Main Menu

CBR Forums Purge

Started by TordelBack, 01 May, 2014, 01:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

CBR earning a great deal of respect from me both for this move, and for the tone of the apology:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52513

Good job everyone here is a fine upstanding citizen, eh?

Goaty

I never use that CBR forums, but after reading on the link, oh brave move, can't believe on some people even trolls.

Grant Goggans

Yes, Jonah gets massive points from me for this move.  Great work housecleaning.

Molch-R

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 May, 2014, 01:00:35 PM
Good job everyone here is a fine upstanding citizen, eh?

/Walks past in the background, whistling innocently...

Frank

I had a conversation with There Is No Such Character As Dredd And Calling The Movie That Is Disrespectful yesterday, which made it clear he softly walks these halls still. If Richmond didn't carry such a big stick this place would be far more interesting.

Colin YNWA

Yeah I read about this this morning and reflected on the fact that while its a brave move and I have respect for them from doing it its such a weird thing to have to do! I mean I get the empowerment some people find from internet anonymity, but I know I've all but had to ignore the forums over there as they are so full of nonsense... which is rich coming from me...ahem... makes me very happy that our quiet little corner of the internet is such a decent place, even compared to what I hear happens on to 2000ad Facebook page from time to time.

I know Richmond and some of the other mods and even some of the veteran posters catch some flak from time to time for coming down on stuff but christ alive it keeps this place a decent place to be. So well done to them and well done to Jonah for trying to do the same thing over at his far bigger neck of the woods. Good luck to um and I hope to visit soon and maybe try to create a good ol' 2000ad piece of pasture now it'll be a better place?

mogzilla

Quote from: sauchie on 01 May, 2014, 04:38:13 PM

I had a conversation with There Is No Such Character As Dredd And Calling The Movie That Is Disrespectful yesterday, which made it clear he softly walks these halls still. If Richmond didn't carry such a big stick this place would be far more interesting.

he looks well in that  link,has he had some work done? is he pre or post op? ;) ;)
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Frank

Quote from: mogzilla on 01 May, 2014, 04:45:27 PM
has he had some work done? is he pre or post op?

You having a pop at the trangendered and the body-dismorphic, Mr Clarkson? Another one looking to book an appointment with Judge Mugabe in Room 9 here, Rich. Take him away!

Recrewt

I've not been on the cbr forum much but when I have, everyone seemed quite nice and friendly so I am surprised to see how bad it got for them.  It's the right thing to do though and unfortunately people will just spout vile nonsense on the internet if left unchecked. 

The only good places are those that keep on top of things and its due to the mods and some forum members on here cutting short anything that could escalate, that this place is so nice/friendly.   

Goaty

Oh is it the time for 2000AD Forum purge?

Professor Bear

I'm curious if any fellow boarders frequent the 2000ad-related threads and sub-forums over on CBR?

Quote from: Recrewt on 01 May, 2014, 05:03:05 PM
I've not been on the cbr forum much but when I have, everyone seemed quite nice and friendly so I am surprised to see how bad it got for them.

With such a large user base, a fruitcake contingent was inevitable and your experience of the forum largely depended upon the conversation being had - if you were discussing indy books or a niche interest within comics, chances are you'd be doing so with like-minded fans, but some topics tended to be a lightning rod for arseholes.  There was one thread that asked if people would be okay with Marvel producing a "beefcake title" to compliment it's women-centric books and eye-candy artwork, and within two pages a discussion about the male form had degenerated into discussion of homosexuality and pedophiles, because naturally looking at pictures of dudes with their shirts off is exactly the same thing as molesting children.

I understand why this was done - props to CBR for taking this step.

JamesC

I used to hang out on the CBR forums years ago (prob around 2001) and it was a very weird place.

I can remember starting a joke thread on the Comic Book Rumbles board that was something along the lines of "Could The Flash catch Benny Hill if he'd goosed his girlfriend". This was treated as being disrespectful to DC Comics.

A friend had an online persona where he spoke in the third person like Doctor Doom and he got told off for not citing the influence of some old Sci Fi author who apparently 'invented' this type of dramatic speech.

Like I said, weird.

TordelBack

Quote from: mogzilla on 01 May, 2014, 04:45:27 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 01 May, 2014, 04:38:13 PM

he looks well in that  link,has he had some work done? is he pre or post op? ;) ;)

Hair plugs have come a long way.

Steve Green

I don't really frequent other comics forums - I occasionally browse through Bleeding Cool when something blows up, like the Zenith reprint.

I very rarely post - I have done on the IMDB forum, but that has its own share of interesting people.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 01 May, 2014, 07:55:44 PM
I don't really frequent other comics forums - I very rarely post  ... I have done on the IMDB forum, but that has its own share of interesting people.

Stunted freaks, the lot of them.