Main Menu

Prog 1286 Future Shock

Started by McNulty, 13 April, 2002, 04:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McNulty

I'm not normally a fan of the recent Future Shocks. I think most of it been done before or is of poor quality anyway. So I was pleasantly surprised by this week's offering. I have to admit, it was a good one. I liked the idea of a brutal war being cleaned up for public consumption, and the way some heroes can be manufactured while the truly brave are unknown and forgotten. The bit at the end with the dead soldier's twin boys completely taken in by the propaganda was good as well.

paulvonscott

It certainly had a feel of the old future shocks about it.  In fact the last one Mr Blythe did had a similar feel.  Both had experienced artists on them and Blythe coloured them too.  And both were future war ones, an old staple of 2000AD.

I confess I made the mistake of giving up before the end as I assumed it was something to do with it all being a computer game, however I read it again later and enjoyed it.

Thread Zero

Shame it made a complete mockery of the submissions rule for future shocks though:

Submission rules by Andy Diggle (pasted from link):
Future Shocks are always exactly five page long.

Who cares about future shocks anyway?

If you want a real future shock, imagine Judge Death giving some heart to heart love in the Big Meg!

scojo

Adrian Bamforth

Agreed, t'was a great story - chilling and satirical. I'm usually so-so about Parkhouse's art but Blythe's colouring gives it an a bit more mood to his usual slightly cartoony style. Well, he was bound to wasn't he?

ADE

paulvonscott

Yeah, I usually associate Parkhouse with a cartoony or comic style.  This was fairly gritty I thought.

Was it six pages?  Ah well.

paulvonscott

So when is chris blythe going to give up the day job, 2 out of 2 so far...

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.