Main Menu

Judge Dredd Funko Universe

Started by sheridan, 03 June, 2017, 02:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Very short review as I'm off out in a sec...

I bought it for completeness sake, and was pleasantly surprised - much better than than the usual IDW stuff (mini-series from 2000AD creators notwithstanding).

Michael Knight

Cheers for heads up Sheridan. I too bought it being a completist, only to think it a waste of money when funds are tight at moment. However I may be pleasantly surprised when it arrives.

terryworld

my LCS let me put aside 100 back progs and pay them off (with a good discount) over a week, so i thought "i'll buy something off them to say thanks". picked this up on a whim. and....
i was really pleasantly surprised. it's no wagner mega-epic, but it's a lot of fun (the dark judges are hilarious). hoping it gets dredd in front of a bunch of new eyes and helps promote all things tooth over in trumpland.

sheridan

Slightly longer review...

As long as you're not put off by the cutsiness factor, the depiction of Dredd's character is actually spot-on (more than can be said by the main IDW Dredd comics we've had over the past five years, and DC before them).

First up, Crim Story: the narration introduces potential readers to concepts of Mega-City One (population 800,000,000), the Judges and Judge Dredd.  In a 1980s 2000AD / Daily Star Dredd-style there's a bit of a twist with the narration and a comedy pay-off.

All Pupped Up: the weakest of the three tales (pun not intended, as it's about a pug hunt) but still readable.

Matters of Life & Death: the Dark Judges attack, turning the citizenry into a zombie plague.  Dredd and Anderson intervene.  We get alternate versions of the DJs (not like the expanded thirteen dark judges IDW did a few years back).  I liked it, especially the disguised Dredd and 'goth' Anderson ;)

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 04 June, 2017, 12:34:56 PM
As long as you're not put off by the cutsiness factor,

...and actually I had been put off by the cutsiness factor, but managed to see past it to enjoy the comic itself.