by the way made it feel old school to me. Didn't realise that to thinking about what you said about it. In Boys Own style the hero is almost always head on. Bad guys come from behind. 

No excuse. I am guessing it was a visual choice.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

TordelBack

Quote from: Bat King on 06 March, 2014, 09:29:47 AM
The frontal attack by the way made it feel old school to me. Didn't realise that to thinking about what you said about it.

For grud's sake don't start thinking about things the CF way!  You'll never enjoy any depiction of fantasy combat situations ever again!

Bat King

Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Recrewt

Blimey, from the preview this does look good.  I seem to recall many occasions in the past where Rogue would just rush in with all guns blazing, especially when the group is only small. 

Still looks like he is shooting at the ground on that splash page though.

Albion

That was surprisingly good. Well done IDW. Way better than the Dredd title.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Frank

A review from a long lost friend of the forum:

"Issue 1 read. I have a hard copy not a digital version. My review/observations...

Cover

The Glenn Fabry cover is very striking in paper format. It's superb.

Storyline/backstory

Backstory similar or identical to the original 2000 AD version. Nu-Earth is the same, the premise of the story is the same - Rogue and the other GIs betrayed by the Traitor General (although he isn't mentioned in issue 1) in the Quartz Zone.

Not much to say about the content of this new storyline. It's very early days story-wise, feels more like the opening five minutes of a feature film rather than the full first act, but the basics are all in place for a long extended storyline.

Appearance of Rogue Trooper and other characters

Well... Rogue looks different but does he look better or more 21st century comic book looking? I would say no on both counts. The uniform looks okay but the original helmet looked better. Rogue's new helmet is smaller and noticeably narrower at the sides. It is smoother with no round groove marks.

Bagman looks like an insect's shell not a baggage container/backpack. It looks a little weird but I guess old time readers of Rogue Trooper will get used to the new look Bagman. The Norts look identical to the 2000AD Rogue Trooper version. All of the rest - landscape, weapons, vehicles etc - looks the same as the original strip.

Artwork

Rather good. Detailed, easy to follow. Action scenes done very well. Colouring is fine too.

Observations/trivia and general geeky stuff

No-one mentions Rogue by his name.

The story is very graphic indeed. The original Rogue Trooper was never this gory. Nothing is left to the imagination. Heads explode and you see everything going everywhere. This is future war with the emphasis on the WAR!

The biochips swear. They say *beep*. I thought it was unnecessary but it's not a big deal. Just stood out a bit.

Milli-Com isn't mentioned nor shown although we do see [spoiler]a similar looking orbiting base called Buzzard 1.[/spoiler] Perhaps it's an updated version of Milli-Com?

The Glenn Fabry cover features the original Rogue Trooper, not the new IDW Rogue Trooper. Rogue is wearing his original helmet. The alternate Colin Wilson cover also features the original Rogue Trooper.

The biochips don't have the skull caption panels. It's just regular speech bubbles.

There is a nice tribute to artist José Ortiz. He drew Rogue Trooper in the 1980s. Mr Ortiz passed away in 2013.

Verdict

It's a decent enough start so I'll give it 6.5 out of 10 but my score is taking into account this is very much chapter 1 of an ongoing saga. "

James Stacey

Well I thought it was great. Maybe its because Rogue has been mishandled, rebooted, mashed up and over-continuity-ised  (if its not a word it should be) over the years that this felt like the fresh start it needed. The new design looks good and works although I miss the white mohawk. The story set out well and kept the needed amount of backstory while happy to add its own spin and elements. Looking forward to where this goes.

Skullmo

Quote from: James Stacey on 10 March, 2014, 01:46:51 PM
Well I thought it was great. Maybe its because Rogue has been mishandled, rebooted, mashed up and over-continuity-ised  (if its not a word it should be) over the years that this felt like the fresh start it needed. The new design looks good and works although I miss the white mohawk. The story set out well and kept the needed amount of backstory while happy to add its own spin and elements. Looking forward to where this goes.

What haircut does he have?
It's a joke. I was joking.

James Stacey

Crew-cut, like I think Friday did? Makes more sense under a helmet I guess, but not as cool :D

dweezil2

Really enjoyed #1.
Well done to all involved-no hesitations in adding this to my regular comic order!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Link Prime

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 05 March, 2014, 05:00:37 PM
Issue one comes with FOUR covers :o

Regular Cover:- Glenn Fabry with digital painting by Ryan Brown
Subscription Cover:- James Stokoe
Retailer Incentive Cover:- Colin Wilson & Adrian Salmon
Retailer Exclusive Cover:- Alberto Ponticelli colours by Stephen Downer

Did you miss one?  ;) http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=1338181