Main Menu

Meg 209

Started by Trout, 28 July, 2003, 03:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Hooray! The mighty fish begins a Meg review thread!

I've only dipped into it so far, just popped a fin in, but I had to read Death first thing.

It's great stuff; gorgeous art and creepy storyline, but:

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

Death on a quad bike?

Scojo's going to be insufferable! It'll be monster trucks, frag grenades and dustbin-lid shields next.
:-)

- Trout

paulvonscott

Arse, havn't gpt the meg becuase the subscription ran out.

AIIIEE!

I'm skint, but I'll have to bite the bullet.

Queen Firey-Bou

aieeeeee! paul can't you sell a kidney or something?

Pete Wells

The Staples cover is wonderful (as usual) and I thought the Death story was going great guns until the ruddy quad bike and all i could think of was Sc*j*. Grrrrrr!

Art

http://www.arthurwyatt.co.uk/images/blog/death.jpg">

http://www.arthurwyatt.co.uk/images/blog/death2.jpg">

Mangamax

Same here - dead moody stuff, seemimgly still back to its creepy roots and then Wagner goes and blows it with that bike. Not looking forward to the next one now.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

The Monarch

Heh,heh,heh a quad bike really?!?

Pete Wells

Do you think Dylan will sue? ;)http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_7605797/Get+ready+to+sue+Mongo!.jpg?bcmWQJ_AO5DJBPaa">

DavidXBrunt

Very good Meg. Reading it helped pass the journey into Manchester in the 26, and half the journey back.

Larger page count for the strips as well, unless I'm much mistaken.

W. R. Logan

Nice to see that Meg 211 has got two variant covers by by Frazer Irving and that subscribers get both 8-)

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Leigh S

Which will be rarer: The monster truck or shield variant?

McNulty

Here's my views;

Judge Dredd: Good start to a story. Nice to see Dredd exploring his world again. Should progress well.

Devlin Waugh: For some reason, I'm having difficulty with getting to grips with this story. It's a lot easier to understand than his recent outings (not so much occult babble). I can't explain it.

Harry Twenty: A nice story when I first read it. Of course, since I have all the 2000ADs, its a little redundant for me, but good for the newer readers.

Darke's Mob: Still enjoying this tale of WWII Jap-bashing, not so much for the anti-Japanese message, but more for the battles and the fight for survival that the ever lessening Mob has to face.

Apocalypse Soon: Death takes acid!

Xtinct: Not impressed with the initial offering. Too many dinosaurs in comics these days. 2000AD has done the talking dino thing already, and that didn't work out too well...

The Bendatti Vendetta: Another strip I can't get into I'm afraid, but I like the artwork.

And finally...Judge Death: The next Death story after what happened in the children's home was going to have to do something big if it wasn't going to dissappoint. It was hard to top what Anderson had to deal with. The story started just as moodily as before, and even the part with Death considering his mission and the huge obstacles he has to overcome was good. But I have to agree that the quad bike at the end was not the right way to go...

Link: The A-Z of Cal-Hab

Trout

Briefly, my preferences:

I loved Dredd, X-tinct and Darkies's Mob and quite enjoyed reading Harry Twenty again.

Dredd and Devlin were good enough, Bendatti I can't get into but I love the art, and Apocalypse Soon wasn't very good, IMO. I don't find it funny and Terry Pratchett used the same device before, and even then it was just okay.

I continue to hope Gordon Rennie may provide some information within his column. I rarely think about it after I've read it.
By contrast, for example, David Bishop's now-abandoned column in Comics International actually told tales from inside the industry, although it did degenerate into a slagging match after a while.

On the other text piece, I never read Battle but I was interested to hear about the early careers of various 2000AD people.

Overall, an above-average Meg, improved by the removal of Black Siddha and the reintroduction of a bit on the history of comics.

- Trout

Proudhuff

As if you care...

Great cover

JD shaping up nicely but Godard/Teague's Dredd lacks gravitas, lets hope there are some surprises

I liked the Death artwork and thought nothing wrong with the Qbike, the child on the pitckfork shocked me, well done Wagner/Irvine

Does anything change in Devlin? we seem no further forward than the fight on the boat, its all a bit like the PS1 game Dino Crisis

Harry's mob, dum, de dum...  now...

Xtinct, what a breath of freash air! reminds me at times of Morbious (?) the french BD story but with Dinos, and Hamster/generators and Rupert bear gets killed heheheh my kindatown, more please thargy

Bendatti, lovely art work, well told but haven't British ganster been done to death since Get Carter and The Sweeney?

overall? well above average, great artwork throughout the futures bright the futures blood coloured...

Huffy

DDT did a job on me

Trout

Huffy, that's Moebius; real name Jean Giraud.

Designer on The Fifth Element and others.

- Trout