Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Current TV Boxset Addiction  (Read 125943 times)

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
Re: Current TV Boxset Addiction
« Reply #1965 on: 17 October, 2018, 06:57:22 pm »
* Iron Fist S2 - Very good indeed with an amazing final episode season 3 set-up -- only for the series to then be canceled. :(

I believe the wording of the cancellation announcement strongly suggests that the characters/plot lines will carry over into the remaining Netflix Marvel shows. I haven’t been paying attention too closely because I haven’t watched Iron Fist S2 yet.
Eagle Award Nominated Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • Your Friends and Neighbors
« Reply #1966 on: 17 October, 2018, 08:01:12 pm »
I found Luke Cage and Iron Fist's sophomore seasons to suffer from the same problem: they took the major tropes and themes of fun, outrageous genres originating outside the honky cultural monopoly (blaxploitation, kung fu) and saddled them with white television's embarrassment with genre fiction for which it overcompensates with po-facedness and violent excess.
A lot of Luke Cage just transplants its parent genre's nastiness and fetishism of the debasement of minorities and ditches everything positive.  Likewise with Iron Fist, which also just sort of meanders through some really dated superhero story tropes about stealing superpowers and being worthy, which would have simply been disappointing on its own terms if not for the fact that this iteration of the powers-stealing plot has been lifted wholesale from the cutscenes of the PS1 videogame Wu-Tang: Taste The Pain, and the fact that they don't acknowledge this in an age where lampshade-hanging is a Freudian compulsion in every single writing room in North America just shows how desperate they are to be taken seriously.
These shows were equally boring and unoriginal - though special mention goes to Luke Cage's terrible fight direction - but Iron Fist's utterly stupid ending probably takes the biscuit for no other reason than making me happy this show is dead.

And can we talk about how overlong these dumbass superhero shows are?  Better Call Saul only gets 10 episodes a season, FFS.  These superhero shows are at least 3 episodes too long - especially if you're playing Luke Cage's dad.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: 17 October, 2018, 08:46:07 pm »
And can we talk about how overlong these dumbass superhero shows are?  Better Call Saul only gets 10 episodes a season, FFS. 

It's a sign of being utterly spoiled with great telly,  but the missus and I look at the prospect of several loooong seasons of backlog of these superhero shows and just retreat to something more focused like the aforementioned BCS (near-perfect jewels, each to be savoured), or Inside No. 9, just 6 lovely little slices a year.

Worse,  if something can cover the ground in just 30 minutes, we're all over it - The Good Place or Santa Clarita Diet, yum-yum,  I'll take two please.   But 39 hours of Daredevil, tying into 100 hours of other stuff, cheeses just no.
« Last Edit: 17 October, 2018, 08:47:41 pm by TordelBack »