Main Menu

Mario Odyssey

Started by JamesC, 27 October, 2017, 01:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I've spent a couple of hours playing Mario Odyssey this morning. I can confirm that the reviews are correct and it's absolutely amazing. I've turned it off now but it's the type of game I could easily spend all day on. I think I'll have to limit myself to short sessions or I'll start getting addicted.
I think they've done just about everything right on this one. It feels like it's taken inspiration from the best bits of all the Mario games of the past. Bloody brilliant.

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 27 October, 2017, 01:40:22 PM
I'll have to limit myself to short sessions or I'll start getting addicted.

Good luck with that Jimmy.

radiator

It's a lovely, lovely game.

How are people doing? I'm currently on 279 moons.

Link Prime

Such a great game.

Currently on about 350 Moons, but have been pacing myself and trying to get as many from each world before moving on (I figured out quickly enough that several Moons are 'locked' at an early stage of the game- there will be some backtracking to come).

I also spent an obscene amount of time trying to get the 2nd Beach Volleyball Moon, then rage quit for the first time in about a decade

Amiibo are useful for getting free tips, and the Peach (Wedding Outfit) Amiibo is dead handy- tap it for 6 x life segments at any time, indefinitely.

JamesC

I haven't had much time to play since my first session - just 5 mins here and there. I'm not sure how many moons I have to get but I've just defeated the big centipede thing in New Donk City. Have a way to go yet!

radiator

QuoteI also spent an obscene amount of time trying to get the 2nd Beach Volleyball Moon, then rage quit for the first time in about a decade

Yeah, that beach volleyball bit sucks. Even getting to 15 is really hard. Didn't even attempt the second one.

Currently on 314. I pretty much went straight for completion asap, as I knew taking a glance around the levels that the sheer number of moons would mean a lot of backtracking either way. I like dipping in and out of each level, grabbing a few then moving on once I get bored. Favourite levels so far have got to be Metro Kingdom and [spoiler]Mushroom Kingdom[/spoiler].

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is the best Mario game since 64....

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 07 November, 2017, 06:13:02 PM
QuoteI also spent an obscene amount of time trying to get the 2nd Beach Volleyball Moon, then rage quit for the first time in about a decade

Yeah, that beach volleyball bit sucks. Even getting to 15 is really hard. Didn't even attempt the second one.

Thing is, I know I'll have to get it some day.
Tried to get it again last night for an hour, and ended up hanging my head like Dredd at the end of Day of Chaos.

Definitely the best Mario game since 64, and it may surpass my nostalgia for that game yet.

radiator

It's great. I was initially a little worried that the game would be too easy, but it's amazing how the difficulty gradually ramps up over time - I'm approaching 350 moons now, and I've hit a few really quite difficult challenges. I can see that getting every single moon is going to be a real test of 25 years of Mario-playing experience.

What's really nice though is that the game doesn't needlessly punish you for failure - ie having to restart an entire level if you die. I also really like that the moons, as opposed to the stars in 64, are all fairly bite-sized, manageable challenges. The variety keeps it from getting tedious. What I really love is how much emphasis the game puts on exploration, something that has been almost totally lost on the last 15 years of Mario games. I feel like the conventional wisdom was that the joy of exploring a 3d virtual space became passe very quickly after 64 hit (and the linearity and lack of true exploration in modern games is a big contributing factor to my waning interest in videogames as a whole). Odyssey makes that concept feel novel and special all over again.

A masterpiece.

Woolly

Spent more than a few hours on this now, and can thoroughly agree this is the best Mario to date.

The smaller, and more numerous, challenges work in the same way Zelda's shrines work - if you get stuck, move on, it's never game breaking.

Loving it!

Link Prime

Quote from: Woolly on 08 November, 2017, 09:24:58 PM
if you get stuck, move on, it's never game breaking.

No. No.
We're all staying on that beach until we've completed the second volleyball challenge. All of us.

< Wipes sweat from forehead with loaded handgun >

radiator

Yep, this game gets hard.

I'm currently attempting some of the [spoiler]Dark Side of the Moon[/spoiler] bits... Wowzers. Already it's approaching the difficulty of the very final stages of 3D Land, and there are still somehow another 500 moons to collect after this?!?!?!?!

The [spoiler]bunny boss rush[/spoiler] was pretty nightmarish, but doable with a little patience and persistence. These platforming challenges where you don't have the cap tho... Sheesh.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 14 November, 2017, 05:52:15 PM
there are still somehow another 500 moons to collect after this?!?!?!?!

Go shoppin- I bought about 100 Moons post end-game.

Approaching 700 Moons now- it is indeed getting hard, and I've played so much I'm seeing that little f*ucker doing backflips when I close my eyes at night.

radiator

QuoteGo shoppin- I bought about 100 Moons post end-game.

I wasn't sure about the whole buying moons thing - ie is it a cheat? Are you buying moons you'd otherwise have to find?

Also, anyone know what the '2' icons on the map are?

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 15 November, 2017, 11:50:19 PM

I wasn't sure about the whole buying moons thing - ie is it a cheat? Are you buying moons you'd otherwise have to find?

Ah no, nothing like that- the purchasable Moons are there to pad out (what I assume to be) the gap between approx 800 achievable Moons and the final tally of 999.

When you see a '2' icon on the map it shows the location of two Power Moons (normally inside a warp pipe mini-level).

radiator

Quote from: Link Prime on 16 November, 2017, 09:10:24 AM
Quote from: radiator on 15 November, 2017, 11:50:19 PM

Ah no, nothing like that- the purchasable Moons are there to pad out (what I assume to be) the gap between approx 800 achievable Moons and the final tally of 999.

When you see a '2' icon on the map it shows the location of two Power Moons (normally inside a warp pipe mini-level).

Ah! Cool, thanks.

505 now. Man, [spoiler]Darker Side[/spoiler] is a barrel of laughs, isn't it?