Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 June, 2018, 08:24:41 AM
Quote from: SIP on 21 June, 2018, 06:51:51 AM
Just for clarity, I was talking about cinema attendance drop off rates, NOT comparing total box office of each movie to its previous movie. The drop off rates for last jedi were reportedly more than double (70-80%) that of Empire strikes back (20-30%) in its second week. The drop off rates were much higher than any star wars movie.

Apologies SIP, misread you there. 

(That may in part be confirmation bias on my part because the family and I went back 3 times, including twice to IMAX, and I bought the BluRay! I even bought some of the shitty 5POA toys, 'cos who could live without matching Rose & Paige Tico action figures.  Now if only I could scare up a few quid for Tallie's A-Wing... )

Ha ha, you will certainly receive no judgement from me on that one, the amount of plastic tat that I own at this point!

It's a divisive debate to be sure.....the people who loved "it" appear to be frustrated by the people that hated it and vice versa. I just hope they don't kill off the franchise enough that we don't get any more films like "Solo", which I really enjoyed.

wedgeski

I want an Obi-Wan movie for the simple reason that it would be nice to see Ewan Mcgregor get a crack at the character under a decent director, with a decent script. I fear the problem is that Obi-Wan must surely be wallowing in survivor guilt/PTSD before he finds redemption as Luke's mentor. It won't make for a happy story, will it?

TordelBack

Quote from: wedgeski on 21 June, 2018, 09:06:49 AM
I want an Obi-Wan movie for the simple reason that it would be nice to see Ewan Mcgregor get a crack at the character under a decent director, with a decent script. I fear the problem is that Obi-Wan must surely be wallowing in survivor guilt/PTSD before he finds redemption as Luke's mentor. It won't make for a happy story, will it?

It will when he's reunited with live-action Ahsoka!  Whatever anyone's feelings on the Sequels/Story films, even the ropiest performances are streets ahead of what passed for acting in most of the Prequels - so I'd agree entirely, seeing what a good actor like McGregor could do with a more 'modern' working environment would be a treat. But then they went with [spoiler]TCW's Sam Witwer for Maul[/spoiler] in Solo, rather than the great [spoiler]Peter Serafinowitz[/spoiler], so who knows, they could go for James Arnold Taylor in a comedy beard for Obi-Wan...

My other main interest in a putative Obi-Wan movie is seeing how they avoid saying that name for its entire duration..

IAMTHESYSTEM

By the end of the film, he'll have learned to kill again! Just like the cop in Die Hard. Learning to kill Imperial Agents, assorted scum and Villainy plus the odd indigenous Sand People massacre will make heal Obi Wan's battered soul and make him whole again. It's that or 2 hours of Ewan McGregor crying then sitting bolt upright shouting 'Charlies in the trees!' while suffering Vietnam flashback style psychotic episodes. His film could be the Dr Strangelove of the Star Wars Universe: How I learned to love the Death Star and stop worrying.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

SIP

Serafinowitz was fairly vocal in ripping the Phantom menace to pieces wasn't he? Probably why they went with Witwer.

Still, Ewan has put the boot in a few times in the past too.....fingers crossed he gets that obi wan outing.

dweezil2

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 21 June, 2018, 10:52:34 AM

By the end of the film, he'll have learned to kill again! Just like the cop in Die Hard. Learning to kill Imperial Agents, assorted scum and Villainy plus the odd indigenous Sand People massacre will make heal Obi Wan's battered soul and make him whole again. It's that or 2 hours of Ewan McGregor crying then sitting bolt upright shouting 'Charlies in the trees!' while suffering Vietnam flashback style psychotic episodes. His film could be the Dr Strangelove of the Star Wars Universe: How I learned to love the Death Star and stop worrying.

The 'Vietnam' angle would offer a nice descent in to the heart of darkness character ark, echoing Apocalypse Now, which in itself would be a cheeky nod to the fact that George Lucas was considering directing the film before Coppola took the reigns!
Jedi heads on bamboo sticks anyone?  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

I, Cosh

They could do all sorts of stuff with an Obi Wan movie. Tattooine Western seems what people are after but he didn't have to spend the whole time there.

Just a pity McGregor is such a godawful actor.

We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Darth Maul has 2 lines of dialogue in The Phantom Menace or 31 words.

Tatooine is sparsely populated. If the homing trace is correct, I will find them quickly, Master.
At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last, we will have revenge.

Since Witwer was the one charged with turning him into an actual personality and the one fans would most identify the character with, bringing Serafinowitz back makes less sense. I found McGregor's Kenobi impression much worse - but the best Kenobi outside the original is in Rebels: https://youtube.com/watch?v=no4SxdIIDBE

JOE SOAP

The implication would be, along with the subsequent blu ray sales...

It's an incomplete picture, though. Blu-Ray sales were 56% down from The Force Awakens –in the US– but that is not an accurate picture in itself since general sales of all physical discs have dropped approx. 10% every year since 2015 because of the rise in subscription streaming and digital purchase, so unless you get the worldwide total including all platforms, it's hard to know what the actual 'sales' drop-off is.

Professor Bear

I recall the only major concern was the dropoff in Chinese ticket sales, though that would likely have little to do with grumpy Star Wars fanboys as the property doesn't have the pop-cultural lineage over there that it does in the West.

SIP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 June, 2018, 01:28:32 PM
The implication would be, along with the subsequent blu ray sales...

It's an incomplete picture, though. Blu-Ray sales were 56% down from The Force Awakens –in the US– but that is not an accurate picture in itself since general sales of all physical discs have dropped approx. 10% every year since 2015 because of the rise in subscription streaming and digital purchase, so unless you get the worldwide total including all platforms, it's hard to know what the actual 'sales' drop-off is.

That's an excellent point Joe and not one that I had considered. I feel like maybe we'll need to look back at this in 10 years time to see what the whole picture actually was.

SIP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 June, 2018, 02:28:03 PM
I recall the only major concern was the dropoff in Chinese ticket sales, though that would likely have little to do with grumpy Star Wars fanboys as the property doesn't have the pop-cultural lineage over there that it does in the West.

I think the China thing is a red herring, not being popular in China certainly didn't impact on the box office of every other star wars film.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 21 June, 2018, 02:59:07 PM
That's an excellent point Joe and not one that I had considered. I feel like maybe we'll need to look back at this in 10 years time to see what the whole picture actually was.

There's no doubt it's a more complex picture now with 3-4 generations of fans with differing opinions on what Star Wars should/should not be. I doubt I represent much of a median: I like the Originals, the Prequel cartoons, the Sequels/spin-offs – and The Holiday Special.

Quote from: SIP on 21 June, 2018, 03:06:50 PM
I think the China thing is a red herring, not being popular in China certainly didn't impact on the box office of every other star wars film.

It's no red-herring: before 2015, Star Wars in China never really had a box-office (The Phantom Menace earned $4,100,273) and outside of the bootleg video market, the originals weren't seen for donkey's years.

Cue DM xenophobic headline: A long time afterwards, in a country far, far away... China shows Star Wars in cinemas for the first time nearly four decades after the rest of the world

When the Chinese government relaxed and allowed more foreign films to be released, The Force Awakens was the first time for the general audience in China to become familiar with Star Wars – which is why it had such a good turn-out, but also why they didn't return in such large numbers with each successive film: they realised didn't really like Star Wars. They don't have the cultural attachments to Luke, Han & Leia we do.

JOE SOAP

Of course that's probably what you meant anyway, SIP.

Expectations on China are huge for Western blockbusters; for one to fail in that market is a big financial gap.

JOE SOAP

I can only assume this is a parody account; it's funny if it is...actually it's still funny if it's serious:

https://twitter.com/RMTheLastJedi/status/1009451938444914690

WELCOME TO THE REBELLION

This is a campaign to provide Disney an opportunity to course correct with the Star Wars franchise.  The fans are completely divided and the core goal of Star Wars has been abandoned.  The goal is to not make one half of the fandom happy over the other, it is to make a film that the fandom in general as a whole enjoys.   

The hero archetype's of the original films is what made these so great, it made characters that everyone could relate to regardless of their background and beliefs.  No longer having this core element along with poor storytelling, has made the franchise divisive and in disarray.

The producers behind this have pledged to cover the budget, but you can pledge an amount to have your voice heard.  You DO NOT have to put financial or personal information in, just an email address and a pledge.

https://www.remakethelastjedi.com