Main Menu

DUNE rights acquired by Legendary Films.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 22 November, 2016, 02:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Do we have so little to talk about that we're actually interested in who came up with what idea in a film of a thousand ideas?

Jim_Campbell

Seems a bit harsh. Not every thread or post is going to be of interest to every forum member!

It's not like this place is alive with traffic these days... I don't think sniping at other posters because you don't personally find a conversation interesting is desperately helpful.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CalHab

Well, I found it an interesting diversion, at least.

wedgeski

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 January, 2019, 09:57:34 AM
Seems a bit harsh. Not every thread or post is going to be of interest to every forum member!

It's not like this place is alive with traffic these days... I don't think sniping at other posters because you don't personally find a conversation interesting is desperately helpful.
You're right, I apologise. I was triggered by something in the last few posts. No-one's problem but mine. :)

Funt Solo

Quote from: wedgeski on 09 January, 2019, 09:50:06 AM
Do we have so little to talk about that we're actually interested in who came up with what idea in a film of a thousand ideas?

People love Blade Runner so much that, yes, they are interested in who came up with what idea.  I was watching Mark Kermode wax lyrical the other day about exactly that: the fact that despite being able to talk to the actual creators, there was still disagreement about one of the central mysteries of the first movie.

Minutiae, you either dig it or you don't: although there are many sub categories of either option, sorted alphabetically or by distance or height or fathomability (my favorite).  This is a great example.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: wedgeski on 09 January, 2019, 12:02:48 PM
You're right, I apologise. I was triggered by something in the last few posts. No-one's problem but mine. :)

I'm going to pretend that I've never made an bad-tempered or ill-considered post whose tone had absolutely nothing to do with the post I was responding to and everything to do with my mood and/or state of mind at the time.

Fortunately, the search function on this forum is so terrible so I'm confident that no one will be able to turn up any evidence to the contrary.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

wedgeski

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 January, 2019, 05:10:43 PM
Quote from: wedgeski on 09 January, 2019, 12:02:48 PM

I'm going to pretend that I've never made an bad-tempered or ill-considered post whose tone had absolutely nothing to do with the post I was responding to and everything to do with my mood and/or state of mind at the time.

Fortunately, the search function on this forum is so terrible so I'm confident that no one will be able to turn up any evidence to the contrary.
Don't concern yourself. I'm making a list for next time.

Link Prime

Quote from: CalHab on 09 January, 2019, 10:12:27 AM
Well, I found it an interesting diversion, at least.

The Soap-box never fails to entertain with those atypical quotes and links.

JOE SOAP

CalHab

Quote from: von Boom on 09 January, 2019, 08:32:40 PM
Good choice there. He'd better start eating now.

"Put the pick in there, Pete, and turn it 'round real neat."

IAMTHESYSTEM

Is Paul Atreides a Superhero? I've read that Frank Herbert's Dune is a sort of grim commentary on the dangers of absolute power. It has a strong ecological element and also the necessities of obtaining power through Religious subterfuge. But the genetically advanced prescient Superman is the main protagonist, Paul becomes Emporer by his ability to foresee future events. Marvel and DC dominate the Box Office, and I enjoy them, but their stories of 'superhumans' riding to the rescue I fear might reflect the times to well. Don't Trump, the Yellow Vested and others all claim to be radicals overthrowing the old guard, 'riding to the rescue' when they appear to me mere mirror reflections of went before more even extreme versions of Neo-Libertarianism. DUNE ends with Paul, an Aristocratic Superhuman overthrowing another aristocratic Despot the Padishah Emporer. Paul then sets up HIS Empire sending the Fremen on a Jihad to devastate the galaxy and keep any opposition to his rule occupied. All you get is a changing of the guard; a revolution is merely a tool to take power for yourself. Those Superhero movies might be far more Horror story than I've noticed before.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

CalHab

That's a valid reading, I think. It doesn't really address the theme of extremism and the way that religion gets distorted by power. It's at least 20 years since I've read the books, though.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: CalHab on 11 January, 2019, 08:28:11 AMIt doesn't really address the theme of extremism and the way that religion gets distorted by power. It's at least 20 years since I've read the books, though.

It's been about 25 years since I've read the books but as far as I can recall, from Dune Messiah onwards, and with the later introduction of the Honored Matres, that's a distinct theme.

Tjm86

The first novel plays with it subtly.  The role of religion and prophecy are significant themes, together with ecology and eugenics.  I'm not sure I'd describe Muad d'ib as a 'superhero', rather as a superman in the Nietzschean sense of the word.  The 2nd and 3rd books really bring the dangers of 'religion' to the fore as Alia takes on the mantle  of power then Paul's children.  So yes, extremism and so on run through the books.