Main Menu

Rian Johnson to create all new STAR WARS trilogy

Started by JOE SOAP, 09 November, 2017, 10:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Johnson will create a brand-new Star Wars trilogy, the first of which he is also set to write and direct, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.

As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

"We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. "He's a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy."

"We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi," Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. "Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it. We can't wait to continue with this new series of films."

http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy

JOE SOAP

Disney...is planning a live-action "Star Wars" TV series to air on its entertainment streaming service that is expected to launch by the end of 2019.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/star-wars-tv-series-disney-streaming-service-1202611408/

ABCwarBOT

JOE SOAP

Doesn't seem that radical an idea. Non-Skywalker stories have been part of the expanded universe for decades. Can't rely on the same storylines for the rest of time.

O Lucky Stevie!

But Joe: Father Issues + Climatic Attack Upon A Space Station With Robotic Sidekick is the veritable of veritablest of licences to print money  :o
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

jacob g

Kind of don't care about next trillogy for now, but I'm interested in live action tv series, just pure curiosity (and it's great move, this could be great selling point for disney streaming service they want to lunch in near future).
margaritas ante porcos

I, Cosh

Is this going to be like the time when Bo and Luke went on holiday for a series and their cousins came to visit instead?
We never really die.

TordelBack

I read the header as 'Boris Johnson', so my main reaction is relief.

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 November, 2017, 09:34:27 AM
I read the header as 'Boris Johnson', so my main reaction is relief.

Nah, he's busy writing the script for Nightmare on Downing Street.

Tiplodocus

Hurrah! More Star Wars.  I am looking forward to this unreservedly.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheridan

I think it's good news, though will reserve proper judgement until the 14th of December.

Also.  This thing about the series taking place in a hitherto unexplored part of the galaxy... If that means it has no connection with anything we've seen before, what would actually make it Star Wars?

JOE SOAP

Smith

Quote from: sheridan on 10 November, 2017, 08:51:40 PM
This thing about the series taking place in a hitherto unexplored part of the galaxy...
Which probably means not seen in the movies part of the galaxy.
Also,oversaturation is already a problem here.

Tjm86

The one thing that put me off the comics when Dark Horse had the franchise was that it became impossible to keep track of everything going on.  When it was announced that Disney was taking over Lucasfilm, releasing a new trilogy, additional standalone films and even possibly a TV series, over saturation was my biggest concern too.  Looks like they are going to go for it despite the law of diminishing returns.   :|