Main Menu

Pat Mills joins new ComicScene UK magazine line-up

Started by rogue69, 22 February, 2018, 10:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Ill be giving the first issue a whirl, while £8.50 is not cheap for 48 pages, if its good its well worth it.

Leigh S

Anyone received this yet? 

I got chatting on FB and ordered the AKA tapes thing, which I assume might be coming out now, but was holding off for some reviews (or at least my copy of the AKA tapes!) before signing up to a sub.... seems deathly quiet here

maryanddavid

Not got mine yet, but the few soundings I've heard seem positive.

Frank

Quote from: Leigh S on 05 May, 2018, 10:52:34 AM
Anyone received this yet? 

I got chatting on FB and ordered the AKA tapes thing, which I assume might be coming out now, but was holding off for some reviews (or at least my copy of the AKA tapes!) before signing up to a sub.... seems deathly quiet here

I bought the confusingly numbered issue 0 of ComicScene and The AKA Tapes in pdf form.

Both are of interest to a comic reader of une certain age. Because of my own proclivities, I found John McShane's history of Neptune/Toxic, John Freeman's piece about comic sales, and the latest instalment of Pat Mills's attempt to reframe the relationship between work for hire creations and their creators of greatest interest.

The features on Batman/Dredd, Deadline, the late Steve Dillon and Tank Girl are nice without adding anything new, and there's lots of stuff about Lion/Valiant, Thunderbirds, Dan Dare and Dr Who too. The AKA Tapes are an opportunity to read familiar stories before they were polished in the retelling.

ComicScene features Rufus Dayglo peeling patch paper from a page of original McMahon art to reveal the original version of a classic page from The Day The Law Died. Which is nice.

Colin YNWA

They were giving it away free for FCBD at the Sheffield Forbidden Planet, which kinda made up for making my daughter queue up for 30 minutes only to find out at the last that the 2000ad had 'sold out'. I had a couple from my other store but wanted one to give to folks here.

Anyway not had a chance to read it but by George it seems rammed. Really glad to have picked it up and will report back when I get a chance, but given how much there is to read dunno how long this might take.

Steven Denton

I Picked this up at Portsmouth Comic Con, First issue is pretty good. there is a mix of stuff about comics history and current comics, which is nice to see as my fear was it was going to be a comics collectors magazine full of articles about things form 20 years ago.

The historical articles are fine, easy to read and generally informative but I would prefer more dirt on the process/frustrations/personal feelings, but comics creators generally seem to get on quite well and have professional respect for each other so there doesn't tend to be a lot of animosity and getting into the nitty gritty of the process may be tricky from the pre-blog days, when all you have is a fuzzy memory to go on. I like reading a good opinion peace so I would probably enjoy hearing more about how creators feel about their own work.

Talking of which, I enjoyed Pat Mills column and found it far more thought provoking and far less confrontational then I had expected.

Honestly, I came at ComicScene with a slightly negative attitude, looking for faults, and I was won over.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Steven Denton on 08 May, 2018, 11:38:59 AM
The historical articles are fine, easy to read and generally informative but I would prefer more dirt on the process/frustrations/personal feelings, but comics creators generally seem to get on quite well and have professional respect for each other not know who they might have to work with next week so there doesn't tend to be a lot of animosity

FTFY
We never really die.

Steven Denton

Mostly that was a joke but the thing about any historical article or interview is that you want it to tell you something you don't know. A lot of the creators form the golden era of British comics have been working since the 70's. I doubt being a bit loose lipped would dent their career prospects. One of the reasons the 1970 was a golden ere for chat shows was that all the old Hollywood stars were drawing towards the end of their careers and no longer felt they had to be carful about what they said about their co-stars or producers. Quite a lot of the time they liked and/or respected each other too and that's nice, but friction is always more fun to read about. 

Proudhuff

I actually bought this last week and a right hefty read it is too, like John McShane Toxic piece and a couple of other bits, there's a load of Dredd/2000ad stuff in there, cant see them keeping up the v high levels of comic stuff on display unfortunately.

recommended  :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me