Main Menu

First Nintendo Revolution game pics & info...

Started by The Amstor Computer, 08 April, 2006, 09:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

One for the gamers, I'm afraid ;-)

Courtesy of the latest issue of GameInformer, we finally have some screenshots & info on a new title called Red Steel. It's being developed by Ubisoft and should be a launch title. I'm posting the photos of the mag article in question below, along with some notes about the game itself. Note that while there is some doubt over whether the screens have been touched up slightly, the pics are supposed to be in-game and should be what you will see in the final title. It does seem to suggest that - despite being less powerful than either the PS3 or Xbox 360, the Revolution should deliver a pretty decent graphical punch. Couple that with a new interface and a rumoured low price, and it looks like it could be a promising little beast.

RED STEEL

-- Developed by Ubisoft Paris (team members have previously worked on Prince of Persia, Far Cry, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell)

-- The game is a first-person shooter (not a rail-shooter), but also features combat with edged weapons

-- Incorporates the Revolution freehand controller

-- Moving the controller shifts your aim, letting you target quickly & efficiently. Rotating the controller adjusts the angle of your weapon. The analogue "nunchuk" attachment controls your movement

-- Swordplay features heavily, with the controller translating your hand movement into onscreen movements of the blade. You can use the sword throughout, but it's necessary for duels with boss characters

-- Other interesting uses for the controller - for example, move behind a table and flick the controller forward to knock it over and use as cover, or throw or roll grenades in the same way, with the force you use translating into the distance the grenade will travel

-- Splitscreen and online multiplayer

There's more in the article, but not all of it has been transcribed yet. If I get anything else, I'll post it here. Also worth noting that Nintendo are claiming that there should be around 20 titles for launch, with a third of those (5-7?) being developed by Nintendo themselves.

Anyway, onto the pics - if better quality scans show up I'll post them here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/red1.jpg">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/red2.jpg">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/red3.jpg">

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Devons Daddy

i have also heard.from a nintendo marketing guy who frequents my shop.

current projected price USD 250-300 for core unit,after about 4-6 months of release at higher price band. as they know gamers are willing to pay for the priveledge of being first (sad but true)

online play,no specifics yet talked off,but ability to download entire nintendo catalogue expected to be confirmed soon. prices to be reflective of age of game. from 6USD and upward at this time.

working with EA games for a specifically revolution based star wars jedi adventure,not confirmed but rumours are strong.
word is, they will ,licence a light sabre controller for this game. (if this is correct the marketing guy agreed. SYSTEM SELLER!)

price looks good,but at this time,no software writers outside of japan have much info or systems specs to create support.which has been a failing with nintendo for a long time.

graphics said to be better then game cube but not up to PS3 projections at this time.

but given overall next gen consoles. XBOX may be first,but they could well end up being reminded of the tortoise and the hare.

have to say the revs controller sounds very exciting.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

IndigoPrime

:: ability to download entire nintendo catalogue expected to
:: be confirmed soon. prices to be reflective of age of game.
:: from 6USD and upward at this time

I hope that's not the case. $6 will translate to five quid, which is  too much for those old games. Nintendo should adopt an iTunes-style thinking, perhaps releasing everything at a two-quid (three-dollar) price-point, which would ensure gamers download a whole load of stuff.

That said, this is the only console of this generation (bar hand-helds) that I'm remotely interested in. It has the potential to do something a bit different and -- like the DS -- actually bring the fun back into gaming.

The Amstor Computer

I'd quite happily pay a fiver for many of the N64 titles, and some SNES titles, but if the charge for most NES & SNES games was much more than ?1-2 I'd be unlikely to look at them. If Nintendo and the various third parties fixed prices at around:

NES titles - ?1
SNES titles - ?2-3
N64 titles - ?5

...I would think that would be reasonable, and it would certainly encourage me to pick up quite a few Virtual Console titles. When you consider the massive success Nintendo have had with re-releases of NES classics like Super Mario Bros, Excitebike etc., even at a pound each this could be a hugely profitable exercise for them - and for the various third parties involved.

I'm also looking forward to playing the Master System & Mega Drive titles, and I'm hoping the recent announcement of Hudson's support means we'll see forgotten classics like Dracula X.

UKD --

I'd be surprised if the $250-300 projections held up, as I don't believe any of their previous home consoles launched for more than $199, or the local equivalent. A quick Google shows that both the N64 and the GameCube were available for $199 at launch in the US, with equivalent prices for launch in Japan.

Nintendo have also made a big thing of keeping the technology small, quiet, powerful but cheap, and of making the point that they want to come in as the least expensive of the next-gen consoles. Rumours of a launch price of $149.99 have been swirling for months, and I would be very surprised if the Revolution launched for a price outside the $150-200 bracket.

As for their approach to Western developers, I believe it has improved somewhat with the GameCube and should be much better with the Revolution and DS. Certainly, it's telling that the first Revolution title shown should be one developed by a Western studio. The rumours of $2,000 development kits being made available also suggests that they are serious about getting as many developers on board as possible - at that price, even the smallest developer can afford to buy a kit, unlike the rumoured $20-30,000 cost of PS3 and 360 kits. I don't doubt they have a long way to go with repairing relations with Western developers, but it does appear that they are very serious about doing so.

IndigoPrime

Those NES remakes are what worry me: they were ?15 a pop, despite the fact that they would have all fitted on a single cart. (Now *that* would have been good value!)

Roger Godpleton

Have to say that this particular game looks a bit "Police 911" (or whatever it was called, you know, the light gun game where you could duck).

Still want a Revolution though.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

The Amstor Computer

Krust --

Are you thinking of Time Crisis? Either way, as this is a FPS and not an on-rails shooter along the lines of titles like House of the Dead or Time Crisis, I think we should expect more freedom of movement.

Anyway, more info:

-- Ubisoft had been experimenting with the controller before it was officially unveiled

-- The Ubisoft Paris team met with Nintendo directly to discuss their idea and received support from Nintendo engineers during the development of the title

-- The game camera follows your aiming with a small delay, so that if you point to the edge of the screen the viewpoint will shift after a second. This means you can target effectively and quickly but not leave you spinning if you whip the controller from side-to-side

-- There is a progression in the game from the more violent, chaotic battles in the early stages of the game to more precise, restrained combat in the latter sections as your skills build

-- In later sections you will be using smaller, more precise weapons with "the goal... to use five bullets to kill five enemies"

-- According to the article "when fighting with this level of skill, the music and sound effects will reflect it, remaining calm and peaceful. When you fight brutally, the sounds around you grow increasingly more intense"

-- Tracing shapes in the air will activate combo moves - for example, moving the controller to trace an X will unleash a devastating combo move. You can interrupt combos at any point so that you're not left vulnerable if you misjudge your timing

-- The game features a "Freeze Shot". Fight efficiently and accurately & you fill the Freeze Shot gauge. Fight sloppily and it decreases.

-- When the gauge is filled you can hit a button to stop time and target specific locations on enemies. Non-lethal shots, such as shooting guns out of an enemy's hand, can be more beneficial than using the Freeze Shot to make headshots

-- By defeating high ranking leaders who command others and sparing their lives, you will be rewarded. The defeated leader will offer you respect and help (guns, help, new weapons, alternate paths, etc)

-- Respect plays a major part in the game

-- New moves will be taught to you by two mentors in the game. One will teach gun tactics, and another will teach sword tactics. If you don't show the proper respect to them, they won't help you. You can train with them to hone your skills

-- Respectful interaction is tied to the controller. You can signal yes & no by "nodding" the controller or shaking it from side to side. You can show added respect by "bowing" with the controller

-- All conversations take place in game, rather than as cutscenes, so your movement/behaviour during these sections determines how respectful you are to the people you're talking to. If you move away or don't treat them with the proper respect they will become angry and unhelpful - keeping in the good graces of your mentors and other characters helps your progress through the game

-- Sparing boss characters allies them with you and give you aid in your final battle against the main villain, so fighting mercifully benefits you in the long run. You can spare them by beating them in duels and stopping just before landing a killing blow

-- Destructible environments

SamuelAWilkinson

>Are you thinking of Time Crisis?

No, he's not. Police 911 was similar to time crisis, except you were in a big box full of motion sensors, so you had to do all the ducking behind boxes and stuff yourself.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

The Amstor Computer

Ah. Just Googled it & I see what you're both talking about. Looks like a rail-shooter but with all the player's movements translating into dodges, ducks and movement. Pretty nifty, but quite a bit more energetic than using the Rev controller!

Devons Daddy

police 911 and several other motion sensor arcade games are big out here.
there are several axe,sword wrestling,boxing and gun ones.
if they are available for the nintendo rev then this really could be the killer apts that will sell the unit,

have to say the whole new direction this unit offers sounds like sort of thing a next gen console should be,not just upgraded graphics.

a whole new style of game play.12months form now,when all three are on the market,it should be interesting.i think that nintendo may be the dark horse here.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!