Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 August, 2018, 04:27:30 PM
Did anyone else wonder how the lab, the delicate equipment and the people inside survived all that mucking about?

No, because the fundamental premise makes no scientific sense whatsoever. Either roll with it, or don't.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

:lol: Fair enough!

Hank Pym may be a genius in quantum physics but he'd be a crap architect - I seem to recall some story about building your house on sand.....

Apestrife

The king of comedy.
Such a funny, awkward, dreamy and unsettling gem of a film. Not to mention satire. Scorsese directs De Niro in what rivals Taxi Driver for both when it comes to my favorite of theirs'. De Niro especially. He's fucking scary the way he plays Rupert. Naive, annoying, obsessed. Adding to the damage Scorsese blend of reality and the grand delusions of a mad person.

Incredible. Can't wait to watch it again!

DrRocka

Avengers Infinity War
Loads of interchangeable superheroes fight each other with their CGI superpowers over and over and you generally won't know or give a toss who's who or why you should care but then something happens in space and the bad guy's clearly the most interesting character but then everyone has to go to Africa and fight some more FOR NO REASON and the bad guy does stuff and the green girl's completely gorgeous and it all ends in a puff of anti- logic and you'll wonder why you bothered.

Better than Justice League though.
Never ever bloody anything ever

TordelBack

Because Wakanda is the most technologically advanced place on Earth, and that's where the goodies take the last Infinity Stone to try to separate it from their teammate and friend so they can destroy it without killing him? Also, everyone complains when superhero throwdowns always take place in big cities. This one doesn't.

Or it's a timely homage to Phantom Menace,  take your pick.

The green girl is truly gorgeous though.

Colin Zeal

I thought the trip to Wakanda in Infinity Wars was very clearly explained.

Rocky sequel Creed was on the telly earlier and I thought it was very good. I spent a long time trying to work out the gap between Apollo Creed dying in Rocky 4 and his son fighting in 2015 but eventually gave up.

Then I caught the start of Wanted and wondered why I had never seen it before. At that point I remembered that I think the comic was one of the worst comics I have ever read and a piece of 14 year old boy masturbatory wish fulfilment nonsense. I turned the film off because I knew i even if it was as good as the comic it would still be terrible.

DrRocka

To be fair, it was gone 2am when I watched Avengers, and I've not really been following all the Marvel movies, so I probably missed a few bits and bobs here and there.

Anyway Ghost Stories
Nice little British horror with more jumps than the Grand National. Wasn't keen on the ending, but hey, it was a little different. And once again, Paul Whitehouse proves himself to be one of our best actors, and should be immediately promoted to the status of National Treasure.
Never ever bloody anything ever

abelardsnazz

Ant-man and the Wasp is good fun, humour and action well combined. Stay for the mid-credits scene.

JamesC

Hawkmumbler

The Happiness of the Katakuris: Barmy mad Takashi Miike horror comedy about a family of innkeepers who's guests continually die in ludicrous accidents and rather than risk the wrath of the authorities bury the poor travellers themselves. They return as mischievous zombies and open the doors to hell, jinks ensue. Utterly insane but deliriously fun, undertones of Harold and Maude and Re-Animator with Miike's flair for the disturbing, a good ride.

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 13 August, 2018, 05:29:19 PM
The Happiness of the Katakuris: Utterly insane but deliriously fun

No film that begins with a claymation uvula theft could be anything less. All that, and it's a musical too, with some ridiculously catchy numbers. Love the dramatic little tune when they discover the first 'victim'.

abelardsnazz

The Meg. Knows exactly how daft it is and keeps a fairly even keel throughout. Sometimes you don't need to think, just enjoy, and this does the job.

Robin Low

I'm a few days late as usual, but never mind...

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 August, 2018, 04:27:30 PMDid anyone else wonder how the lab, the delicate equipment and the people inside survived all that mucking about?

Probably something to do with inertial dampeners.

Regards,

Robin

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 13 August, 2018, 05:29:19 PM
The Happiness of the Katakuris: Barmy mad Takashi Miike horror comedy about a family of innkeepers who's guests continually die in ludicrous accidents and rather than risk the wrath of the authorities bury the poor travellers themselves.

Do check out Quiet Family, the Korean original on which Katakuris is based. A great film in its own right and also very funny, though in a completely different way - really rich black humour rather than the 'wtf' belly laughs of Miike. It makes Katakuris even funnier in retrospect, when you know just how absurd and audacious the remake is!
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

Skyscraper: Borrowing the TipsTest(tm) here...'ahem' more like SkysCRAPER am I right?!

Yeah it's pretty bad, and too polished and somehow too self aware to be much fun either, a very poor riff on Towering Inferno and Die hard that somehow forgets what makes those movies entertaining.