Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Mudcrab on 01 June, 2012, 05:50:16 PM
Heh, Slayer have still got it, although they did redo one song that they fucked up  :lol: No Jeff Hanneman, replaced by Gary Holt from Exodus, so that was awesome! Will see 2 others (Anthrax, Megadeth) of "the big 4" next week too, 3 if we can grab cheap tickets for the Saturday. Metallica doing the Black album, which I find hard to get excited about. Not that I'm excited about Anthrax or Megadeth, beyond I am the Law  :D

Most big 1980's metal acts - Maiden, Metallica, Motley Crue (can't speak for the thrash bands, was never into thrash myself, with few exceptions, like the fantastic Annihilator debut album, Alice In Hell, from 1989, one of the greatest speed/thrash albums ever made, I'm not kidding!) - have become little more than cabaret acts of late, touring old sets and playing old albums in their entirety as little more than a nostalgic exercise, which is fine it that's yer thing, but I miss the days when they were actually working bands touring new albums that stretched their boundaries and progressed on what had gone before... or maybe I'm just getting old ::)...

If you want something to get excited about, check out the mighty Monster Magnet at their very best - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dscfeQOMuGw - their three major-label albums (1994's Dopes To Infinity, 1998's Powertrip, and 2000's God Says No) were the height of awesomeness, why that band were never massive, I'll never know... especially after Space Lord, one of the most rousing rock n' roll numbers of the last two decades, just my opinion though...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Beaky Smoochies

Or, just while I'm on the subject of great metal acts, the mighty Danzig - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WV6o7-KX_M - one hell of a band on any day of the week, kinda lost it after 1994's Danzig 4 opus (undoubtedly their best and most accomplshed work), but were one awesome band whilst they still had their classic line-up, ah, the memories...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Frank

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 02 June, 2012, 04:11:19 AM
Quote from: Mudcrab on 01 June, 2012, 05:50:16 PM
Heh, Slayer have still got it ... Will see 2 others (Anthrax, Megadeth) of "the big 4" next week too ... Metallica doing the Black album, which I find hard to get excited about

Most big 1980's metal acts - Maiden, Metallica, Motley Crue ... have become little more than cabaret acts of late, touring old sets and playing old albums in their entirety as little more than a nostalgic exercise

The energy of metal just dissipated and moved on, didn't it? You can find plenty examples of extreme music, that reflects the spirit of what metal was doing, elsewhere (Skrillex, Gravediggaz, Brides Make Acid), but most metal acts seem content to keep working the same aesthetic and formula for the same fans till Ragnarök comes and topples their stacks of Marshal amps and, yay, frays their denim but utterly.

Modern acts who want to stick it to the man, talk about death and violence, or just make a glorious fucking racket don't necessarily want to wear the same trousers and hair as Zeppelin or play wanky guitar solos.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 02 June, 2012, 04:21:22 AM
Or, just while I'm on the subject of great metal acts, the mighty Danzig - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WV6o7-KX_M - one hell of a band on any day of the week, kinda lost it after 1994's Danzig 4 opus (undoubtedly their best and most accomplshed work), but were one awesome band whilst they still had their classic line-up, ah, the memories...

I have to ask -the devil having the best tunes an' all- surely you lose brownie points with the big man upstairs by listening to someone like Danzig "who feels a connection to Satan".

Or is it strictly Stryper for you these days?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: bikini kill on 01 June, 2012, 05:20:39 PM
I remember thinking Slayer should have split before they all got fat and bald; now I hope they keep touring until Kerry King has to have a colostomy bag  incorporated into his stage wear.

made of leather and with spikes of course.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JOE SOAP

You have to become a man some day Boypleton.

Aonghus

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 01 June, 2012, 06:43:16 AM
Quote from: Aonghus on 31 May, 2012, 11:38:01 PM

Got Tom Waits' Blue Valentine for a fiver today; dead pleased!

Now there's something about that record on vinyl that is just so right. Best of his Asylum albums.

Hell yes! Swordfishtrombones is next on my list I think, for a bit of a style change...

Colin YNWA

The whole post Asylum 'trilogy' (Swordfshtrombone, Frankie's Wild Years and Rain Dogs) are pure gold. Swordfishtrombone is Tom Waits' Rubber Soul.

Roger Godpleton

I like the older albums where he doesn't sing in that stupid voice.

Colin YNWA

Well I'm biase, aside from 'Real Gone' I'd happily argue that he's never done an album that was anything short of magnificent from Swordfishtrombone on.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 June, 2012, 11:55:54 AM
I have to ask -the devil having the best tunes an' all- surely you lose brownie points with the big man upstairs by listening to someone like Danzig "who feels a connection to Satan". Or is it strictly Stryper for you these days?

You're such a cunt, Soap.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 June, 2012, 11:59:17 AM
Quote from: bikini kill on 01 June, 2012, 05:20:39 PM
I remember thinking Slayer should have split before they all got fat and bald; now I hope they keep touring until Kerry King has to have a colostomy bag  incorporated into his stage wear.
made of leather and with spikes of course.

I actually typed then deleted that exact phrase from my original post. What is the nature and extent of your powers?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: bikini kill on 02 June, 2012, 06:09:51 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 June, 2012, 11:55:54 AM
I have to ask -the devil having the best tunes an' all- surely you lose brownie points with the big man upstairs by listening to someone like Danzig "who feels a connection to Satan". Or is it strictly Stryper for you these days?

You're such a cunt, Soap.

I didn't know you were a Stryper fan.

Roger Godpleton

JOE SOAP

You only wish to watch, you chair-bound homunculus.