Main Menu

Mad Max - Fury Road

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 June, 2012, 06:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Mad Max and... Furiosa.  I see. 

This IDW Dark Judges thing was ahead of its time.

ming

Rough-cut screenings have been very positive... A large chunk of one pasted below.

http://aftimes.com/2014/05/randy-does-not-review-mad-max-fury-road-advanced-screening/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"What is Mad Max Fury Road?

It isn't NOT the first Mad Max.

It isn't NOT the MM-Beyond Thunderdome.

It is not the movie that 1985 Randy walking out of a movie theater in Plymouth, MA, having been only slightly sated after waiting so long for sequel.
This IS the kind of Mad Max II/The Road Warrior on steroids, go-big-or-go-home, bug-nuts crazy, toss-you-in-the-deep-end mythology and put-it-all-out-there-in-case-we-never-make-another-one Mad Max Fury Road.

In fairness & full disclosure, I am very much, in case you've never read my column before, a HUGE Mad Max fan. I go so far as to say that director George Miller is one of the six directors that made me want to make movies... and that was The Road Warrior. I have forgotten how many times I've seen it.

I CANNOT WAIT!

So now ya know.

This movie feels like thirty years of Miller holding in passion for a world that he built so long ago, exploding on the screen.  You, remember the third act of The Road Warrior, the bad-ass truck chase that is still hailed as a masterpiece of filmmaking?

You do? Good.

Because that's what this whole movie pretty much is-and it works! A chase that goes long and deep into the heart of Miller's post-apocalyptic world, trying to get out of the Wasteland.  It opens up and hardly slows down.

You want groovy cars? By the car-carrier load!
You want auto combat? Parts strewn for miles!
You want practical f/x and stunts? I wonder how many on the stunt team died making this madness?!

Its beginning feels like part Miller's burning passion bursting forth after so long and part a gift to those who've waited so patiently for a "real" Mad Max movie. You could watch only the first act as a die-hard fan and you feel like the wait has been worth it."

Really, really looking forward to seeing this.

blackmocco

So pissed off I didn't know about, and try to get into, this. Just up the fucking (fury) road. However, I'm going to voice a theory that screening this almost a year out from its release means there may be more tweaks (possibly even more reshoots) to it. I've a feeling they may be trying to figure out what they've got. Can't wait though.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Goaty

Colin YNWA

Well no denying that looks very good and very in keeping with... well certainly the second two.

JamesC

Tiplodocus

The wild boys are calling
On their way back from the fire
In august moon's surrender to
A dust cloud on the rise
Wild boys fallen far from glory
Reckless and so hungered
On the razors edge you trail
Because there's murder by the roadside
In a sore afraid new world

They tried to break us,
Looks like they'll try again

Wild boys never lose it
Wild boys never chose this way
Wild boys never close your eyes
Wild boys always shine

(I see this as a good thing BTW)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

I have high hopes for this one. The images look good, but we won't know until we see it. I'm still hoping for a cameo by Bruce Spence.

Professor Bear

I keep flip-flopping on this: on one hand it looks great, but on the other, big-budget doesn't usually go too well with post-apocalyptia and it's the trashy, low-rent stuff that tends to stick in the memory.
Still going to see it, obviously.

ThryllSeekyr

Goaty

radiator

Confession: I've never seen any of the Mad Max films.

Goaty

Quote from: radiator on 26 June, 2014, 04:31:17 PM

Let this opening of Mad Max 2: Road Warrior help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP-AbRTYNhI

blackmocco

You only need to see MM2. Go rectify that immediately. That movie changed my thirteen year old life in ways I couldn't even begin to explain. (Brendan McCarthy's too. He co-wrote and designed a huge chunk of this new one back in the early 00's.)

First one's pretty dated - although that's part of the appeal for me - and Thunderdome's a bit choppy. Starts well, ends well but there's a lot of stuff in the middle where it just goes off the road and can't decide what kind of tone to take.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

blackmocco

Quote from: Goaty on 26 June, 2014, 04:37:02 PM
Quote from: radiator on 26 June, 2014, 04:31:17 PM

Let this opening of Mad Max 2: Road Warrior help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP-AbRTYNhI

Goaty, even in that tiny snippet of car carnage there's a great character moment that elevates the movie: When Max turns off the engine's booster, the dog gets bored and goes to lie down. I love that scene. Well, fuck it - I love this movie. I don't think I've ever watched another movie as much as this one in my 43 years of existence.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com