Main Menu

"2000AD Presents"

Started by Marbles, 16 August, 2002, 04:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

OK I know I'm dreaming here, but I was thinking it would be cool if there was a monthly Megazine style anthology comic that reprinted an eclectic (my fave word Trout) selection of the best strips from around the world to a wider UK/2K audience.
My (say 6) strips suggestions for the premiere issue of such a Meg would be :-
(1) 'LoXG' v.1
(2) Something from  the French scene's 'Humanoids Publishing' - say 'Technopriests'
(3) 'Lone Wolf and Cub'
(4) 'The Filth'
(5) More 'Hellboy'
(6) A reprint of 'Darkie's Mob' from 'Battle' :O))

Anyone wanna make some suggestions ??
(Oh and while I'm here there will be a long interview with ex-'Battle' editor Dave Hunt coming v. soon on ye olde Marbles website.

Remember - dry hair is for squids

Oddboy

That sounds excellent!
Can we add Charlie's War to the list?  I feel like I've missed out by not reading this story.  I'd love to get L of Ex G this way too.  I guess this kind of anthology would be a publishers/copyright nightmare, but it would be great!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Mudcrab

(1) Definitely, I've got the first series but seeing it in Megazine size would be fantastic!!

(2) Again, damn good idea. I'm reading The Metabarons just now. Damn good artwork, reminds me of a kind of John Burns/Mark Harrison kind of thing. Reads quite strangely sometimes, but that's probably the translation that does that.

(3, 4) Haven't seen them before

(5) I've still to go back and read all of Hellboy, so I can't say. I'd rather see a longer run though, unlike Preacher, which seemed to end rather suddenly.

Battle etc reprints, I'd love to see that, but I think I'd rather see a graphic novel of them come out.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Buddy

I'd like to see Dez Skinn revive WARRIOR - the best british monthly - ever.

The re-emergance of A1 is a step in the right direction, but Warrior would be great.

Link: http://www.ximoc.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.ximoc.co.uk

JamieB

I think licensing all that stuff would be wicked expensive.

*J*

Marbles

I thought reprints were cheap ? That's why the Meg went with them I thought ?

GordonR

Agreed.

Also, I'm sure Rebellion didn't spend all that money acquiring 2000AD, its stable of characters and its huge library of old material only to spend more money re-publishing other people's old material.

Matt

More original material please, written by the wonderful Mr. Rennie.

paulvonscott

JamieB

Yes indeedy. There's a ton of stuff to reprint from 2K's rich history - let alone some of the good stuff from the recent past.

Not that I'm sorry to see more people getting a look at (the ace) Hellboy, though ;)

*J*

Oddboy

The ol' Col. wasn't saying it had to be Rebellion who produced this magazine... From the looks of the line up suggested it would probably be best as a joint effort from several publishers.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Marbles

Well really all I was doing was day-dreaming about an 'All-Star' line-up of non-2k stuff that a 2k audience might like, if given the chance to see it. A lot of 2K/Meg readers don't read any other comics at all as I undertstand it.
'Queen and Country' is another brilliant series that springs to mind btw. And some of the esteemed Mr Rennie's Black Library stuff.

Of course more original 2K stuff is what we all want -  I was under the misapprehension that reprints are cheaper, so Rebellion could make a few bob at it and have more money for 2K...

JamieB

Oh, I know, it's a lovely idea - but DC, Humanoids and Dark Horse collaborating - from your original suggestions - won't ever happen*. More's the pity.

*Occasional charity project / XXXX vs Aliens book notwithstanding...

*J*