Main Menu

Origins

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 September, 2010, 08:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well with my wife away with the little 'un leaving me behind to paint doors one evening over the bank holiday weekend I settled down to treat myself to reading Origins in one go.

When I first read this I was just getting back into 2000ad and certainly didn't really think it was all that. It was fine just not great. Now with a little more 2000ad umph behind me and basking in the glory that was 'Tour of Duty' it certainly makes for an interesting read.

Its hard, if a little unfair, not to compare it to both the recent epic and also 'Life and Death of Johnny Alpha'. Compared to the first it lacks some of the fine subtle character moments and a lot of the charm and originality. Compared to the later it faces its biggest problem. 'Life and Death' found a really interesting way of flashing back and telling a story from yester year. It felt plausible and natural. The flashbacks in 'Origins' on the other hand feel forced and contrived. It feels like two stories crammed together.

Having said all that however I really quite enjoyed it. Both the stories, all be it crammed together, are pretty good fun to read. The trail through the Cursed Earth to eventually meet the villian of the piece is fantastic fun, if not Wagner at his most brillant, certainly at his most entertaining. The flashbacks give a very honest and interesting reflection on the creation of Dredd's world and for me were the best part of the whole thing. It carries the weight of the epic nature of the story its telling really well, being both epic but not bombastic and is a great tale.

The ending did seem a little rushed, as though everyone had just lost a little momentium with the whole thing... well until that final scene between Dredd and Fargo which is just perfect and sets up so much and has such a massive impact on Dredd's world. That scene felt like to came from 'Tour of Duty', quite brillant.

Its goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, that it looks great throughout. Some fantastic work by Carlos Ezquerra means each page brims with character and excitment.

Flawed, fun and fascinating.