Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Man walks into a fancy dress party in a green tracksuit with a woman over his shoulder.

Host asks him what he's come as.

A teenage mutant ninja turtle.

Host squints. Thinks. What about her?

That's Michelle.
We never really die.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Professor Bear on 08 June, 2018, 07:47:40 PM
La Tortue Rouge - French/Japanese animated film in which a shipwrecked man encounters a giant red turtle which he kills and fucks, in that order.  Bloody French.
Worth a look if you fancy letting the kids watch something different.

Factually accurate, tonally dissonant :P

Hawkmumbler

PHENOMENA

Been the best part of a decade since I saw this Argento oddity. It's such a peculiar beast, somewhere between his conventional gialli and his Three Mothers trilogy, but damned if it doesn't have a lot to love. Jennifer Connelly mind controlling insects, Donald Pleasence with his psychic chimpanzee, killer babies and a cesspool of decomposing children's corpses. Oh, and Argento made this as a commentary on the catholic school system. Can you tell?

Mothra

The Ishiro Honda original. There's something about this first wave of Toho kaiju movies, Godzilla Raids Again not withstanding, they're cheesy but theirs a sense of earnestness to them missing from Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster onward, where they become extremely self aware. But yes, Mothra is a joy. A glorious slice of fantasy kaiju fair that makes perfect sunday morning viewing to just chill out and enjoy. So much fun.

Tiplodocus

Why have I not seen BEFORE SUNRISE until this evening?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

This is intended as a compliment so please take it as such; I can normally tell it's one of Hawkmumbler's posts just from the film titles. Similarly if you see the word "dick" several times in relation to a mainstream blockbuster, you can tell it's  Prof. Bear.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Pacific Rim 2: Uprising - I think the critics might have a point about this sequel never reaching the intellectual heights of the first movie, but this is probably the first film I can think of that's been actively kneecapped by a shameless pandering to other territories rather than the obvious pandering elements just being amusing.  There are a whole bunch of arcs that go nowhere* because a (rather bad) Chinese actor is shoehorned into scenes clearly set up for the annoying kid character and her home-made robot, but that character is in the rest of the movie so she has to be given something to do in the final act, which requires that a Chris Evans lookalike be written out of those scenes hurriedly without resolving his arc with John Boyega's character - which is basically Boyega's entire arc in the film.  So lots of stuff goes nowhere because one actor is crowbarred into scenes built around other actors' characters, but where this gets funny is if you Google the actor and find she is apparently not liked in China specifically because she's been crowbarred into many high-profile projects despite limited acting experience, so she's more likely to keep Chinese audiences away.  It's quite bizarre.
Anyway, despite the use of rocket science in the final act**, this is not actually rocket science as a movie, but it looks great and is entertaining even if nothing is ever really resolved very well and the non-monstery bits set in expensive-looking sets, the blatant China pandering, the alt-history setting and the open ending just makes it seem very similar to Independence Day: Resurgence - the whole "aliens want our molten lava!" McGuffin probably doesn't help, either.

* the "scrapper" robot arc, the single-pilot arc, Boyega/Not Chris Evans characters' animosity, annoying kid's trauma arc, etc
** especially a shameless theft from Kamen Rider Fourze

Mattofthespurs

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Surprisingly decent. The best prologue, in my opinion (obvs) of all 5 films.
A good first act, punchy that gets the exposition out quick, a good second act, but a slightly flabby 3rd act which goes on too long.

Good fun, despite 3 or 4 glaring plot holes. Enjoyed this but like most modern films (said the grumpy old git) over long by 15 mins at least.

Still, fun, fun, fun. 7/10

JayzusB.Christ

Robin Redbreast, on YouTube. Loved it.  Tightly scripted bit of proto-wickerman / straw dogs folk horror.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 June, 2018, 09:08:49 PM
Robin Redbreast, on YouTube. Loved it.  Tightly scripted bit of proto-wickerman / straw dogs folk horror.
Oh lovely! Picked up the BFI DVD sometime ago, really must sit down with it if it cones with the JBC approval!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 10 June, 2018, 12:09:49 AM
Why have I not seen BEFORE SUNRISE until this evening?
Dunno. And don't worry, I took at as a compliment. I absolutely adore these films, as I bored on about at some length here. NB second half of link contains spoilers for Before Sunset.
We never really die.

JamesC

Alien Covenant:

I was pleasantly surprised by this - really enjoyed it. Fassbender is always good value and you get twice the value out of him in this film. I've no idea how it's supposed to tie in to the beginning of Alien - probably through some overly convoluted bollocks which will no doubt become apparent over the next two or three films. I don't have too much invested in the Alien brand - I don't know what the hardcore fans made of this but it certainly kept me amused for a couple of hours.

Brawl in Cell Block 99:

Really good but far too violent (it's from the guy who made Bone Tomahawk). I don't know how many times I need to see a man stomp on another man's head. The specific threat made against the protaganists wife and unborn child also semed unnecessarily nasty. This guy definitely knows how to make a film but I think he needs to reign in his dark-side a bit. 

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 10 June, 2018, 10:55:24 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 June, 2018, 09:08:49 PM
Oh lovely! Picked up the BFI DVD sometime ago, really must sit down with it if it cones with the JBC approval!

Great film, and great disc from the BFI too.
Interesting interview with John Bowen included, discussing the chilling real-life inspiration for the story.

Hawkmumbler

Jaws

How can you possibly improve this movie? It would be an impossible task I suspect, it genuinely is a work of perfection the likes of which is rarely seen.

Mattofthespurs

Don't disagree Hawkmumbler.

My favourite all time film. Saw it as a 7 year old in 1975 at the pictures.

Well, I say 'saw it'. I saw up to the bit with Ben Gardner's head and then hid under the seat for the rest.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 14 June, 2018, 12:54:50 PM
Jaws

How can you possibly improve this movie? It would be an impossible task I suspect, it genuinely is a work of perfection the likes of which is rarely seen.

Perfection is the word.  There isn't a frame wasted, or a beat missed.  Extraordinary piece of craft.  Even better on the big screen.

It's my wife's favourite movie, to the point of obsession, and partly as a consequence I have seen it uncountable times.  I didn't think it too many.