Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 30 July, 2018, 02:40:10 PM
I see where people are coming from though: The stories are clever certainly but they never tackle any big themes or make you think after the event

Which is pretty much what I want in my summer blockbuster fare.

"Get Out" and "Mother!" are two that spring to mind that did make me think and did tackle big issues and I loved them both.

Surely there is room for both types of movie and surely people can appreciate both types for what they bring to the table.

I can't say that any Star Wars or Star Trek film brings anything very deep to the table either but I'm not expecting them too.

Sometimes I just want a solid good time. And in my opinion IM:Fallout was just that.

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 30 July, 2018, 12:13:42 AM
A Ghost Story.

That one took me by surprise, one of the best films I watched last year.
Was thinking about it for a good while afterwards too.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 July, 2018, 02:49:35 PM
However, comparing any action flick to Fury Road is hardly even fair: it's just raw genius start to finish.

Testify.

abelardsnazz

Enjoyed Fallout, although I did half-expect the Cruiser to say more than once, "I'm getting too old for this sort of thing", but of course he didn't. Maybe a touch too long, but the action, humour and plot all work well.

wedgeski

I'll hop on the Fallout love train. Stunning! McQuarrie and Cruise clearly get each-other. I'll take another one, please, and if you feel the need to kill off Ethan Hunt, that would be okay. Cruise is ageing spectacularly well, but it's going to catch up on him at some point. (If nothing else, on the basis of this film, he has to be rated as one of the best stunt-men in Hollywood.)

broodblik

Quote from: wedgeski on 02 August, 2018, 09:32:13 AM
I'll hop on the Fallout love train. Stunning! McQuarrie and Cruise clearly get each-other. I'll take another one, please, and if you feel the need to kill off Ethan Hunt, that would be okay. Cruise is ageing spectacularly well, but it's going to catch up on him at some point. (If nothing else, on the basis of this film, he has to be rated as one of the best stunt-men in Hollywood.)

Saw this last night and I agree that this is a great action movie in all senses
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The Matrix

The Warchowskis are like that band that made one brilliant, innovative and visceral album, an album that combined styles and genres in ways you never would have considered possible. Then every follow up attempt is a dismal dissapointment.
You may quote me on that.

Mattofthespurs

Ant-Man and the Wasp

As you would expect. Darn good fun and funny with it.

2 after credits 'bits'. Both worth catching.

I enjoyed this as did my Wife and my 14 year old Son.

Was a pleasant afternoon out in the lovely air conditioned cinema

Jim_Campbell

Seconded for Ant-Man and the Wasp. A lot of proper laughs in there, but retains the rather sweet heart of the first movie. A genuine, playful sense of fun and some pretty good running gags. A decent attendance for a Sunday afternoon, and a reasonably full house all laughing for much of the movie.

Good stuff. And, yes, stay for the mid and end credits scenes.

EDIT: also, yes, air conditioning. God, yes...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SIP

Quote from: Mister Pops on 05 August, 2018, 04:45:01 AM
The Matrix

The Warchowskis are like that band that made one brilliant, innovative and visceral album, an album that combined styles and genres in ways you never would have considered possible. Then every follow up attempt is a dismal dissapointment.

Couldn't agree more. Not really liked anything they have dine since.

The sequels to the Mateix are so disappointing. Best watched by itself, I now pretend that they never made the other two.

Mardroid

Glad to see two positive reviews of Antman and the Wasp. I'm seeing that Tuesday!

Hawkmumbler

Ant Man and Wasp: Yup, that was supremely fun! Some stunning action sequences alongside the now stable MCU wit makes for another satisfying outing. Very little I can say at this point, piked the last dozen movies? Watch this one, and stay for the post credits!

The Valley of Gwangi: Revisited a childhood favourite in glorious HD. It's daft, pulpy and innocently entertaining as hell. Cowboys vs. Dinosaurs. A winning formula, and what did we ever do to deserve Ray Harryhausen? A genius of his craft and entertaining people for years after his passing.

broodblik

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 07 August, 2018, 05:40:53 PM
The Valley of Gwangi: Revisited a childhood favourite in glorious HD. It's daft, pulpy and innocently entertaining as hell. Cowboys vs. Dinosaurs. A winning formula, and what did we ever do to deserve Ray Harryhausen? A genius of his craft and entertaining people for years after his passing.

Talking about Ray Harryhausen just brought back fond memories of Clash of the Titans (1981). One of my all time favorites
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 07 August, 2018, 05:40:53 PM

Became one of my favourite movies the first time I set eyes on it one million years ago,  and it has remained so through countless viewings - simple,  beautiful,  almost mournful in places,  and for me always evokes the same feelings as that dream where you find a hidden room in your house, in a way that more fantastical lost worlds don't. That maybe,  just maybe,  it wasn't a dream,  and there really is a hidden valley somewhere that we just haven't noticed.

And then the realisation that if there was we'd fuck that up too.

Hawkmumbler

Indeed boys, it's one of a number of movies my dead old nan tapped off the telly some many sundays ago that instilled and continues to maintain a sense of wonder and delight rarely captured. Other movies from thise happy times where Gwangis natural predecessors, The Lost World, King Kong and The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, and a whole slew of Doug McClure and Godzilla movies.

It's amazing that a movie with such an outlandish premise somehow suceeds in all areas and is a genuine masterpiece of subtlety. No mean feat for an old Western with a stop motion Allosaurus!