Main Menu

Meg 210

Started by The Amstor Computer, 25 August, 2003, 09:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

To be honest, by the time you get to prog 700-900, you've got bigger problems than gore - how about:

JUNKER!!

UNIVERSAL SOLDIER!!

WIREHEADS!!

ROBO-HUNTER!!

SOUL GUN WARRIOR!!

MOTHER EARTH!!

Plus dozens of other thrillsuckers :-)

W. R. Logan

> I gave all my old stuff to Oxfam and hope some fanboy would wet himself when he found it.

Went into an Oxfam the other day and saw some old comics that were priced at ?1.50 each. I pointed out to the old lady behind the counter that their pricing seemed very excessive. I was told that old comics were very collectable and that was reflected in the pricing. I did try to point out that ROM Spaceknight wasn?t good the first time round so at ?1.50 a time she was never going to sell them.

La Placa Rifa,
http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/>W. R. Logan.

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/images/Co79_logo.gif>

opaque

They all do this, it's the same mindset that makes people think their collections are worth thousands when they try and sell them.

SmallBlueThing

For some reason wasn't expecting my Meg on Monday- and forgot it had arrived until seeing it under the coffee table today. Haven't had time to read it all yet, but in order of excitement:

Darkie's Mob: very sad to see this end- though the climax itself was fitting. I've loved every single panel and only wish it could have been seen as originally intended, without the pc censorship. Easily the best thing in the Meg for months and I am only heartened by the fact that Charley's War is coming soon. If ever there was a counterpoint to the reactionary cries of '70s/ 80s war comics equals racism', then CW is it. very dissappointed to see no mention of CW starting next issue though.

Death: Genuinely affecting characterisation. Beautiful art. Love it.

Blazing Battle Action: I'm absolutely in favour of these features- more please, but perhaps a veriety of authors would be better.

Dredd: So-so. Wasn't overly thrilled by this story, but it's better than The Satanist over in the weekly.

Devlin: Sorry, but I've lost this one. Round and round we go. Murky boring art. Yadda yadda. Panels in which you can't tell what the hell is going on. Oh please make it stop.

Future Shock: Heh.

The Ronald Reagan letter: Oh good god. Is this the kind of people that 2000ad attracts these days? Maybe it's time to stop reading.

Haven't read Bendatti, Xtnct or Hazzer 20 yet, as they can wait til I'm more fully awake. But that Apocalypse Soon thing actually showed signs of becoming something more than just a badly thrown-together series of puerile gags and sub-Bisley art this week. Was that a plot, almost?

Gordon Rennie's page seemed too much like macho posturing to be taken seriously. I don't appreciate being talked down to. Pictured him a bit pissed at a barbeque mouthing off hoping girls would overhear, after he'd been singled out as 'the comicbook geek', while someone transcribed. We've all thrown stuff away, Gordon- it's no big deal. My son regurgitated breast milk on my copy of prog 3 the other day. I wiped it off and left it on the windowsill to dry. And I DIDN'T send him to the workhouse. We all know life is more than just old comics and Dr Who books- it doesn't need pointing out.

Steev

The Amstor Computer

"The Ronald Reagan letter: Oh good god. Is this the kind of people that 2000ad attracts these days? Maybe it's time to stop reading"

Hmmm... the idea of the Meg being comic-of-choice for die-hard Reaganites is rather off-putting, isn't it?

Bart Oliver

Like alot of other things I gave away/slung out/left behind my entire comic collection, give or take 500 progs, signed this and that, artist sketches etc. when I left home as a teenager.

Nihilistic little bastard that I was- If  I'm  honest it smarts a little now.

Today I bought progs 345 thru' 351 at face value purely for the two McMahon Slaine strips; Heroe's Blood and The Shoggey Beast - completely forgot about these stories, what a trip.

Why these stories didn't double up with Sky Chariots in the latest Titan hardback Tharg only knows..

Cliche I know, but I've proved to myself again, what goes around comes around.

B.
Obviously you're not a golfer.

W. R. Logan

>We all know life is more than just old comics and Dr Who books- it doesn't need pointing out.

is it?

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

paulvonscott

"Why these stories didn't double up with Sky Chariots in the latest Titan hardback Tharg only knows"

Bart the answer to that question is easy, laziness.  Titan had the films for those slaines and so just stuck em all in a big book regardless of the fact that they were by different artists from different periods of slaine's life and had nothing in common with each other.  Stupid Laziness or Lazy Stupidness.  Your choice!

Stupid!  Stupid!  Stupid!

Dudley

> Hmmm... the idea of the Meg being comic-of-
> choice for die-hard Reaganites is rather off-
> putting, isn't it?

Well, let's look at the evidence.  Who would read a comic like this?  

The lead character lives in a world clearly predicated on a Cold War era fantasy where the Americans beat the Sovs and remain the greatest power on Earth.  This week he visits a future China, where people call him a round-eyed devil and constantly address one another as Master.

Inside, a reprint of a space prison fantasy gives rise to one of the most powerful myths in the American republican mindset - that of the small man against the system.  He uses his own pluck and technical skills to beat the sadistic, identically-dressed clone guards.

A celebratory reprint of a World War II strip reminds us of simpler days when Nips were automatically bad, the natives on our side were good but simple-minded, and everything could be sorted out with a bullet and the raw strength of a true man.  The strip is backed up with a lovingly detailed history of the simpler days of UK comics, where a Native American man who was brave but silent counted as revolutionary.

Let's continue.  A strip about a gay vampire priest shows that even the toughest homosexual is nothing but a mass of camp cliches - and anyway, he's been infected by The Sickness.  A beautifully-rendered strip glorifies the eye-for-an-eye Old Testament theology so beloved of Ronaldus Magnus.  Finally, Xtnct warns of the perils for humanity of meddling with the genes that the Good Lord gave us.

David, over to you.

Dud (slightly scared by his own analysis)

PS Thank god for Apocalypse Soon

PPS Or thank other non-demoniational deity, spirit, political philosophy of your choice.

Proudhuff

Gordon Bennett Dudley!! your scaring us all now...

I just thought it was a letter from a ironic yank ;)
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Time for all us Reaganites to come out of the closet I guess...

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dudley

Actually, don't ask me why, but I read it and thought it was a spoof from Gordon Rennie.  Am I right?  Do I win a prize?

Trout

Quick comment: good Meg!

- Trout