Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

sorry, that was the second, I meant another series  :-[
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

weirdly, the first 2 seasons of Rick'n'Morty seems to have now reappeared on Netflix - guess they must have paid those overdue royalties!

Mattofthespurs

Late to the party (as usual) but thoroughly enjoying Mindhunter

I read the book it was based on in the 90's (and still have it somewhere) but this is a class TV series. As you would expect when David Fincher is involved.

Mardroid

Recently finished Lost in Space series. It was pretty good!

Also watched the first episodes of The Man in the High Castle, series 3 and I'm enjoying that a lot.

Theblazeuk

Haunting of Hill House on Netflix is rather good. Was very skeptical but by jove, it's got its fair share of creepy bits and tells its story in an interesting manner.

Steve Green

Working my way through 60 odd episodes of the BBC episodes of the Goodies.

The early stuff is a bit hit and miss, but fascinating from a historical perspective, even when it gets a bit uncomfortable.

What stood out is how regularly things pop up that remind me of other stuff.

There's the music master's organ/artillery combo, similar to the Pandemonium in Nemesis, the Mirth Police in Goodies Rule OK, destroying anything that might give pleasure *waves at Judge Cal*, even the impersonating puppets is very Shaun of the Dead.

I jumped ahead a few years to Goodies Rule OK - (The one with the giant Dougal) I've no idea what the budget was but with the props and miniatures, or it being kept in-house at the BBC, it's pretty astonishing to see that spent on a comedy programme.

With it being a 70s programme there's also pretty much a Rolf Harris mention/appearance every other episode... even back to back Cyril Smith and Stuart Hall... plus doses of Savile.

The Legendary Shark

I think The Goodies is rather under-appreciated. Just watched the one about the lighthouse recently and enjoyed it. To me, it's almost on a par with Monty Python for most of the time and occasionally even superior.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steve Green

There are some great gags in there, especially from Graeme Garden.

Some of the early stuff seems to drift off towards the end in particular, but yeah I'd say under-rated.

It's weird that it gets labelled as kid's stuff - was shown about 7:30pm, but a lot of the jokes aimed at adults in the same way 40s Warner Bros cartoons might have been.

Greg M.

I've been making my way through The Goodies collection too, though not chronologically - just dipping in at random points. Recent highlight was the Pythonesque 'Pollution' from Series 2 - positively post-apocalyptic at times, with some images that, given a different spin, could have been nightmarish. Graeme with his glasses shattered after Concorde flies overhead is like something from Threads.

The Legendary Shark

I seem to remember John Cleese making a guest appearance as a genie and shouting "kids' show!" before being banished back into his lamp. Whereas Python was more "adult" (or possibly cerebral), The Goodies seemed to have a wider appeal, much like The Simpsons I think.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Greg M.

It's definitely a lot broader than Python, though The Goodies can have a sharp satirical edge at times - check out the spectacularly near-the-knuckle 'South Africa'. Like Python, it can be quite hit-and-miss, but it's probably more ambitious – what Cleese and co. achieve via Terry Gilliam animation inserts, The Goodies do as a massive-scale live-action set-pieces. (The bit where they deal with the animated JCBs in 'The New Office' is a great example.) It's an insanely visually inventive show, and it doesn't always come off, but when it does, it produces unforgettable images, like a cartoon come to life.

Steve Green

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 October, 2018, 10:27:47 AM

I seem to remember John Cleese making a guest appearance as a genie and shouting "kids' show!" before being banished back into his lamp. Whereas Python was more "adult" (or possibly cerebral), The Goodies seemed to have a wider appeal, much like The Simpsons I think.

Yeah, that was in the Goodies and the Beanstalk - the Simpsons isn't a bad example, especially where the initial setup takes a real detour.

wedgeski

On Netflix recently we've caught up on:

* Luke Cage S2 - Bored us to tears, yet to finish. I like slow burners with things to say, but this is just weak.
* Iron Fist S2 - Very good indeed with an amazing final episode season 3 set-up -- only for the series to then be canceled. :(
* Altered Carbon - Muscly future noir. A bit nasty in places. The writers sure strip-mined the 'sleeve' concept, so not sure what's left for season 2 to explore. Overall, very good.
* Glow - Finally got around to watching both seasons, really enjoyable with a great ensemble.
* Designated Survivor - We used this as background noise for a couple of weeks. Absolute pap, and at that level only because of Kiefer Sutherland's understated performance.

Looking forward to bingeing the new Daredevil this weekend!

Dandontdare

what? No Iron Fist 3? Well, that's a bummer. Daredevil gets a new season and he's [spoiler] supposed to be dead![/spoiler] Of the 4 interlinked series, I liked DD the least, he's such a mopey character. Luke cage 2 wasn't as good as the first but I still enjoyed it - being very used to Moss Side patios, American Jamaicans sound weird!

Mardroid

I looked 'rassclaat' up on the internet, and the meaning is very rude.