Main Menu

New Bolland Megazine Cover

Started by JOE SOAP, 14 May, 2014, 08:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sauchie on 14 May, 2014, 10:18:23 PM
Quote from: Art on 14 May, 2014, 10:08:44 PM
Nice to see Walter, when was he last in the Prog or Meg?

I last saw him drinking in the Quite Nice bar with Mrs Gunderson, but I missed most of the noughties - he might have had a grim and gritty reboot as a serial killing virus for all I know.

Only had a few appearances since then, Sauchie, and all with Mrs G - first in the audience of a 'Blind Date'-style tri-D show where one of the contestants was the latest hapless actor in Mrs G's Apartment of Horrors - so you can imagine how that went (Meg 203, 2003). Then a single-panel cameo in Fifty Year Man, (prog 1536, 2007), before he and Mrs Gunderson blundered into the middle of trouble at The Midnite Bar in the Megazine's 20th anniversary issue (302, 2010).

All in all, a fairly quiet fifteen years. Still, he's only got another ten years of parole to go and he's a free droid!
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 15 May, 2014, 01:14:18 PM
Since none of the other (shite) suggestions are 'ladies' with long blonde hair and prominent bosoms, and none of them have ever been depicted wearing a red dress, I declare myself to have won the internet.

It's a fair cop.

Andrew_J

Quote from: sauchie on 15 May, 2014, 01:14:18 PM
Since none of the other (shite) suggestions are 'ladies' with long blonde hair and prominent bosoms, and none of them have ever been depicted wearing a red dress, I declare myself to have won the internet.

All she needs is an Adam's Apple an you are home and dry.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 May, 2014, 08:38:55 AM
I'm going to be a dissenting voice and say I prefer the Weston incarnations.  The Digital Bolland inks have just become too stiff for me to really love.  It's still a magnificent cover mind, should shift a pile of extra copies, and I'm very pleased to see it

The day I'm unhappy about Bolland working for 2000ad will be the same one airborne pigs flee an icebound Hell, but it's not particularly inspired. I can't imagine retreading former glories holds a fantastic amount of interest for Bolland, and there's no secret concerning how to get the best out of him - he enjoys drawing surreal imagery and pretty girls wearing not very much. Have him knock out covers for Indigo Prime (or anything else John Smith writes) and watch him deliver his best work.

There's a definite stiffness to compositions he's worked up to pixel perfection on his Mac, but I'm not sure the unarguably dead line of digi-Bolland is that much of a problem on that cover - it's a magnified section of an image that's meant to be seen smaller and as part of a greater whole. Bolland's digital line and his draughtsmanship were all top notch as recently as his incredible Dial H covers:

Heath C Ackley

What we need is an official guide - a who's who if you will. I mean, who's the grumpy bloke in the helmet in the middle?
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

TordelBack

vzzbux

Who is the Judge below Anderson in the original?

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

judgerufian

Surprised no-one has mentioned that Hershey is not wearing her Chief Judge regalia

8-Ball

Quote from: judgerufian on 16 May, 2014, 11:24:57 AM
Surprised no-one has mentioned that Hershey is not wearing her Chief Judge regalia

I noticed it but I just asumed that he was featuring the classic 80's look rather than the current one. The same goes for Anderson and Chopper.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

strontium71

What's that blob of red , just below Dredd's eagle breast?
...because I hate you.

Fungus

Quote from: strontium71 on 16 May, 2014, 01:26:58 PM

BB's only mistake, ever? Damn colouring-in-by-computer.

Andrew_J

Quote from: strontium71 on 16 May, 2014, 01:26:58 PM

My guess is that he's done that deliberately in order to adhere to the ancient Buddhist principle of Wabi-Sabi, that "nothing is perfect". I mean it couldn't be a mistake obviously.

Zanti Misfit

Just to add my bit:
The Outer Limits 'Architects of Fear' creature is featured on the cover of Prog 82 (on the right, at the back- sorry, I can't post it here..).

AOF is a smashing episode of The Outer Limits, and indeed, provides the foundation for the central theme of Watchmen (Moore acknowledged this by having that very episode announced on Sally Juspeczyk's telly towards the end of the tale. Even the film version references The Outer Limits opening credits).

Beautiful Megazine cover, by the way.

TordelBack

Frank

Aye, well done Misfit. That's us wrung every last ounce of marrow out of that one, unless anyone fancies trying to guess whose elbow and rolled up sleeve that is on the far right of the image.