Main Menu

Are the 1990s DC comics 'Judge Dredd' and ''Legends of the law'' worth reading?

Started by Michael Knight, 11 May, 2016, 07:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

Hi folks,

Are these worth reading? Got a couple of issues of Dc's 'Judge Dredd' back in the day but never caught up with series. Was round the time UK newsagents were banned from selling american comics on newstands. Think it was due to some licensing issues or something? :)

IndigoPrime

Of the two series, I recall Legends of the Law being the least bad. The main Judge Dredd one was essentially unreadable, but the other one didn't make you want to punch your own face in, just to distract from the sheer horror of it all. I wouldn't personally bother tracking them down though, unless you're some kind of masochist.

James Stacey

Only worth reading if you have absolutely nothing left to read.

Richard

The first four issues of Legends of the Law were written by John Wagner and are well worth reading. The story is about Anderson as a cadet being assessed by Dredd.

maryanddavid

I think Legends of the Law is worth picking up, W&G's first story is decent, and it features a rookie Anderson.
The artwork on the series was good too, I have a soft spot for Dan Chichesters academy tale, drawn by Anthony Williams.

SuperSurfer

If you like to see Chief Judge Fargo in a cardigan, go for it. Am I remembering that properly? Quick Google search. Oh, in the DC version Fargo was originally a "hotshot District Attorney".

Give it a miss.

But do seek out the first four issues of Legends of the Law, written by Wagner and Grant. Underrated. A shame they haven't been reprinted (to my knowledge). It was great having the masters script longer episodes of Dredd and that alone makes them worth seeking out. I recall some excellent pacing that I thought at the time wouldn't be possible in prog sized episodes.

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Mattofthespurs

Dreddzilla

I think it's a good read if you want to know how not to write, Joe.

I didn't like the way they played Fargo as some manipulative madman pulling the strings for a lot of the chaos in the book (even going so far as to support Booth) Really disliked the book taking place in the 2040's and they made Dredd too much of a idiot.

Magnetica

I have complete sets of both of these, but have never felt the need to re-read them. I guess the best I can say about them is they are (probably) better than the recent IDW Judge Dredd stuff.

If memory serves that is....

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 11 May, 2016, 10:51:51 PM
The first four issues of Legends of the Law were written by John Wagner and are well worth reading. The story is about Anderson as a cadet being assessed by Dredd.
That'd make a good idea for a film  ;)

As for the actual question - I like Legends of the Law - some pretty good artwork (including covers), but give the main DC title a miss, much like the IDW mini-series vs main title (unless you suffer from the curse of completism).

Sandman1

Quote from: Dreddzilla on 12 May, 2016, 08:28:46 AM
I think it's a good read if you want to know how not to write, Joe.

I didn't like the way they played Fargo as some manipulative madman pulling the strings for a lot of the chaos in the book (even going so far as to support Booth) Really disliked the book taking place in the 2040's and they made Dredd too much of a idiot.

In what way did they depict Dredd in a bad manner? I would appreciate it if someone could give examples. 
Error...

JOE SOAP

The titular comic's earlier attempt at writing Judge Dredd "Origins" is a jam of bum-notes but worth a blast from an historical perspective.