Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Lenny_Zero on 11 February, 2013, 07:10:19 PM
I'm too old for that commercial pop music.

It's a well known fact that the music you loved when you were a teenager will dictate the music you'll love for the rest of your life. The pop industry knows this, and therefore loses all interest in you when you get to your early twenties.
You may quote me on that.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: El Pops on 11 February, 2013, 08:04:40 PM
Quote from: Lenny_Zero on 11 February, 2013, 07:10:19 PM
I'm too old for that commercial pop music.

It's a well known fact that the music you loved when you were a teenager will dictate the music you'll love for the rest of your life. The pop industry knows this, and therefore loses all interest in you when you get to your early twenties.

Unless you're into Iron Maiden, in which case you're marketed to all of your life.  ;)

I, Cosh

Went to see Dan Deacon on Monday night, who was described by my mate before the gig as "the day-glo techno saviour of Baltimore." I can't remember the last time I had so much fun at a gig. Probably the last time The Go! Team toured. Can't remember ever seeing an electronic act with any stage patter either and he was cracking away like Julian Cope in his prime. A bunch of potentially cheesy audience participation / dance sections followed all swept along by the genuine enthusiasm of the young crowd (and me.) Marvellous stuff.

Anyway, me and a few mates generally compile a top ten of the previous year sometime in February or March! Here's my effort for 2012.
We never really die.

Lenny_Zero

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 11 February, 2013, 09:32:57 PM

Unless you're into Iron Maiden, in which case you're marketed to all of your life.  ;)

I had no idea Maiden was still cranking out music.  I'll dust off my KILLERS shirt and wear it in their honor tomorrow.
America is an irradiated wasteland.

Zarjazzer

Everything but the girl-Eden, Eddi Reader Patience of Angels as well and bluesman Grady Champion's christmas song of all things! :o
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Lenny_Zero on 15 February, 2013, 04:25:23 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 11 February, 2013, 09:32:57 PM

I had no idea Maiden was still cranking out music.  I'll dust off my KILLERS shirt and wear it in their honor tomorrow.

Good man!  Yeah, they're still putting out music, and occasionally trying to be innovative too. They'll never be as good as Killers or Powerslave again, but a whole new generation of kids are into them these days, which is great.

Frank

The artists credited on Wild For The Night are A$AP Rocky, Skrillex and Birdy Nam Nam, but it appears to feature an uncredited cameo by Fat Harry White. The lyricist on this must hate [spoiler]niggers[/spoiler] as much as Tarantino does.

judda fett

I've been rinsing this lately, 'kin love it-

AC Marias- One Of Our Girls Has Gone Missing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Iu7HdFg6I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Graham Pearce

I cant stop listening to the WRECK-IT RALPH soundtrack at the moment. Some brilliant homages to 8-bit Arcade games, 16-bit Console and modern day Shoot-em ups!!!  Swear there are even a few musical nods to SKYFALL, DARK KNIGHT and ET in there as well!
Twitter: @mrgrahampearce
www.sgtmikebattle.co.uk

Basilisk

For whatever reason i can's stop to hear the Gangnam Style. :lol:

And another, semi-obscure hit from the late 90s, "What do you want from me", by Monaco. It's been decades literally w/out hearing even a note.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

von Boom

Queen - Somebody To Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pMM4iwC-ag

Every time I listen to Queen I can't get over Freddie Mercury's voice. It's just brilliant. I always hate when someone covers Queen, it never sounds right to me.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: von Boom on 01 March, 2013, 02:17:42 PM
I always hate when someone covers Queen, it never sounds right to me.

What you mean like 'Queen' these days!

The first 6 Queen records are just brilliant (some after aren't bad too) and I don't care how much that goes against my Indie rock perspective.

von Boom

True enough Colin. To me Queen includes Freddie, everything else is Queen-ish.

Spikes

Quote from: von Boom on 01 March, 2013, 02:17:42 PM
Queen - Somebody To Love.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pMM4iwC-ag

Did this song getting played on Radio 2 earlier today prompt this post?
I certainly cranked it up, when it came on. Top tune.