Main Menu

MEG 320 - AVIEW TO A KILL!

Started by Buttonman, 28 January, 2012, 12:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Cactus on 31 January, 2012, 01:09:30 AM
Maybe his bionic eyes were playing up that night.
He didn't have bionic eyes then.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

More to the point, How did Strange and Darke land that enormous chopper right outside the Pub and the Ladylady didn't hear it?
DDT did a job on me

Colin MacNeil

Quote from: Proudhuff on 31 January, 2012, 12:33:20 PM
More to the point, How did Strange and Darke land that enormous chopper right outside the Pub and the Ladylady didn't hear it?

Who says flying hooferdoofers make a noise when landing? It is sci-fi after all. ;)

vzzbux

Ref the SD Floppy:

Durham Red: Ring my bell. In the hall of mirrors every image different, no cut and past (I know it didn't exist then). This for me is very lacking in the modern era. I know it is labour saving but sometimes it can be over used.
I am not a professional artist (or amature for that matter) and dont pretend to be but how may artists in this modern day can say that they would have done that panel at the top of page 3 without digital skullduggery, maybe including the great Ezquerra.
Please no pitchforks as it is just an observation.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Cactus

Quote from: The Cosh on 31 January, 2012, 02:22:30 AM

I noo yoo'd say dat!

Timey-wimey stuff?
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Cactus on 01 February, 2012, 01:29:16 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 31 January, 2012, 02:22:30 AM

I noo yoo'd say dat!

Don't forget that present Dredd's also only just recovered from an operation to the larynx that left him unable to speak for a few weeks, so it's not a given that his voice is back to its usual self.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Sherman Kid

I'm afraid Mr Carroll if off my Xmas card list.He took a potentially great character (my namesake) put him in a very shallow plot (which had a lot of holes in it), didn't develop him one iota, had him monologuing when he has the upper hand (like that really funny scene in the Incredibles), then promptly kills him off.Awful and so so lazy.

Not pleased  :(

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 01 February, 2012, 06:11:42 PM
...a very shallow plot (which had a lot of holes in it)

What, like the original story? 'I'm bored of being a buisness tycoon - I think I'll be King of Mega-City One. I have six nukes (never mind how) and I've hideen them all over the city (never mind how)...' Bleurgh.

I'm afraid Mr Carroll if off my Xmas card list.He took a potentially great character...

...who reached his potential when Wagner renamed him P J Maybe and did the basic plot a second time with infinitely more subtletly, maturity and complexity. And also, to a lesser extent, in the story arc of Ralphy Bryne. Face it, the Albert Sherman story was just a little silly, and once PJ came along, what was the use of revisiting it?
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Pure coincidence that Mr Carroll is a member of this parish, I'm sure.   ;)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 February, 2012, 06:44:26 PM
Face it, the Albert Sherman story was just a little silly, and once PJ came along, what was the use of revisiting it?

Which is not to imply that this story was not worth doing, more that I can't understand why anyone would so desperately want the original back in any serious way.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Sherman Kid

The first Sherman story was indeed a simple plot ,written in the ealy years of Dredd, but still entertaining nonetheless and with some novel ideas for time.Second time around it missed the mark.

Sherman being a judge would have been a more unique adversary to anthing previous (including PJ and any other rogue judge) with lots of scope for an intriging backstory.The potential was there even if you dont see it.An opportunity missed sadly.

Moving along now..............................

Mike Carroll

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 01 February, 2012, 08:36:09 PM
... kills him off.

Where does it say he's dead?

-- Mike

Wha.....??? You mean he's either in a coma or he's paralysed!?!

Anyway, that was one of the best Dredd stories I've ever read (alongside Beat the Devil, Meet the Umbersons, Monkey on my Back, Choose your own Xmas and the current Dredd arc!!!).
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 01 February, 2012, 08:36:09 PM
... kills him off.

Where does it say he's dead?

-- Mike

Oooooooooooohhhhhh.I stand corrected.Soooooo Mr Carroll, erhem Mike, what do you want for Xmas, slippers or aftershave? :D

Proudhuff

These short, fun stories are a great balance to the epic currently running in the Prog, more power to yer elbow Mr C.
DDT did a job on me