Main Menu

yoincks! followed closely by bah!

Started by judgefloyd, 20 April, 2013, 11:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgefloyd

(with apologies to all the 'life is', threads..I think there's room for one more.  Sometimes life is terrific and also sucks in the same moment.  In the spirit of Viz (who took it from the Beano etc), what moments made you say yoincks! and then bah! in almost the same breath?

For me, it's been:

-realising my long held dream of teaching philosophy in a high school, only to find they don't want to pay me for it

- getting my ancient asus eeepc 701 working again with ubuntu,then finding I'm typing on  part of  the smallest screen ever known to man

as Krusty used to say...well?

darnmarr

Meeting the man-of-your-dreams, and then meeting his beautiful wife*

*This may have been Alanis Morrisette: who wrote a whole song about Yoinks!..Bah!

judgefloyd

that Alanis Morisette,she's always getting there first.  I don't know much about her, but I like the idea of her doing a song called 'yoincks! Bah!'

smilersaltash

or that she stole Stinky Britches from Chef

johnnystress

I finally got the giant Frankenstein's monster by Jack Davis poster that I've been coveting since I was a kid...and it's too big for my house

It'll have to stay tubed until I build my fortress of solitude

darnmarr

YOINKS!
I got an original actual full-size cinema poster of a Brando/Yul Brynner film* from 1965,- for next-to-nowt (less than a tenner) on Ebay,

:D
...it will need a custom-made frame though, which I've priced and which is going to cost about 10 times what I paid for the poster.
:'(
BAH!

*'Morituri' the title was changed to 'code-name SABOTEUR' and my poster even has a 'code name saboteur' sticker pasted over the original title !

The Doctor Alt 8

Winning a TV contest... Only to have the entire broadcast network go into receivership 3 days afterwards so the production company didn't give me my prize.... ( not that it even had any monetary value... In fact it would have taken an visual effects guy about half an hours work on a computer) But it is the principal of the thing. Plus the fact that I think I may have been invited to the studio for a tour... They might have even arranged me to meet the then current Doctor...

JayzusB.Christ

I'm going the opposite way round, if that's ok.

BAH! - missing a day of work in China because of floods, and not being paid for it.
YOINKS! - realising that this was the day my workplace was raided by police hunting for illegal foreign workers (which I was), and avoiding possible Chinese prison and definite deportation.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Wow! Look after yourself, jayzuz; apparently the Chinese authorities only let Ai Weiwei out of jail because they were desperate to negotiate a new trade agreement with the Germans - I'm not sure The Emerald Isle would be able to apply the same economic or diplomatic weight on your behalf. Here's a link you probably wont be able to follow, or will lead the secret police directly to your place of refuge:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/8693717/Ai-Weiwei-was-subject-to-immense-psychological-pressure-in-Chinese-jail.html

JayzusB.Christ

Holy shite! Anyway that was last summer; I'm safely at home in Ireland now where the crafty Sinos can't catch me.     OR CAN THEY?*

*Probably not.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

judgefloyd

Look at it from the Crafty Sinos point of view:

<Bah! An illegal foreigner has somehow evaded our inescapable web of justice.

Yoincks! That's one less thing to worry about and leaves us time to run the world's most populous country and watch the Dredd 3D movie on bootleg dvds>

Proudhuff

YOINKS!

Childhood

BAH!

teenage and beyond...

DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: judgefloyd on 22 April, 2013, 12:51:53 PM
Look at it from the Crafty Sinos point of view:

<Bah! An illegal foreigner has somehow evaded our inescapable web of justice.

Yoincks! That's one less thing to worry about and leaves us time to run the world's most populous country and watch the Dredd 3D movie on bootleg dvds>

Fair point.  And another one from the Sino-Cit Justice Dept, unrelated to me:
'Yoinks!  We've got lots of money!
Bah!  Now we have a middle class who have the free time to realise they don't particularly like us!'

Anyway, enough with my derailing of the thread.  Get back to your Yoinks/Bahs, people

judgefloyd

I teach the children of that middle class and it's very true, Jayzus.  None of them are into the Chinese govt or communism.  They don't seem to be into the nationalism like some Chinese students I had about six years ago.

Anyway, all I've got now is:

Yoincks!  New house!

Bah: Possums in the roof

followed by: Yoincks! Possum cage and a call to Peter the Possum Man has fixed that
                  Bah! There's 500 bucks I won't see again

Sideshow Bob

Yoinks :  ' this is absolutely bloody brilliant  :D!! '....zooming along beside my mate, while snowboarding down a mountain in Les Menuires France....
Bahh :  Caught front edge of board on an ice patch and flung straight forward and dislocated shoulder  :'( ....Taken down mountain side in agony after about 40 minutes,  on emergency sledge !! ....

Yoinks : Doctor gives pain killers and resets shoulder....Brilliant   :D!!.
Bahh : That'll be Euros 300 for emergency sledge 'trip' and another 175 Euros for doctor treatment......and no more boarding for rest of Holiday  :'(..
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890