Main Menu

Best series you've stuck with until the end?

Started by Art, 10 March, 2005, 10:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

What comic that went out in a blaze of glory have you no regrets about sticking with?

Tordelbach

I nearly hate to say it, but seeing 'Cerebus' out was a profound experience.  The end, when it finally came, was far from a blaze of glory, more an agonising death rattle drawn out over several years.  However, if Sim's intention was indeed to depict "a single life", this drawn out decline and eventual senility was pretty convincing.  I've just recently re-read all 6000+ pages (phew), and much of what the old loon says is borne out in hindsight - the *story* ended in issue 200, but the *life* continued for another 9 years, right up to 300.  There were many times that I wish I'd bailed out (the Woody Allen sequences spring to mind), but I am really glad I stuck it out.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

carefree

Preacher. Although it caused a furore when re-printed in the Meg, it is a great story and re-read at least once a year by me.
Oh, and at the moment it is 100 Bullets

GermanAndy

That is an easy one.

Preacher
Sandman
Doom Patrol (The Morrison run)
The Spectre (The Ostrander/Mandrake run)
Transmetropolitan

ukdane

OUTLAW NATION.

and I know it's not dead yet, but: SLEEPER
Cheers

-Daney

Art

It'll be a shame it's gone, but every indication is that Sleeper will be going out in style...

Fopr me it would be the Morrison runs on Doom Patrol and Animal Man.

Transmet is almost there, with a cracking last episode, but it got bogged down a little towards the end. I've really got to re-read the last few Transmets to see if it was Ellis writing for the trades or just slow.

Preacher and The Invisibles also very nearly make the list, but they both had their slow patches towards the end. And Preacher seemed to forget an entire subplot when it ended.

Art

Gah! How could I forget Hitman! That was greast from start to finish. Why the hell was it never collected properly?

Pete Wells

Yup, have to go along with Preacher, I loved the end but wasn't all all suprised at the too-cool comic nerd who slated it. I've just bought all the 100 Bullets GN's and am up to book 4, it's wonderful! Lucky me!

The other series I hope to stick with is of course Dredd. Lets hope the series doesn't go to pot in future, it's been part of most peoples lives here for decades.

Pete.

The Monarch

Suicide squad (Ostrander)

Mere words cannot describe my fondness for this series from the beginning right down to the end it was a true treat

Art

All of Animal Man is currently available, collectd in three volumes - if you haven't read it go get it now - You won't regret it!

stevemfp

Can I put in a vote for The Establishment by Ian Edgington and Charlie Adlard. It needed more time for character development but the final scene of the team heading for certain death to the strains of the Thunderbirds theme covers the "blaze of glory" for me.

Matt Timson

Another vote for Animal Man.  I don't even mind that some of my best ideas turned up in it- Morrison undoubtedly put them to far better use than I ever would've done...
Pffft...

SamuelAWilkinson

"And Preacher seemed to forget an entire subplot when it ended."

Not wanting to sound thick, though I undoubtedly will, but which subplot was that, then?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Quirkafleeg

There's more than one... and it cheated like hell.