Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Been working my way through IDWs Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye and it really is some of the best sci-fi i've read in a long time. Charming, funny, heartfelt and absolutely beautiful to look at (Tharg, get Alex Milne drawing for the prog, NOW!) and also very different from anything the franchise has done before. An expansive space opera set after the civil war, allowing the cast of mostly unknowns to be fleshed out in a way they couldn't before and revisit some real deep cuts of mythology (well hello Dai Atlus, it's been 30 years). Highly recommended.

wedgeski

Quote from: wedgeski on 29 January, 2019, 04:59:19 PM
I've just started Revelation Space after trying it out, wow, 15 years ago and not liking it. Enjoying it much more this time around.
The Inhibitor trilogy ended up being my holiday reading. I really loved it, but a very strange non-ending. Apparently a few loose ends are dealt with in other novels?

Theblazeuk

Reading The Shadow Captain by Alastair Reynolds. I like this weird astropunky world of lost technology, solar sails and deep time. It's completely daft but it's fun. Struggled to remember a lot of Revenger, the first novel, but it's started to come back about halfway through the book. Won't be one of my favourites of Reynolds work but still a cut above most.

Apestrife

NEW GODS by Jack The King Kirby. Picked up the stand alone collection last week. Didn't take long for me to read it. Brilliant. A fantastic comic. Silver age gold. Lots of action and fun, as well as some really cool ideas. I really admire Orion. Guy's angry and not really a nice guy, but he still cares for those close to him, and sometimes even shows some empathy for his enemies. Darkseid is equally as interesting. Almost felt sorry for him when he's told about the Micro-Mark weapon, realising how fruitless his hunt for the anti life equation has been and how his lust for battle is being replaced by automated genocide. Not to mention when he wants the battle between Orion and Kabilak to be just. True gent, even if his the personification of a depression haha.

Colin YNWA

New Gods is one of my absolute favourites. Pretty much all of Kirby's post-Lee 70s work is and New Gods stands up well in a field of quite exceptional quality. If you enjoyed this I can't recommend the rest of his Fourth World stuff enough, its quite majestic.

That said read all of this stuff, Demon, OMAC, Kamandi, The Losers. Then  follow him back to Marvel for Devil Dinosaur, 2001 (personal favourite), Black Panther, The Eternals (another favourite of mine) and even Captain America which I'm sure is better than I give it credit for.

The man is The KIng for a reason!

The Adventurer

I've been sitting on Jack Kirby collections of New Gods and Mister Miracle. I really should get back to them. I picked them up in a ComiXology black friday sale last year after reading Tom King's Mister Miracle reminded me I've a giant Jack Kirby hole in my life I really should get around to filling in.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

titchard

I am currently reading Little by Edward Carey.  So far its really interesting.  I met the fellow last year and hes a really eccentric guy, can definitely recommend it so far.

He's a review in the Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/nov/10/little-by-edward-carey-review

Apestrife

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 March, 2019, 08:52:22 PM
New Gods is one of my absolute favourites. Pretty much all of Kirby's post-Lee 70s work is and New Gods stands up well in a field of quite exceptional quality. If you enjoyed this I can't recommend the rest of his Fourth World stuff enough, its quite majestic.

That said read all of this stuff, Demon, OMAC, Kamandi, The Losers. Then  follow him back to Marvel for Devil Dinosaur, 2001 (personal favourite), Black Panther, The Eternals (another favourite of mine) and even Captain America which I'm sure is better than I give it credit for.

The man is The KIng for a reason!

Yep, got the 4th world omnibus as 4 TPBs. Out of those I think Olsen, Forever people and Mister miracle really benefits from mixing in with each other, while New Gods -for me- really shines as a stand alone. But brilliant all of them. As are Demon and Omac. Waiting eagerly for Kamandi to come out as trade paper backs :)

New Gods is also a book I really hope DC puts out as an absolute at some point.

Quote from: The Adventurer on 19 March, 2019, 03:55:34 AM
I've been sitting on Jack Kirby collections of New Gods and Mister Miracle. I really should get back to them. I picked them up in a ComiXology black friday sale last year after reading Tom King's Mister Miracle reminded me I've a giant Jack Kirby hole in my life I really should get around to filling in.

I finished reading Tom's Mister Miracle (for the 4th time or something) this morning. Brilliant book. Each time I finish it I come up with new ideas about the ending :)

Colin YNWA

Still waiting for Kings (Tom not 'the') Mister Miracle to go on sale digitally as I hear nothing but good things.

Bad City Blue

Just read Garth Ennis' 'Jimmys Bastards'. Absolutely loved it, a filthy, violent piss take of james Bond
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Rately

Looking forward to picking up Kirby's The Demon at some point.

Loved that character, despite only having seen him in a Grant/Breyfogle Batman, and The Sandman!

The Adventurer

Quote from: Apestrife on 19 March, 2019, 04:28:22 PM

I finished reading Tom's Mister Miracle (for the 4th time or something) this morning. Brilliant book. Each time I finish it I come up with new ideas about the ending :)

So my take is....

[spoiler]Scott Free is trying to escape the super-hero comic reboot/relaunch cycle. His life won't progress because our reality demands the status quo. He tries to kill himself, the comic won't let the title character die So he forces the issue, killing off other characters, having a baby. And story keeps trying to rerail him back to a status quo. In the end he manages to break the cycle by burning nearly everything down, but even that is only as temporary as the end of the last page. [/spoiler]

That's my interpretation at least.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IAMTHESYSTEM

Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell. Scandi Noir from the early 1990s and very prescient with its racism fears over immigration and a double murder for Wallander to solve. It really could have been written about yesterdays headlines a frighteningly accurate view of our world almost 30 years on.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Apestrife

Quote from: The Adventurer on 19 March, 2019, 10:52:52 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 19 March, 2019, 04:28:22 PM

So my take is....

[spoiler]Scott Free is trying to escape the super-hero comic reboot/relaunch cycle. His life won't progress because our reality demands the status quo. He tries to kill himself, the comic won't let the title character die So he forces the issue, killing off other characters, having a baby. And story keeps trying to rerail him back to a status quo. In the end he manages to break the cycle by burning nearly everything down, but even that is only as temporary as the end of the last page. [/spoiler]

That's my interpretation at least.

That's a cool one!

[spoiler]Mine (my latest) is a bit similar. Scott is having trouble thanks to letting his real life getting "invaded" by comic stuff, or if it's a comic which is "invaded" by reality. Scott is sure he can escape, which he "does" with the "Mister Miracle won't be continued". [/spoiler]

I also really like the [spoiler]He's stuck in hell or heaven, but choose to stay[/spoiler] hinted in the last issue by [spoiler]Bug and Orion[/spoiler] :)

Apestrife

Day of the Jackal Very thrilling, and amazingly written. So well written (almost like actualy history) I was looking for an appendix in the back of it, see which sources which were used in order to write it.