Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

What's the word for when you think someone has already died, and then you find out they've been alive all this time, but now they've really died?

We re-watched Aliens recently. Apone is a legendary character, and what a performance.

Bolt-01

"The sarge is gone!"

I don't remember seeing Matthews in anything else, but Apone is a fantastic character. Think a rewatch of Aliens is in order now...

TordelBack

Absolutely badass.  I've started many of my kids' mornings by loudly quoting Apone as I turf them out of their beds. RIP Al Matthews.

Sad to also note the passing of Gary Kurtz - a beard for the ages, and a vital moving part of several of the greatest films of all time. And Slipstream.

Frank

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 25 September, 2018, 12:08:14 PM
I don't remember seeing Matthews in anything else ...

The third one.

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 25 September, 2018, 01:33:50 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 25 September, 2018, 12:08:14 PM
I don't remember seeing Matthews in anything else ...

The third one.

He was Benny Green's Dad too.   Gave Bullet Baxter what-for and all.

Dandontdare

and the first black voice on Radio 1 apparently!

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 September, 2018, 02:15:47 PM
and the first black voice on Radio 1 apparently!

Hmmm - that statement might need some defining of what 'radio 1' is...

Dandontdare

Umm - BBC radio station for groovy young swingers and hep cats? The bit I would like clarification is if they mean as a singer, a presenter or an interviewee.

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 September, 2018, 05:26:53 PM
Umm - BBC radio station for groovy young swingers and hep cats? The bit I would like clarification is if they mean as a singer, a presenter or an interviewee

Matthews was still burning into hot LZs and wasting VC when The Nation's Favourite hit the airwaves. He didn't move to that London until 1970 and didn't put the Hit into Parade until 1975, so that (questionable) bit of trivia must refer to Matthews' role as presenter of his 1978 disco show:

https://soundcloud.com/al-matthews-collection/sets/bbc-radio-onediscovation-jingles

rogue69

He was the first black DJ

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 25 September, 2018, 05:47:07 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 September, 2018, 05:26:53 PM
Umm - BBC radio station for groovy young swingers and hep cats? The bit I would like clarification is if they mean as a singer, a presenter or an interviewee

Matthews was still burning into hot LZs and wasting VC when The Nation's Favourite hit the airwaves. He didn't move to that London until 1970 and didn't put the Hit into Parade until 1975, so that (questionable) bit of trivia must refer to Matthews' role as presenter of his 1978 disco show:

https://soundcloud.com/al-matthews-collection/sets/bbc-radio-onediscovation-jingles

BBC Radio 1 was launched in 1967. though was an immediate succesor to the BBC Light Programme, which was launched in 1945.  I'd believe that Matthews was the first black presenter on Radio 1 as late as 1978, and even as an interviewee, but not as a singer.  For reference, the first black performer to have a UK number one was Winifred Atwell in 1954 (the 26th single to make number one).

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 25 September, 2018, 08:27:53 PM
I'd believe that Matthews was the first black presenter on Radio 1 as late as 1978, and even as an interviewee, but not as a singer.  For reference, the first black performer to have a UK number one was Winifred Atwell in 1954 (the 26th single to make number one).

Just for completeness, Winifred was a pianist, and her single that got to number one was an instrumental rag.

Hawkmumbler

Norm Breyfogle

I have no words. A legend of the medium, gone.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 September, 2018, 10:02:20 PM
Norm Breyfogle

I have no words. A legend of the medium, gone.

This is terrible, just terrible. Norm Breyfogle was such an enormous talent. My favourite Batman artist but I'm sure so much more too.

The industry has lost a major, major talent.

My thoughts are with his family.

JamesC

Terrible news about Breyfogle. He was a fantastic artist and had an amazing talent for dynamism and movement in his pages. Definitely my favourite Batman artist.