Main Menu

Where the dust goes to gather - comics variant

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 July, 2011, 08:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 June, 2018, 09:50:47 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 12 June, 2018, 02:15:35 PM
That's for the video game consoles & monitor, IP- I've been forced to contain all items that have not been approved by Headquarters to one room.
I'm a bit jealous of those shelves. We have four Billy bookcases in our TV room, but they're a bit shit, and very much not ideal for trades. (A lot of my paperbacks are 'warped' because the shelves are too wide.)

What's bad about Billy?  Asking as somebody about to move and (when time and finances allow) stock up on shelving...

Dandontdare

Ikea's KALLAX units are pretty good - they come in various configurations, I've got two 4x4 units - they're a bit deep for GNs, but they allow you to use the space in front of the books for displaying tat ... or just gathering dust.

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 June, 2018, 02:49:16 PM
Ikea's KALLAX units are pretty good - they come in various configurations, I've got two 4x4 units - they're a bit deep for GNs, but they allow you to use the space in front of the books for displaying tat ... or just gathering dust.

I've got a paper tape measure with measurements scrawled on it from a visit a few weeks ago, but would Kallax be deep enough to 'double-row' the comics?  Classic 2000AD size, modern, or american comic size?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: sheridan on 13 June, 2018, 01:02:34 PMWhat's bad about Billy?
The actual units aren't bad, and they're very affordable. However, the backs are flimsy and so if you do buy some, get a ton of extra pins and nail the back into the shelves. If you don't, the back will bow when you push your books into it, and eventually come unstuck (as all ours have after years of abuse).

But in general, there's an issue of the shelves simply being quite wide. This means paperbacks have more support at the front (due to the wider spine) than the back and become prone to warping as they lean left or right. They can be flattened out again, and this of course isn't an issue with thicker tomes and hardbacks (or if you have a lot of hardbacks in the mix). Ideally, though, I'd prefer narrower shelves, more hardbacks in the mix and/or more dividers.

Note our Billy cases are the older model, though, and so the new ones might be a bit different. (I know they're not as deep now, for example.)

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 June, 2018, 05:57:05 PM
Are they bespoke shelves - they are lovely.

Yeah, got the builder to install them for me towards the end.
Very sturdy and very lovely. Bit of a step up from the IKEA plastic storage boxes I was using, never mind their shelves.

We got to that bit in a typical 'Building the Dream' episode where cash / overspend just became an insanity inducing joke, so I just thought- why not?

Quote from: sheridan on 13 June, 2018, 12:58:57 PM
What happens with the bit in the corner where the two racks of shelves meet?

That's where I've sealed off my screams.

Quote from: CalHab on 13 June, 2018, 01:02:28 PM
I take it that the cut-out at the back of the shelves is to run cables?

Bingo.

Dandontdare

Quote from: sheridan on 13 June, 2018, 02:53:33 PM

I've got a paper tape measure with measurements scrawled on it from a visit a few weeks ago, but would Kallax be deep enough to 'double-row' the comics?  Classic 2000AD size, modern, or american comic size?

each 'space' is a 38.5cm backless cube - narrow enough widthwise to prevent sagging but deep enough for double stacking of GNs or American comics - double-progs may just tip over that (but you'd never see the back row!).

They come with brackets to attach to the wall but if you've got skirting boards there'll be a gap - I didn't bother with the brackets but wedged them up slightly at the front - all the weight is on the back half anyway, so I've no worries about being crushed in a thrillalanche. I have a row of plastic mushroom punnets (non recyclable but can't  bring myself chuck them so I've got loads!) behind the books to push them forwards a bit.

I'll post some new pics when I've tidied up a bit - right now they're covered in dust, stuffed with random books on top of each row, and all available space in front is crammed with day-to-day crap ... but here's my post from when I got them and they were all clean and tidy.https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=33880.msg875148#msg875148. Weirdly, I can still see the photos even though I thought they'd have gone in Ye Greate Photobuckett Purge. Have broken links been restored? Can everyone else see them?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 June, 2018, 07:20:25 PM
Weirdly, I can still see the photos even though I thought they'd have gone in Ye Greate Photobuckett Purge. Have broken links been restored? Can everyone else see them?

Yep, visible for me. Think there's been a change of management recently and they've quietly rolled back most of the recent changes.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dandontdare

Great news - decades of lovingly curated visual bullshit and ephemera disappeared overnight, and Imgur takes forever to upload. I'm going to check some of those art comp threads that got ravaged!

Krakajac

I've posted images of my 2000AD collection before - and I'm another big fan of the KALLAX range - especially with regard to storing comics.  I've had BILLY bookshelves in the past - but they struggle with heavy items.  They're great for lighter items - such as displaying toys/collectibles.

I've got two 4 x 4 KALLAX cubes - so 32 shelves in total (plus the open bit on the top).  Luckily, I was only left with 5cm either side of the shelves, which I plugged with a few layers of foam.

The KALLAX range also come in 2 x 2, 1 x 4 and 2 x 4 configurations (last time I looked).  Plus extra shelves, doors, etc.

I've had them for 3 years now - and they haven't moved, warped or changed in any way.  I've currently got 150 progs on each shelf, with plenty of room for the future.  Can't recommend them enough.

FYI, my progs are positioned flush with the back edge of each shelf...

sheridan

Turns out that Ikea don't deliver to my postcode (even though they deliver to us, and they're only about four miles away).  We ended up going to B&Q and discovering their Konnect range, which looks rather similar.  First batch of four cubes constructed as proof of concept.  Turns out Argos also has a rather similar range - no sure how all of the dimensons match up, but I'm hoping that the accessories are compatible (plastic boxes, etc).

IndigoPrime

Extra geek points to Krakajac for the old Commodore computer.

Proudhuff

Right everyone who's said they were going top post pics get on with it!

yes I'm look at YOU!
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 August, 2018, 12:00:57 PM
Right everyone who's said they were going top post pics get on with it!

yes I'm look at YOU!

I haven't said I was going to post pictures, but I'll begin to think about considering it.

Proudhuff

That's the spirit, do you want to become the Jocks social organiser?  :lol: :lol:
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 August, 2018, 02:23:04 PM
That's the spirit, do you want to become the Jocks social organiser?  :lol: :lol:

The mere thought hadn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind. ;-)