Main Menu

What happened to the wiki?

Started by sheridan, 03 May, 2013, 04:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

I stumbled across the wikia 2000ad wiki and, seeing that it was rather scanty, added a few pages relating to this week's releases (from Rebelliion and IDW) - just stubs.  It was only after I'd done this that I discovered there seems to have been an abortive attempt at a wiki on 2000adonline, none of which is available (unless you're a beta tester?)  What happened to this?  I'd much rather work on a wiki that is built on data migrated from the 2000ad database than have to start from scratch...

James Stacey

It launches this week. It has said that for several years though.

The Wiki was my little project a few years back (working on it as and when I had a moment to) but due to various other projects my ability to find time to work on the wiki diminished to the point that it was left to gather dust.  :(

I currently have a few large projects on the go that require most of not all of my time but as they begin to mature the workload should ease up, *hopefully* allowing a little time for me to work on other projects like this.

Personally I would love to get the wiki to beta stage and open it up to forum members but there is still a lot of work thats needed, especially now its a few years out of date in both code and content.

Morbus Iff

Last I knew, the thing that killed the wiki was both lack of time, and the apparent lack of legality concerns up front, as noted in http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,28096.0.html. I had access to it once, no idea why I was stripped of the access.

Trout

The Adventurer

I really don't understand why it can't just be opened up to the forum public for editing. I'd give it about a week before it was completely full of every obscure fact a wiki needs.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

There is a fair bit of custom code in it that hasn't been completed yet which will need to be finished before the wiki is useable.

sheridan

Well, I've carried on adding to the wikia wiki, ten progs down, 1834 to go...

Proudhuff

'This week sees the launch of the exciting beta release of the brand new 2000 AD wiki database – an online repository of 35 years of thrill-power, editable by fans themselves! Specially selected site users will be able to give the wiki a test run before it is opened up to the wider online community within the next month!'
:D
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

how many years that that "this week" message been there now?

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

IronGraham

are there any good fan made wiki's I know we have barney wondering if anything else
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 September, 2013, 01:08:33 PM
how many years that that "this week" message been there now?

Perhaps a Betelgeusian week is several Earth years long.

sheridan

Quote from: IronGraham on 31 October, 2013, 08:10:03 PM
are there any good fan made wiki's I know we have barney wondering if anything else
I've been working on the 2000AD wikia ( http://2000ad.wikia.com ), mostly just updating it with my weekly progs (though that got put on hold during November when I was NaNoWriMoing, and I haven't quite got back up to speed yet).
p.s. it has a long way to go...

CrazyFoxMachine

That's not a bad looking wiki - could do with thickening up though. I've got a massive archive of sorts if you want any data although frankly Barney has all that covered :P Could be great for filling in more detailed world/appearance specific information and for some good comprehensive creator entries....

hmmmmmmmmm but where to start.